latest MineLab Excal model...

(Heavy)

Elite Member
Who has bought a new Excal II recently? How long has this one been out now? Reviews had some 2 in 10 units coming off the line with problems for a while. Are all the bugs out is what I'm asking.

thanks

I bought mine in Aug 11 ive not had any problems. I did notice i could crank up the sensitivity higher than most to the point i wasnt sure it was working. But now with hunting almost every day im more aware of when its loosing depth and may be cranked to high. Ive been hunting about 18 years as a dirt digger so when i first got it i was a little concerned that it didnt look made well..... but shes sturdier than she looks.

Dew

Got mine right when they switched to production in Malaysia. All the talk had me a little worried but mine has held up like a champ, I do baby it though :lol:

Got mine from Australia in September...No problems so far - touch wood. Just lots of gold and platinum;)

2 out of 10 have problems...... what kind of problems? Sounds like a way to shift you away from one of the best machines in the water. I did a lot of research before i got mine and seemed like only some of those in service for awhile had issues like cable cracking, knobs, cracking coils. but those werent with the new machines as far a i know.

Dew

Got mine from Bib Boys Hobbies 2 weeks ago and its great... don't shop too much... just call or pm Bart, he'all give you a fantastic deal and fast too!

I was just doing my homework on this machine recently and it was a mention by Matt in a review (about the sixth one down) where he said 2 of 10 were lemons but he still gave a 5 star rating :lol:

http://metaldetectorreviews.net/detectors/23-1-excalibur1000.html

I just watched all Chicago Ron and Mark's YT video's over the last two days and if i don't stop looking at them I will be placing a call to KellyCo's soon. No offense to Bart but unless he's willing to toss in an SS tipped 6" RGT I'm kind of spoiled with all the fuss you get with a K'Co purchase LOL. Toss another lame pinpointer on the shelf or maybe take the extended warranty. You know you only get one year with the Excal II which means you get one season to find out if it was a bad day at the factory or not. For a water machine that could be as little as one or two outings.

So I'm not real comfortable with the MineLab Excal 1000 warranty.

Disclaimer: The point of this post is that the Excal II performs so well that I believe the owners of the machine have been willing to overlook, and correct, the two prominent issues with the stock version.

Those two issues (in order of annoyance):
1. The knobs strip/wear out very quickly.
2. The stock S-shaft with the electronics equipped is not balanced for day to day use of the device.

My experience:
I purchased my Excal II in November 2010 because I wanted the "end all" of beach machines, after doing a lot of reading on the 'net. It did not see much action except for in the summer months of 2011 (May through August), and recently.

About two months ago (14 months after purchased) it began having an issue with the DISC/PP (Pin Point) knob. It seems that the knob may be stripped and would not switch between DISC/PP mode when turned AND it has occasionally, randomly switched between DISC and PP mode. After research on the 'net I concluded that knobs stripping out can be considered a common issue. Keep in mind that my hunting style before this issue occurred was to swing primarily in DISC, and much of the time locate many targets in PP mode. I would turn the knob and switch between modes often.

I called Minelab and spoke to a customer support representative named Greg in January, and after hearing the explanation of the issue, placed me on hold and spoke with a technical representative. Greg returned and said that it was most likely a bad potentiometer and that my machine may need service.

After that I guarded the knobs well, and researched further into common settings for the machine. I now hunt with the knobs set at the same position all of the time (for the non obvious knob setting: sensitivity is at 12 o'clock).

Eventually I will send the machine in for work. I know I could fix a stripped knob, yet I feel there may also be another issue with the rheostat aka potentiometer for DISC/PP mode.

In closing: The machine works so well it has me considering moving towards making YT videos.

Who has bought a new Excal II recently? How long has this one been out now? Reviews had some 2 in 10 units coming off the line with problems for a while. Are all the bugs out is what I'm asking.

thanks

There has been occasional issues with the ExcallII but in retrospect to the numbers sold it is a low percentage. Most common issues are the Pent knobs. since they are mechanical and do wear down it is inevitable there maybe a few that fail. One of the unique services we offer is an extended Warranty on the ExcallII. It puts you the customer at ease knowing you are covered for a full 2 years. 1 year Minelab 1 Year New England Detectors. If it is going to fail it will fail within those two years. Do not let the posts about peoples experience with the detector sway you from the unit. It is one of the best beach detectors on the market. Allot of folks complaints were the turnaround time on repairs from Minelab. This has changed drastically in the past year and have only gotten better. Recently, Minelab has opened up several repair centers throughout the country making shipping and service time all that faster. The good outweigh the bad on this unit. Let me know if you have any specific questions or concerns. We can offer some exclusive packages no other dealer is capable of , and we have a rock solid price guaranteed on everything we sell.

Hope this puts you at ease about the ExcallII It is a great detector !!

Andrew
New England Detectors /Owner

Got my new one in august of last year works great. 51. grams so far this year

btw... there is no doubt you two guys own the beach front in the Chicago winter months. I drive down Lakeshore and look in amazement at those frosty cuts wondering if I have the balls to park and go down and do what you two do to get all that gold.

Your video's are shot very carefully but the "giving beach" is not that hard to see if you watch all 63 :urock: not to worry Ron a noob fresh water beach hunter isn't going to be able to read the beach like you and Mark can for a long time.

Andrew

This makes me feel better about MineLab service and warranty.

There is an Anderson carbon straight shaft, brass core knobs and knob guards available that seem to be common accessories for Excal fans. Do these mods void the warranty?

Any changes, will Void the warranty...here is a good one...from Max....

Me, I would buy old before new, I still don't feel 100% about the new..

Any changes, will Void the warranty...here is a good one...from Max....

Me, I would buy old before new, I still don't feel 100% about the new..

That's ahame they would send it back sounding like that. Did Max ever follow-up on that and what was the outcome ?

We can offer some exclusive packages no other dealer is capable of , and we have a rock solid price guaranteed on everything we sell.

Andrew

I have bought two machines from New England Detectors in the past 5 months and nobody had even came close to beating Andrews' price.....not close.

The extra year warranty alone is worth buying there.IMHO

I got mine from Bart with a RTG scoop and the price whooped NED. The customer service I got from Bart is the best I've ever received. If you don't go there, at least give him a chance.

The reason i asked is that Matts review actually says 8 out of 10 HAVE Problems not 2. If this were true those problems would be all over the net. I mean take a look at the AT pro, its a good machine..... but had issues that we all heard a lot about before Garrett stepped up. The S shaft works, especially if you hip mount the machine so thats more of a complaint that a problem. Apparently ML feels more people dive with the Xcal than doesnt. The knobs.... cheap to replace if you are past warranty off Free bay, about $20 IF they break. Since we are giving shout outs.... Andrew at New England Detector treated me very well and ive sent several people his way who all were pleased with the sweet deals he gave them. Hes sure got my business.

Dew

That's ahame they would send it back sounding like that. Did Max ever follow-up on that and what was the outcome ?

That is a terrible senario and I would be very sad with the down time. I think until I find a dealer who will open the box, do a visual inspection, bench test, then put his personal (inspected by) stamp on one of these funky water machines I can't pull the trigger.

I'm not lookin for a discount or a deal on a new Excal II 1000, i'm just looking for a professional inspection before it ships so I can rave on how good the dealer was to do me this favor.

Honestly I don't care about extra do-dads and more free gear and the sponsers don't sell the exact scoop I want anyway. The warranty needs to be a 2 years minimum and if voided for a straight shaft, better knobs and a knob guard then this machine is not for me.

So which alias screen name dealer up there :funnyup: will spend some time checking out my equipment completely before it ships? I don't think K'Co is going to work with me on this request... they're more likely to just send a new machine if it's a fail :lol:

Back
Top Bottom