Not thrilled with new Lesche digger...

stangthang

Elite Member
Just as the title says... I bought a new Lesche digger, but am not thrilled with its performance. I know it is highly recommended by many on this site. I also admit I have not used it more than 7 or 8 times in the field. I was using a stainless steel garden trowel I bought at Lowe's, which is like Home Depot if you don't have this store in your part of the country. The Lesche digger has a blade that is too narrow for my taste. It is a real pain scooping loose soil out of the hole. It seems to take forever. My cheap $5 Lowe's blade can scoop soil out of the hole much quicker. I also like the root cutter much better, and it is edged with this saw on BOTH sides of the blade. I got to the point where I could dig a decent plug just by pushing the trowel into the dirt three times to the handle, then pry back the plug. I could actually do this with one hand just by leaning on the trowel. The Lesche is nice for prying on roots and hard packed soil. I will admit I cracked my trowel by prying on some pretty large rocks and tree roots. If I had known, I would have been more careful with my Lowe's trowel. I still carry the trowel with me and use it as much as the Lesche. So now, I actually carry two digging tools.

The features I like about the trowel are:
1- It has a tree root saw on both sides and cuts better and quicker
2- It has a wider blade for scooping soil. It scoops soil four times as fast.
3- It has a nice jell-filled rubber handle
4- It has depth marks on the blade.
5- I don't feel like I am breaking the law by carry a large knife to the playgrounds
6- My cut "C" shaped plug has a cleaner line, better plug, deeper plug
7- If you lose it you are maybe out $5
8- If you have one of the new detectors that find coins 10 inches down, it must be a real pain to scoop all that dirt with the Lesche. I hope your soil is not hard packed. I probably need more practice with the Lesche.

What I like about the Lesche: It is said to be almost indestructable and can be replaced for free I guess. I could just carry a small prying bar or something.

Just thought I would share my opinion. When the garden trowels go on sale this fall, it might be a good deal to pick one up and give it a try. It will save some money, but will not last as long. I will carry both tools so I can keep my favorite garden trowel from cracking all the way through. I love it and I bought two. I lost the first one because my brother's wife borrowed the back-up trowel and left it in the woods. Now the second one has a hair-line fracture. If you prefer the Lesche, I got a nice deal on Ebay. I picked the dealer with the lowest price. The feedback for them is great, and it was deliverd in 2 or 3 days, no problems when paying with Paypal. -Jim ( putting on my flame suit)

I went about a year in the hobby before I bought the Lesche, now that I have it, Im in love with it.

But its important you still realize that the Lesche diggers are not meant to fulfill every type of digging with a single tool, which you have already found out yourself.

I do understand what your saying though. There are many other, cheaper, tools available that range in different sizes and serve different purposes. The Lesche digger that I have isnt the best at actually pulling mass amounts of dirt out of holes, but I never expected it to, being as how narrow it is.

I too had become accustomed to a cheap, but sturdy garden trowel which got me very far, and to this day I continue to have it on hand when needed. I also went through quite a few different cheap garden trowels that broke after only one or two hunts, and although the prices were under $5, they still start to add up rather quickly.

So as far as quality goes, the Lesche products certainly stand out well. At a price of about $30-$50 retail (and even cheaper, depending on where you find them), I think its still justifiable especially for the time it will last you.

-Kyle

I can't believe you spend an entire $5 on a digging tool. I use my bare hands and chew at the tree roots with my teeth. Works great! :D As Lowjiber said you do not need to worry about being flamed here. Nice try however. :lol:

Keep Swing'in
Jack

Lesche is not a trowel...

It's strength is cutting and lifting the first plug. If I have to remove more dirt from the hole, I reach for the trowel. If using my Pro-Pointer to find a stubborn coin, the non-metallic trowel doesn't interfere.
garrett ss trowel_small.jpggarrett digger_small.jpg

Well, thanks for the comments. I guess I don't feel as bad for carrying two digging tools. I just can't pry up a plug even with the Lesche. The plug always breaks apart. maybe we have had too much rain the last week. Maybe it will work better once it dries out. Cybersage, you rock. I enjoy reading your posts here and have learned much from you. Thanks to Lowjiber also. Guys like you make this forum the best. When i go to "car" forums I always leave not wanting to return. I will probably learn to respect the Lesche over more time of usage, If I manage not to lose it. -Jim

Jim, the Lesche is just one of many tools available and they all have their pros and cons depending on where you are hunting. In my trunk I carry my Lesche, two sizes of garden trowel, a small shovel, a beach scoop and a small pick. You just never know what you are going to run into. I mostly use my Lesche, but many place were the soil is loose under the sod I carry a trowel also to scoop the dirt better. Less likely to scratch up a nice old coin scooping with a trowel than prying with a Lesche. I'll leave the root chewing to Cybersage!

I can't believe you spend an entire $5 on a digging tool. I use my bare hands and chew at the tree roots with my teeth. Works great! :D As Lowjiber said you do not need to worry about being flamed here. Nice try however. :lol:

Keep Swing'in
Jack

Jack's been doing this since he was a wee mustachio'd little turd...lol mmmmm Dirt....

Attachments

• eat dirt.jpg
    eat dirt.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 1,960
  • jack.jpg
    jack.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 1,772
Last edited:
I'm with randwool....

I have the Ames digger from Lowes and it's not much for scooping dirt. On the other hand it digs like a coffee fueled Badger (or maybe that's me). I have the plastic Fiskars trowel for scooping and no interference scanning. Having both is very handy.
As for the "Flamesuit" I thought maybe you were a MD'er by day and a nogoodnick hunter at night. :)
Marty

After giving away my Lesche to someone I met in the field, I tried a "Gator Digger". Bent the first time I tried to pry up a large plug... I have another Lesche on order! I also carry a cheap trowel for removing dirt from holes if necessary.

Mike

As indicated above, and as we all learn eventually, there is no 'one tool does it all' out there. I have a Lesche, a Predator spade, a plug popper, two different sand scoops, and a trowel. Oh yeah... when I first joined this forum, a fellow was making and selling a 'monster' hand digger.... I bought one, (have not seen it advertised here any longer, he must have stopped building them). It is the gorilla digging tool of all times with a heavy blade, strongly serrated cutting edge and welded, angled handle. What a monster for roots or tough, baked dirt. RickO

I use one like this. After the first punch through the grass I follow the rounded curvature of the trowel around making a near perrfect 3" plug every time. Ive been through too many garden type trowels over the years and even though some let you get more dirt per scoop , they just dont give the leverage or cutting ability as the one pictured. Best of all I only need to carry one digger.

Attachments

• trowelsawtooth.jpg
    trowelsawtooth.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 1,760
Last edited:
Try the Model 31 Raptor by Predatortools.
Very user friendly looking with it's construction orange color.

Parts Mother Earth very nicely and discretly.
You could dig a hole for your coil in no time if you had to.

I have not tried the Predator - Where are you folks buying them from? PM if posting on the board is not appropriate.

Thanks, Mike

I use one like this. After the first punch through the grass I follow the rounded curvature of the trowel around making a near perrfect 3" plug every time. Ive been through too many garden type trowels over the years and even though some let you get more dirt per scoop , they just dont give the leverage or cutting ability as the one pictured. Best of all I only need to carry one digger.

Thats the same one I've used for 10yrs, I've had to replace the bicycle handle a couple times & resharpen it on occasion, but besides that its very well made & have dug through everything from rock to hard dirt with it..

Who makes this one? Looks kind of nice. I am using a trowel and have a heck of a time with roots.

Thanks,
-Mike-

Who makes this one? Looks kind of nice. I am using a trowel and have a heck of a time with roots.

Thanks,
-Mike-

I believe there called Sabre Tooth Trowel, I paid around 8 or 9 dollars for mine..There pretty much unbreakable, made of one solid piece.:D

Here are a few brand names for some diggers.
3 in 1 by treasurewise
Wilcox and Dalyn make various models.
Search brand name along with digger or trowels.
The dealers will come up with prices and models.

I buy my Predatortools at DeMarco Detector Sales.
Made 4-5 purchases from them, very good company.
They offer tracking so you can monitor it's arrival.
He's the only guy I know besides George who sells predatortools.
Quality diggers with a 5 year warranty and Made in America.

I carry a old army duffel bag with shovels and scoops.
A back pack with batteries, diggers, bug spray, and wetsuit.
These bags are for the ease of loading and unloading the van.
I've learned to bring it all, what you didn't bring, you will need.
I'm good to go, ready for dirt, sand or in the water hunting anytime.

Her's a great digging tool

Bought one from Ace Hardware. The work excellent!!! And even cut thru that damn sod nylon mesh in those Georgia soccer schoolyards.

It's my back up tool, otherwise I use my vintage Cattaraugus fixed blade hunting knife. Super light weight, strong thin blade, plastic handle that I Dremeled to fit my hand perfectly. Best detecting knife I ever used, found at an estate sales.

AMES TRUE TEMPER PLANTERS BUDDY

PB_diagram.jpg

Back
Top Bottom