Evap-Rust or Apple Cider Vinegar for rust removal?

cathyrdh96

I came across a couple of suggestions for removing rust from iron relics on another MD forum. One person suggested Evapo-rust because it only acts on rust and would not harm any metals. The before and after pics were impressive. Later, he updated his post and suggested apple cider vinegar as he said the Evapo-rust was expensive. Anyone have any experience with these products? Here's the link to his post: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/cleaning-preservation/190623-best-method-cleaning-iron-relics.html

I came across a couple of suggestions for removing rust from iron relics on another MD forum. One person suggested Evapo-rust because it only acts on rust and would not harm any metals. The before and after pics were impressive. Later, he updated his post and suggested apple cider vinegar as he said the Evapo-rust was expensive. Anyone have any experience with these products? Here's the link to his post: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/cleaning-preservation/190623-best-method-cleaning-iron-relics.html

I've seen items cleaned by using Electrolysis rather than harsh chemicals that turned out pretty sweet. Just a suggestion on my part, it's something that's easy to make.

I use electrolysis. I have two pieces in the tank now. I'm cleaning them for a detecting friend.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

I have used evapo-rust to clean out a gas tank. Worked very well and was able to re use the stuff to de rust some other things. Stuff works wonders on any rust, very good for things you cant clean well like springs and intricate items, Is pricy, I got mine at harbor freight and used the 25 percent off coupon.

Thanks for the feedback. I also got mine at Harbor Freight, although I didn't think to look for a coupon. I did a lot of research on this product and decided it was safe enough to try...I have my items soaking now and I'm checking them each hour. So far, so good. It seems to be removing the rust, albeit slowly...but I suppose that might be a good thing. I'll you guys know how it goes :)

Yeah I wouldn't worry about the time it takes. Electrolysis takes a long time as well. Sometimes 24-48 hours or more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've used evapo-rust frequently for cleaning old hand planes and tools. I found that you can re-use evapo-rust frequently, and that will keep the cost down compared to buying the vinegar. The only thing to be careful about, is if you soak for several hours with the piece resting on the bottom of the container, it can develop a dark mark where it rested that can be very hard or impossible to remove. I usually buy mine in large containers at auto parts stores, check for specials and coupons.

Back
Top Bottom