New to this deceting this and was wondering....

branman444

I am looking for a detector that will do a good job and last for a long time. I am able to spend
500+/- . Looking for coins/metal trinkets/anything realy. If you guys could help i would be in your dept.
Thanks in advance
Brandon

Brandon,

There is no "best" detector for every type of hunting and every location. My best advice to you is to find a nearby hunting club and talk to the experienced folks and and see what they are using and why. Then find a local dealer who offers those brands you've narrowed it down to. Make sure the dealer will stand behind the sale and give you proper training on the use of the detector.

Hi and welcome to the forums. There are several detectors our that can do the job for you. There are some things you need to answer first though. Where do you want to hunt and so forth. I can give you a rough idea o what to get if you like. Please let me know.
:yes:

branman444 said:
I am looking for a detector that will do a good job and last for a long time. I am able to spend
500+/- . Looking for coins/metal trinkets/anything realy. If you guys could help i would be in your dept.
Thanks in advance
Brandon

Hi Brandon and welcome to the forum, all you need to know is posted here. This is the best group of people to ask questions of. TonyinCT seems to be one of the experts on the actual units, but there are several others who use the detectors and will add their knowledge to topics on field testing and use. Go back into the earlier posts and you will find all kinds of opinions on the different models from the "users" but in the end it is what works for you in the field and nothing beats experience and practice. HH

Welcome Brandon. A reputable dealer (like TonyinCT) will be able to match a machine to you based on your needs, local terrain, and other factors. I suggest that you email Tony, talk to him and let him help you out. If you don't deal with Tony, at least use a local dealer, or make some calls and get the right machine based on your needs and experience level. It will make the difference in enjoying the hobby and wasting money on a MD that will sit unused in the closet.

The first question would be, "Where do you plan on detecting?" Beaches? Woods, parks?

If you are going to do woods, fields, parks you would be best off to get a detector with a target ID like the Ace 250.

If you are just occasionally going to hit a beach for fun, look at the Tesoro line. I have a Cibola, it's not expensive.

But it is better to find out whether or not you will even enjoy detecting before investing. Do not buy an "offbrand"

Ok here is some answers to all your guys/gals questions.
I live in Oklahoma and will be detecting at my local lakes(about 4or5) and creeks. Most of the other places i would be going are old school sites and or i guess it would be fields.
I am a complete newbie at this i have never owned a MD before. I was looking at a hobby that my family can do. I have 2 kids(4/5) and a wife of course. We love the outdoors! I asked one of my friends who has a cheaper Radio Shack MD to come out and we romed around my property to see what we could find. I believe there was a old house place ot something on my property at some time because i am always finding stuff on top of the ground after it rains. Well we found what looks to be an old tool af some sort and some other "stuff" but we also found this little necklace charm thing that looks like a wagon wheel. It apears to be silver. We were all so excited and the kids love digging and visiting the lake i thought this would be perfect.
I work on computers and and networks for a living so i think i could figure out how to use most anything but dont really want to go over board. I was thinking about a water proof one but not sure. Our lakes are low right now and i could go into some good shallows im sure.
Any help is verry welcome.
Thanks for welcoming me and hope to be around here for a while.
Brandon

Re: New to this detecting this and was wondering....

Metal detecting is certainly an exciting hobby, especially when the family gets involved. Congrads on your first finds, most people don't have such luck.

Your best bet would be to stick to the lakes for some amazing finds. An Ace 250 would probably be the way to go, but it is not waterproof.

Your question would probably be best answered by Okiedigger,( since he is in Oklahoma,) and has experience working the ground there. We'll see if he pops in here to give you a better answer. ;)

branman444 said:
Ok here is some answers to all your guys/gals questions.
I live in Oklahoma and will be detecting at my local lakes(about 4or5) and creeks. Most of the other places i would be going are old school sites and or i guess it would be fields.
I am a complete newbie at this i have never owned a MD before. I was looking at a hobby that my family can do. I have 2 kids(4/5) and a wife of course. We love the outdoors! I asked one of my friends who has a cheaper Radio Shack MD to come out and we romed around my property to see what we could find. I believe there was a old house place ot something on my property at some time because i am always finding stuff on top of the ground after it rains. Well we found what looks to be an old tool af some sort and some other "stuff" but we also found this little necklace charm thing that looks like a wagon wheel. It apears to be silver. We were all so excited and the kids love digging and visiting the lake i thought this would be perfect.
I work on computers and and networks for a living so i think i could figure out how to use most anything but dont really want to go over board. I was thinking about a water proof one but not sure. Our lakes are low right now and i could go into some good shallows im sure.
Any help is verry welcome.
Thanks for welcoming me and hope to be around here for a while.
Brandon

maybe instead of paying $500 on one high end detector you should consider buying a couple of the better, lower priced detectors(ace250), I say that because I have kids too and them being content with just digging the holes probably isnt going to last to long, every time I take my kids now they end up overtaking the machine fairly quick(like the first time I set it down) and leave me standing with nothing to do but dig holes...

from what you discribe the ace250 will more than do what you want, my son wants a detector and I'm thinking of getting him his own ace for christmas

I agree with DJS. FOr the family to have the fun , two detectors of lower end is a good compromise. As Carol said though : the Ace 250 is not waterproof and you'll have to be careful with it around the water but you can easily use it on land too. :yes:
I can make up a family package if you like. Just let me know. :grin:

I like the looks of the ACE 250. When you say carful around the water does that mean no water on it at all or you can dunk the coil part but not the electronics? I have read a little about the ACE250 and a lot of what i read it that the deapth isnt that great. Is that true? I would be on sand at the lakes and some rocky areas but most of our "dirt" is clay. Does that matter at all? I would liek to have one that i can at least get the coils wet. so i could look in about ancle to knee deep water. Are there any out there like that or is it all the way or not at all?
Brandon

The coil is waterproof but not the box. The depth is very good for a low cost detector. You can realize up to 8" with the stock 6x9 coil. :yes:

Tonyinct.... I sent you a PM and would like a little more info if you dont mind. Also ....cant you change out the coil on the ACE250 to a bigger one?
Brandon

Back
Top Bottom