Digging tool?

PA_Rob

I'm curious what everyone uses to dig their plugs? For the longest time I used a $3-$4 Ames digger that I bought at Ollies, and it finally snapped, so I decided to buy a new one. In the past 2 weeks I have gone through 4 DIFFERENT diggers now....One was a Black and Decker, Two of them were Craftsman, and I can't remember the name of the other one. But I'm just getting annoyed now, because Ollies doesn't sell the digger anymore. So I'm just curious, what kinds of diggers do you guys use? (Other than a Lesche. I'm not looking to pay that much)

One Lesche is cheaper than a dozen broken tools.

I use a survival knife that I found while detecting
TSK.jpg

Unless I'm in a tot-lot, then I use a home-made pipe digger
8952950663_b65368f57f.jpg

I'm trying to get good with a screwdriver for shallow targets. Still working on it thought.

We have mostly sand here though. Packed sometimes, but still sand. If the dirt is that tough in your area, I hear that nothing beats a Lesche. They're expensive, but are they more expensive than 10 cheep diggers?

If I'm correct, you've probably already paid about what it would cost to have purchased a Lesche?

Black and Decker tool, around $16
Craftsman Tool, around $10
Fiskars (I'm guessing) for around $8

That's roughly $44 in diggers in two weeks, the price of a Lesche. And a Lesche comes with a 5-year warranty. Here's a decent review at Garden Tool Review.

I don't own a Lesche. I've broken most of the tools you've listed, looking for a cheep replacement. The knife and pipe that I have are working for me now, but if I ever buy another digging tool, it will be a Lesche.

I hate having to quit for the day because my digger is in pieces. My time is too valuable.

Last edited:
I am using a yellow handled Dalyn Enterprise trowel that I got from White's. Wasn't very expensive and works well.

Attachments

• daylyn-12.jpg
    daylyn-12.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 1,354
i use the stainless hori-hori. it's as tough as they come, will never rust, serrated on one side, great for sawing through small roots.
they are a bit pricey ($35) but they LAST! the torture i've put this thing through! :shock:

Attachments

• GT_Hori-Hori.jpg
    GT_Hori-Hori.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 1,358
Fiskars $8 at Walmart with a life time warranty.

I broke mine, filled out their online form with a picture and they're mailing me a new one. Meanwhile bought a second for $5 at Target, on clearance, so now I'm setup for lifetime warranty rotation! :p

New one is welded up better, and I figure if I keep sending them warranty claims they'll either upgrade their product, or blacklist me :lol:

i use the stainless hori-hori. it's as tough as they come, will never rust, serrated on one side, great for sawing through small roots.
they are a bit pricey ($35) but they LAST! the torture i've put this thing through! :shock:

I ran across one of those at home depot (online) when searching for a second fiskars. 24.99 but carbon steel blade, has a bit of a hilt which is nice.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 1,545

Hori-Hori...I been using mine for about 4 yrs and I put it through alot. Still going strong. Need to sharpen it occasionally, and I also gun tape my handle.

The original 3-in-1 knife was similar to the current Hori-Hori knife. probably closer to GroundSweeper's.
GT_Hori-Hori.jpg
Unlike the current ones, it had a wooden handle with the blade the full length of the handle. I have used mine for over thirty years digging through rocks, roots concrete and who knows what else. I have even hammered it into rock hard dried clay that a pick bounced off of. I have stood on it and never once had a feeling that it might break. I have added some leather padding over the years to cut down on blisters from the pounding I give it.
3N1a.gif
I used to give them away for prizes in my old club. I have been trying to track down some of them with no luck. If it ever breaks (I'll probably lose it first) I'll replace it with a Hori-Hori knife. I tried a Lesche for a while and it didn't have the solid feeling of my old 3-in-1 knife.

I use a survival knife that I found while detecting
TSK.jpg

Unless I'm in a tot-lot, then I use a home-made pipe digger
8952950663_b65368f57f.jpg

I'm trying to get good with a screwdriver for shallow targets. Still working on it thought.

We have mostly sand here though. Packed sometimes, but still sand. If the dirt is that tough in your area, I hear that nothing beats a Lesche. They're expensive, but are they more expensive than 10 cheep diggers?

If I'm correct, you've probably already paid about what it would cost to have purchased a Lesche?

Black and Decker tool, around $16
Fiskars (I'm guessing) for around $8

That's roughly $44 in diggers in two weeks, the price of a Lesche. And a Lesche comes with a 5-year warranty. Here's a decent review at Garden Tool Review.

I don't own a Lesche. I've broken most of the tools you've listed, looking for a cheep replacement. The knife and pipe that I have are working for me now, but if I ever buy another digging tool, it will be a Lesche.

I hate having to quit for the day because my digger is in pieces. My time is too valuable.

You know what I love about those survival kits? They have those key wrings and the wire that attaches to both for choking things. That's exactly what I need. I might need to choke out a bear one day. :cool:

You know what I love about those survival kits? They have those key wrings and the wire that attaches to both for choking things. That's exactly what I need. I might need to choke out a bear one day. :cool:

It's a wire saw, not a garrote. I've never needed it, but I could see its usefulness in very specific situations. Because of the thin wire, it sometimes cuts faster than the back of the knife.

and I like the idea of digging with a tool I found with the detector. :grin:

Not a hand digger

31 inch Sampson T serrated Lesche , 37 yr's of land hunting, know better, Earl

Attachments

• 20110613_1.JPG
    20110613_1.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 1,548
Back
Top Bottom