whispers?

sandpiper

I know this is probably the 100th time someone has asked this - what is a whisper sound like? Recently the beach was stripped of sand and I was hearing the threshhold from my XLT as MMMMMM MMMMMM with a tiny little silent pause in between the hum. Never heard it before. Tide was coming in so I passed it by. Maybe this is why I have never found anything? I should turn the threshold volume up louder?
I'll take any advice here. I have been hunting the beach for months with nothing to show but pull tabs, a couple pennies and sea worms. Thanks, Sandpiper

The decrease in threshold sound was due to the fact that there was a target under the coil that was being disciminated against. probably iron. A whisper is actually a slight increase in sound over threshold. :yes:

sandpiper said:
I know this is probably the 100th time someone has asked this - what is a whisper sound like? Recently the beach was stripped of sand and I was hearing the threshhold from my XLT as MMMMMM    MMMMMM with a  tiny little silent pause in between the hum. Never heard it before. Tide was coming in so I passed it by. Maybe this is why I have never found anything? I should turn the threshold volume up louder?
I'll take any advice here. I have been hunting the beach for months with nothing to show but pull tabs, a couple pennies and sea worms.   Thanks, Sandpiper

For me and my PI a break in the threshold (pause) is a good thing and I listen for them and dig them all.

What mode are you using beach and jewelry? Try hunting the beach in relic mode, and dig everything.

sandpiper said:
I know this is probably the 100th time someone has asked this - what is a whisper sound like? Recently the beach was stripped of sand and I was hearing the threshhold from my XLT as MMMMMM    MMMMMM with a  tiny little silent pause in between the hum. Never heard it before. Tide was coming in so I passed it by. Maybe this is why I have never found anything? I should turn the threshold volume up louder?
I'll take any advice here. I have been hunting the beach for months with nothing to show but pull tabs, a couple pennies and sea worms.   Thanks, Sandpiper

The silent pause can be due to lots of things, specially at the beach with a single frequency machine. First, make sure it is repeatable to rule out a momentary imbalance in the GB due to fast changes in the salt content as the waves move in and out and change the instantaneous salinity and therefore the ground balance.

If it is repeatable, then it could be one of two things. As Tony mentioned, it could be an undesirable target being discriminated (iron?). The other possibility and it happens frequently to us here in California, is that it is a good target giving you a reversed whisper because its VDI (really the target's phase response) has shifted into the ferrous range and it is being "incorrectly" discriminated by your detector. This frequently happens in our beaches here because of the high levels of mineralization.

When in doubt, dig it.

I have been using the standard beach/jewelry mode built into the xlt. Thank you all for all the good advice. HH sandpiper

I too have an XLT and was using the relic mode when I got a whisper and I too dig them all and came up with my first high dollar find.

Attachments

• DSCN2510.JPG
    DSCN2510.JPG
    163.7 KB · Views: 210
rustynail1 said:
I too have an XLT and was using the relic mode when I got a whisper and I too dig them all  and came up with my first high dollar find.
I plan on trying relic mode next time I go.Thanks for the encouragement Can I have it? :lol:

If I were to give it to someone it would have to be Spittfire, He was first to ask, I'm not going to but for $20.00 shipping and handling I'll send a picture of it to you ok:) :)
sandpiper said:
rustynail1 said:
I too have an XLT and was using the relic mode when I got a whisper and I too dig them all and came up with my first high dollar find.
I plan on trying relic mode next time I go.Thanks for the encouragement Can I have it? :lol:

rustynail1 said:
If I were to give it to someone it would have to be Spittfire, He was first to ask, I'm not going to but for $20.00 shipping and handling I'll send a picture of it to you ok:) :)

"SHE" appreciates the thought Rusty!

Back
Top Bottom