digging plugs???

JunkInTheTrunk

Elite Member
NOT so Alpha Romeo 1 5 friendly California :(
Just received my Lesche Digger from KellyCo :yes: and went to the local park (near my work) and "practiced" digging plugs. My question is, is it "normally" okay to dig plugs out in the open (i.e. where people normally run and play)?:?: Obviously while no one is there, but the reason for asking is that my biggest fear is someone "rolling their ankle" if the plug doesn't sit correctly. Since you are "disturbing" the ground, when you put the plug back into place does it somewhat have a "sinkhole" affect after a few days?:?: Or in other words, does a plug somewhat eventually become a divet (spelling) in the ground? I asked this very same question in another thread of similar content, but no one either read the whole comment that I made or just didn't respond??? I just don't want someone to get hurt is all. My first plug was pretty nasty looking, but in my defense, the soil/dirt was like tiny, round, dirt, particles, etc... if you will. REALLY weird looking soil, and have NEVER seen anything like it... other than it being similar to potting soil. The rest of the surrounding area was somewhat "packed" dirt and somewhat wet because of them watering the "lawn"... I'm guessing? Anyways, could someone PLEASE answer the question for me, it would put my mind at ease AND I plan on digging more plugs in my "practice" area of the park before going to the open areas where people would normally be. BTW, I dug roughly 10 plugs and each plug was better and better, but still don't feel comfortable enough to do it "professionally". Anyways thank you and HH \_ people

p.s.
found: 3x pull tabs, 2x iron junk metal bits of some sorts, 3x pennies (1x penny that was REALLY corroded??? I didn't know a penny could get like that), 1x rusted nail and that was about it. It was getting too dark and the stomach was taking over the decision making:roll::no::lol::p

after i return the dirt back into the hole and flip the half moon shaped plug back on the hole i then give it a good stomp with my foot and the plug is in great shape with no sink hole,as long as i didn't remove something large from the hole like a can or big rock, then a slight divit might be there but nothing to worry about

In order to minimize the chances of little pot holes and such, your best bet is to make a habit of using a small hand towel to load up all the dirt in one pile, then put the "free" soil solidly back into the hole first as you empty the contents of the towel in the hole, then the divot of grass last before stomping it. I've tried "coin popping", but it's more an art form it seems besides the chances increase that you might damage a valuable coin.

One of the first two zincolns I dug was corroded really bad. I've dug copper pennies that were in pretty good shape but the zincolns can be quite bad.

THANK YOU guys!!!

Thanks for the comments and input guys.

dogpound, YES, you're right... it's NOT that hard, BUT I still need to practice more. I find that it is somewhat of an "art form" to digging plugs and leaving it like it was NEVER disturbed.

hubbit, I thought about the "tarp/towel" deal AFTER the fact. I was on the 3rd or so hole when it just occurred to me that I had forgot to bring a cloth of some sorts... I saw a video on Youtube that helped me somewhat figure how to dig a plug AND he too had a tarp. I just forgot to bring the damn thing:no:

Glimflashy, IS there some way to clean the penny OTHER THAN electrolisys (spelling)??? For what it is worth (obviously NOT that much) I don't want to "damage" my find (at least for right now).

here are the finds that I made... MAANNN, the pinpoint on my ACE250 AND having the GPP is WELL worth the cost. Most of my finds were roughly 4-5inches deep. The deepest one being ABOUT 6in or so. Thanks again guys and HH \_

Attachments

• LescheDigger.JPG
    LescheDigger.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 557
  • 3pennies_and_Trash.JPG
    3pennies_and_Trash.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 626
Glimflashy, IS there some way to clean the penny OTHER THAN electrolisys (spelling)??? For what it is worth (obviously NOT that much) I don't want to "damage" my find (at least for right now).
_

The ones I found that were bad weren't good enough to even consider cleaning. I mean they were pitted, that's how bad they were!
I'm new enough at this myself so you need to ask others about cleaning. I understand there are several ways. You might try a search for "cleaning finds" or some such.
Maybe try looking in the "Finds" section of the forum.

I don't dig plugs.... I use a sharpened screw driver to pop the coins out.
I have a hand digger that I built ,that I sometimes use to make a slit or X in the turf big enough to get my hand in to retreive the target. A slit or X in the turf can be pushed and stiched in place securely an leaves almost no sign that you were there.

In order to minimize the chances of little pot holes and such, your best bet is to make a habit of using a small hand towel to load up all the dirt in one pile, then put the "free" soil solidly back into the hole first as you empty the contents of the towel in the hole, then the divot of grass last before stomping it. I've tried "coin popping", but it's more an art form it seems besides the chances increase that you might damage a valuable coin.

Good tip. Refilling the hole is quick with the towel method too. Saves time for for more digs. Sometimes real sandy loose soil is impossible to dig a pretty plug but you can use some neighboring top soil to make it look a little better. No worst than a foot print. :D

I use a filleting knife which makes a very clean plug that fits nicely back in the hole. A day later you can't tell where I had been.

Digging plugs

I don't dig out an entire plug. I move in with the digger at about a 45 degree anger and saw around in a circle leaving about 4 inches still connected to the ground and root system. This serves three purposes. It is easy to simply put the plug back in place. The plug won't be sucked out by a heavy duty lawn mower used in most parks. And it assures the grass in the plug won't die and yellow up.
Also, having something to put any dirt on that you need to dig out of the hole is really good. It makes it easy and quick to dump the dirt back into the hole. Any dirt left behind on the grass will become very obvious in a day or two when it dries out. I take pride in making my digs invisible as though I was never there. If detecting is to survive then stealth is the name of the game. Let's not give them more reasons to outlaw what to me is the greatest hobby I have ever had. I'm going to continue detecting even if I have to do it from a wheelchair in my old old age.

I don't dig plugs.... I use a sharpened screw driver to pop the coins out.
I have a hand digger that I built ,that I sometimes use to make a slit or X in the turf big enough to get my hand in to retreive the target. A slit or X in the turf can be pushed and stiched in place securely an leaves almost no sign that you were there.

Ditto. Been doing that for years. I keep my lesche for the sneaky coins by the bush and tree roots.....

Dusty

After hunting with dwentzel228 last week, I picked up on his technique (I also picked up a Garrett PP and a left-handed Lesche... bad influence!).

I do three sides of a rectangle, pry up and see what the surprise is. I'm getting to the point where its total stealth. :)

I had been using the True Temper but I couldn't get a clean cut with it.

Back
Top Bottom