Buying a better search coil

Brian28jersey

Even though minelab just replaced my search coil, is there actually a better one that i can have installed on my machine that will giv me better depth and target identification?

You can get a Sunray 12" coil that will give you greater depth . This coil is well made and an excellent performer. Let me know if you need any more info.

And then you have your typical cable to cut, and (possibly a typical waranty issue) then your typical waterproof plug (male and female) to purchase and install if they are not included with the Sunray.  Typically, I can see me screwing that up real good. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Then Minelab might send me a Big Laugh in a plastic bag upon my Excal's  return. :lol: :lol: :lol:

GaBeachsweeper said:
And then you have your typical cable to cut, and (possibly a typical waranty issue) then your typical waterproof plug (male and female) to purchase and install if they are not included with the Sunray.  Typically, I can see me screwing that up real good. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Then Minelab might send me a Big Laugh in a plastic bag upon my Excal's  return. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Typically you have to modify the minelab because you can't use it out of the box like other detectors anyway so whats the big deal? :lol: :P ;)

God punished me Jim... I went to quote and instead hit modify lol...

Cfmct-PI said:
Typically you have to modify the minelab because you can't use it out of the box like other detectors anyway so whats the big deal?  :lol:  :P ;)

Interesting observation. Is changing the coil on the PI Pro any simpler? ;) :P

There are no optional coils for the PI Pro. Changing that coil to a new one would be best done by Whites service center or factory. Jim is correct. You need to have the male and female plugs to mount the new coil. I feel it is worth it as do others that have had thiers modified. :yes:

TonyinCT said:
There are no optional coils for the PI Pro. Changing that coil to a new one would be best done by Whites service center or factory. Jim is correct. You need to have the male and female plugs to mount the new coil. I feel it is worth it as do others that have had thiers modified.  :yes:

:lol: :lol: I was being facetious, Tony. :lol: :lol:

But thanks for that info, though. It just may come in handy. :)

angellionel said:
Cfmct-PI said:
Typically you have to modify the minelab because you can't use it out of the box like other detectors anyway so whats the big deal?  :lol:  :P ;)

Interesting observation. Is changing the coil on the PI Pro any simpler?   ;)  :P

Why would you want to change the best of the best? :lol:

The Sun Ray transforms the detector but there is a question over the waterproof connectors. Not recommended for deep diving they said when they were first marketed. Did they ever suggest at what point shallow diving became deep ?

Thanks everybody i was just curous as to what my options are, i think if i end up getting a secound detector later maybe i would modfy the excal as a back up. My new primary would prob be a waterproofed explorer. Although i need to do more research on them. The excal was important to me becuase of the minerlized iron content in New Jersey surf.

Thanks everybody

morningstar said:
Hello CFmct, why can't the Excalibur be used right out of the box? :?:

Why not ask water hunters on other boards? First thing the shaft that comes with the excal just doesn't cut it, most buy a Babbs straight shaft, then there is the weight issue and most either hip mount the controls and risk ripping out the wiring or mount the controls on the top of a straight shaft... You would think Minelab would change the S shaft and be better balanced.. other than that its a good machine.

I have owned an Excalibur 800 for several years now and last winter I sent it to Minelab in Vegas to hardwire a Sunray S-12 and a pair of Grey Ghost underwater headphones. I was told by Sunray if I cut the cord it would void the warranty on the coil. I thought "what are the chances" and did it. The next thing was Minelab told me that they could not pressure test the Excalibur as the S-12 was too big for their pressure tank. Well I used it all this year, no problems thank goodness and found numerous Gold rings, popcorn rings and lots of coins in the water up to chin deep, I'm 6'4" tall. The thing that got me was that I was not as proficient at pinpointing my targets in murky water cause I couldn't see the coil, but I did get better depth and greater coverage per swing. IMHO it's a great way to go with the Excalibur if your warranty is up on it or you damage a coil. H.H.:-)

Waterman makes a very good point re the headphones. They are just not that good. Grey Ghosts perform better and I've not seen any failure reports from those who have had them fitted.
How about giving a hint on what Minelab are charging for the work ?
Regarding the pinpointing I don't think you would have found it any worse if you had been using the 1000 coil Excaliber. It just a case that the 800 is only really 7 inches so its quite a step up to the 12.25" of the SunRay.

Why would you want to change the best of the best?
Craig you are absolutely right. I hated that crooked shaft that came with my Excalibur and converted to the straight-shaft from Babb. BUT... one cannot just unscrew the coil from the box and screw a new one in like I could with the Garrett XL500.
I know that some of you handy-men can make chicken salad out of chicken poo, I on the other hand, am not quite so handy that way. I will avoid snipping any of my wires at least until after the warranty expires. I don't think the straight-shaft poses any warranty problems but then I have made an error before... trying to recharge my batteries (he mumbled) :roll: :roll: :roll:

GaBeachsweeper said:
Why would you want to change the best of the best?
Craig you are absolutely right. I hated that crooked shaft that came with my Excalibur and converted to the straight-shaft from Babb. BUT... one cannot just unscrew the coil from the box and screw a new one in like I could with the Garrett XL500.
I know that some of you handy-men can make chicken salad out of chicken poo, I on the other hand, am not quite so handy that way. I will avoid snipping any of my wires at least until after the warranty expires. I don't think the straight-shaft poses any warranty problems but then I have made an error before... trying to recharge my batteries (he mumbled) :roll: :roll: :roll:

Ummm Jim... I was calling the PI the best of the best... :P

Back
Top Bottom