ProPointer Mod Really Works - with photos

joecatch

Some smart person here posted a video showing a mod for the Garrett ProPointer that greatly increases its sensitivity by placing a nickel on the pointer and moving up and down to when it just chrips and then uses it to find the target.

So I asked my wife who knows how to sew and I gave her an old washer which she sewed to a small piece of elastic she had. It slides up and down but stays put where you leave it. I tried it in the field yesterday and it works wonders. Whoever thought of this mod should get a big thank you!

JC

propoint1.jpg

propoint2.jpg

Yep, I was that video. I think it was 'Americancoinhunter' who told about it. I don't quite understand it either, but will have to give it a try. Thanks for the picture of your solution. Good Luck on future hunts. : )

Im not sure , but it looks like the way it works is almost like basically setting the "ground balance or threshold" on another detector , bringing it to the point where you can just barely hear signal from the ground so the signal from a target comes in range sooner ( not a good technical description but should about cover it ). I think if they designed this into the pinpointer , they would also have to design in a way to adjust it according to ground condition , and then you would probably be looking at a higher price.

Not sure how it works but it does. Took it out again today in a park and if I couldn't hear the target without the washer, I slide it down to enable it and then found the target.

If my AT Pro said it was for example, 4", and with the Propointer set to use the washer and if I still didn't hear anything with the Proponter I assume it was deeper like a can and left it alone and moved on. Got another $1.53 today in clad in about 1.5 hours in a new park.

JC

seeing how you have to remove this item every time you turn the PP on,,,it's just to easy to use my digger as the enhancer metal that I see no need for a fancy mod,,,,, it is kewl thou,,,, must love that wife

I wonder if metals of different conductivity would make for better or worse performance for this mod, like say... copper...

Just a guess , but since the pinpointer is "all metal" without any filters , it may not make a difference. Since my "theory" on how it works is that the metal is close enough to the internal coil that it takes less of a response from the actual target to make it sound off , it would be interesting to see if a more conductive metal might not need to be as close to the internal coil.

I believe you're simply increasing the detection field by increasing the size of the field using the metal object to stretch the normal pattern.

another handy trick to speed up recovery is to "detune" the PP, while your PP tip is in the hole beeping just turn the PP off and then on real fast, this shrinks the detection field and helps zero in on your target, this seems to help find targets that i didn't know were in the side wall of the plug

"super tuning" (the nickel trick) is very handy to use on shallow targets by scanning the ground before you dig your plug to find the exact spot to dig or coin pop

another handy trick to speed up recovery is to "detune" the PP, while your PP tip is in the hole beeping just turn the PP off and then on real fast, this shrinks the detection field and helps zero in on your target, this seems to help find targets that i didn't know were in the side wall of the plug
Detuning also helps size your target, if you detune and still get a signal all over the bottom of your plug you pretty well know it's a larger target and if your detector said it was only two inches deep and at three inches you've detuned your pro pointer but getting a signal in the bottom of your hole chances are again it's a large target like a rusty pint paint can lid Etc.

Detuning also helps size your target, if you detune and still get a signal all over the bottom of your plug you pretty well know it's a larger target and if your detector said it was only two inches deep and at three inches you've detuned your pro pointer but getting a signal in the bottom of your hole chances are again it's a large target like a rusty pint paint can lid Etc.

yep, i forgot about that but thats where the GTI comes in handy :lol:

I've been using a cheap ring on my HF pin pointer and it's a useful tool now. I like your mod though. I'll have to give it a try.

This works with ANY pinpointer not just the garrett.

(Nothing new--An old trick thats been arround donkeys years--to get a bit more depth
from cheaper pinpointers.)

Back
Top Bottom