Got Bounty Hunter Time Ranger for Christmas - Should I keep or upgrade

silver49009

Forum Supporter
Hello all,

I just joined this awesome forum tonight. Here's my issue.

Wife bought me a Bounty Hunter Time Ranger for Christmas. I took it out for a few hours and then it started to snow. For the bounty hunter series this appears to be one of their top of the line.

However, when I look on other sites including this all I hear are the big names.

I want honest opinions. I'm going to hit detecting hard in the spring. I want something that is going to be able to coin hunt parks, fields, old home sites etc with the ability to find jewelry,relics and other goodies. I'm in Michigan so no gold to speak of unless it's a ring or possible rare coin.

I'm willing to go up to the $500.00 budget and this one ran about 200.00 I believe. I'm in the window to be able to return it and want some honest answers.

I guess what I'm asking is "will a 500 dollar model from one of the name brand companies provide better technology to find deeper targets" I know 90% of it is truly how comfortable the user is with his or her detector no matter what brand.

This is confusing so any help is greatly appreciated. I just don't want to realize this in the spring when I can't return it and have something with very little resale value.

Thanks.
Joe

I am nowhere near an expert but I can tell you that most people start off with a less expensive detector like the Bounty Hunter. If the money is an issue and you can get a cash refund, then I would return it. But that's my personal preference. If you have $500 to spend many people will recommend getting a Garrett AT Pro.
Otherwise, if I was to keep the one you have I would be perfectly satisfied, plus when you do upgrade you will have a spare to invite a buddy or family member along with. That is my plan anyways.

Well,

Has anyone gone out with a Bounty Hunter Time ranger and an AT Pro at the same time?

I'd be reallllly curious about how much better the AT Pro pics up coins and other items over the BH.

I have heard very good things about the TR from people who have used them. It was the top of the line machine for Bounty Hunter for over 10 years. That has got to say something. As far as comparing it to other machines currently out there, you will only get a honest opinion from people who have used both. Many times I have seen people say that the AT Pro is by far the better machine, but have they used both? The TR has many features of higher end units, but much cheaper. Take the time to learn it. Learn the tones first, then start comparing with the VDI numbers. If you hit the ground hard in the spring you should be able to find enough clad to upgrade soon enough, if you feel the need to. Just don't get caught up in the "need to upgrade" bug that many do. I still have my 10 year old Tracker IV that I use a lot. Remember that many coins are between 4-6 inches. That means that buying a higher end unit will just take longer to feel like you have broke even in this hobby :) You should also buy yourself a probe. Everyone on this site will recomend the Garrett Pro pointer, but there are others to choose from too. Vibra-probe, pistol-probe, treasure-mate, and the Harbor Freight. All of these will do the job. Do some reseach and pick what will work for you. I am going to purchase a Time-Ranger within a month or so. I am also going to buy a Vibra-probe. I have always wanted a TR. For around the same price as my Compadre you can't beat it. The probe will replace my HF probe. I am going with that unit because I want a probe that only detects at the tip, not the sides. I also only need about 1 inch of depth in a pinpointer, otherwise it defeats the purpose of a pp. Hope my opinions help you out.
GL and HH

I have never tried a bounty hunter. Its a lower end machine but remember you need to learn a machine to really know if its good or not. it takes aprox 25-50 hours of use to really "know" a machine. This includes the bench tests, and making a finds garden with different objects. bottle caps, coins, precious metals, and pull tabs.

Learn the settings, the sounds the machine makes, and how to push the sensitivity to the max for the best results.

Garrett Propointer is a MUST HAVE for any metal detectorist!!

I love my AT Pro. I went to an old school with Greg (older buddy who has a radio shack BH) We started hunting, I found a modern coin spill, he finds a Mercury dime, I got an Indian Head, he got a sterling ring, and both ended up with some nice finds. so Its all about getting your coil over the targets, and digging up the trash that might be masking the good targets.

I have heard very good things about the TR from people who have used them. It was the top of the line machine for Bounty Hunter for over 10 years. That has got to say something. As far as comparing it to other machines currently out there, you will only get a honest opinion from people who have used both. Many times I have seen people say that the AT Pro is by far the better machine, but have they used both? The TR has many features of higher end units, but much cheaper. Take the time to learn it. Learn the tones first, then start comparing with the VDI numbers. If you hit the ground hard in the spring you should be able to find enough clad to upgrade soon enough, if you feel the need to. Just don't get caught up in the "need to upgrade" bug that many do. I still have my 10 year old Tracker IV that I use a lot. Remember that many coins are between 4-6 inches. That means that buying a higher end unit will just take longer to feel like you have broke even in this hobby :) You should also buy yourself a probe. Everyone on this site will recommend the Garrett Pro pointer, but there are others to choose from too. Vibra-probe, pistol-probe, treasure-mate, and the Harbor Freight. All of these will do the job. Do some reseach and pick what will work for you. I am going to purchase a Time-Ranger within a month or so. I am also going to buy a Vibra-probe. I have always wanted a TR. For around the same price as my Compadre you can't beat it. The probe will replace my HF probe. I am going with that unit because I want a probe that only detects at the tip, not the sides. I also only need about 1 inch of depth in a pinpointer, otherwise it defeats the purpose of a pp. Hope my opinions help you out.
GL and HH

Agree
I'm newer too, and started with a beginners MD, for me it was a matter of funds, but now I'm glad because I am getting a better idea of what I want for an upgrade, I'm finding that my 150 will find all metal, and it's more a matter of reading the MD reaction to the find, some features make it easier to pinpoint, depth and size, help with IDing the metal, but all in all, its a matter of getting to know your MD, and digging all, is the only 100%guarantee of finding the exact depth, size, and metal type.

I am finishing my first year as a metal detectorist. I also bought my time ranger about this time last year. I have become hooked in a bad way. My wife thinks I am nuts. I detect every chance I get. I have done fresh water beaches, Schools, side walk strips, deserted lots, private homes and many parks. I have dug thousands of coins, junk jewelry. tokens and a lot of scrap copper and brass. My good finds are kind of slim. (not that I am compliaining) One ten carrot ring. 1858 flying eagle penny, v nickle,mercury dime , Benjamin half dollar and a washinton sliver quarter. We have an active detector club in town, so I dont know if competion has hampered my finds. I wish my time ranger went deeper.It will when the ground is wet. I also think that the recovery rate could be quicker. I am ready to upgrade this spring. I am thinking Tesro Tejon. I am glad i spent the small money I did to get started, but I now feel like I have to know what I am missing. Mabey I am missing nothing. The Tejon is about 600.00. I like the idea that the other posters pointed out about haveing a spare or an extra for friends, so I would recomend the time ranger based on that should you decide to upgrade.

Since You asked for opinions here is my Biased opinion:lol:
Run don't walk to return it:yes::yes:

Dollar for dollar there are better brands out there.

Before anyone asks I haven't used the Time Ranger but have used the Tracker 1D 505 and the Discovery. Complete waste of time:?:

Short story used the Discovery on a site of a late 18th century inn couldn't find anything but garbage. After I got a quility detector I have been able to pull close to 80 coins from this site 4 of which are from the late 1700's

There are three key things to finding good stuff in the hobby

1. Quality equipment
2. Being proficient with the equipment
3. Locating good sites to hunt

Not following these three simple rules means that you come home skunked more often then not.:?:

I have a BH505 for a first machine and it has been very good to me for 2 seasons... I don't know your model. I just got an ATP this Christmas and it is a big learning curve!!!!!!! I am very happy to still have the BH505 as a backup and to be able to share it with friends who are interested in MDing with me next spring!!!!! So in that respect...... 2 machines can be better than 1.

I don't know your model.

Yes you do I put the model in my original post BH Tracker 1D 505

I am very happy to still have the BH505 as a backup and to be able to share it with friends who are interested in MDing with me next spring!!!!!

I'm glad you are happy with but IMHO I wouldn't lend it to people intersted in the hobby it's the quickest way to turn them off:roll:

So in that respect...... 2 machines can be better than 1.

I'd rather have just one good machine but hey thats just me:?:

The BH505 should not be confused with the Tracker 1-D 505. Two totally different creatures. As I stated earlier, the only comparisons anyone should ever listen to are from people who have used the machines that they talk about.

This is the one that you had. Entry Level
images.jpg

This is a Time Ranger. Not entry level
TimeRangerVersion4.jpg

This is a 505.
Bounty_Hunter_Pioneer_505_Metal_Detector_1.jpg

But still a bounty hounty and dollar for dollar there are better machines... As I stated in my first post

My buddy has a BH and he does pretty good but he also built his own machine back in the days and does well with it. Now I have an AT Pro and it is a good machine especially if you want to hit some water up to ten feet with it. If you can save up for an Etrac, that is the ticket, but ya have a budget of $500 and you can get a great deal on a nice machine, but there will be a learning curve and you should be ok if you read up and look at vids online. HMMMM....I have an F5 sitting in the other room that has only been used once....pretty much brand new......Good luck with your choices and happy hunting...HH

Before anyone asks I haven't used the Time Ranger but have used the Tracker 1D 505 and the Discovery. Complete waste of time.

Which Discovery model did you have? I have the 3300 and that thing rocks. I am not offended because I do have other detectors and I still have my 3300. And dollar for dollar, when I bought it from Radio Shack for it's close out price of $115, there is/was no better machine.

:grin::grin:
This is a Time Ranger. Not entry level

Nice post but in my IMHO all bounty hunters are entry level:wow::wow:

Folks spend your hard earned money on brands that can't be purchased in big lots, walmarts, kmart ect...:shock::shock::shock:

Trust me if you stick with the hobby you will get IT!!

Felixthecat,

If memory serves me it was either a 3300 or mayybe a 3000 but it was purchsed in 1998 and it was a TOTAL piece of junk:?:

Head engineer for First Texas Dave Johnson also designed these machines. Many are not entry level. Just saying....:)....... :interesting:

Old Fisher: 1260, 1220, 1210, 1225, 1235, 1265, 1266, 1280, Impulse, CZ6, CZ5, CZ20, Gold Bug, Gold Bug II, TW6/Gemini, FX-3, and several industrial products.
Tesoro: Diablo MicroMax, Lobo Supertraq.
White’s: DFX, Beachhunter ID, GMT, MXT
Troy: Shadow X5
Bounty Hunter & related products: nearly everything now being manufactured. Many of these products are adapted from the original Teknetics which was designed by George Payne. The Teknetics T2 however was an entirely new design.
New Fisher: F75, F4, F5, F2, F70, New Gold Bug
BH Platinum, BH Gold,
Teknetics Alpha, Delta, Gamma, Omega, G2

Back
Top Bottom