NEW PICS Musket barrel

Donneybrook

Elite Member
Is this part of a rifle barrel? I found it at my house where i have dug the rest of the seminole war artifacts. I saw one picture online of a 1816 musket barrel and it looked the same dang size! Please tell me it is! I't'd make my week if not month! I've wanted one for so long. lol

:UPDATE:

New pics are up with measurements and post electrolysis. This things weighs 5-7 pounds! Hope this helps you guys in making the correct choice ;) (*HINT* Not a water pipe! lol)

Attachments

• Photo on 12-3-13 at 5.11 PM.jpg
    Photo on 12-3-13 at 5.11 PM.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 756
  • Photo on 12-3-13 at 5.12 PM #2.jpg
    Photo on 12-3-13 at 5.12 PM #2.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 728
  • Photo on 12-3-13 at 5.12 PM.jpg
    Photo on 12-3-13 at 5.12 PM.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 732
  • Photo on 12-3-13 at 5.13 PM.jpg
    Photo on 12-3-13 at 5.13 PM.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 732
  • 100_5802.jpg
    100_5802.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 621
  • 100_5803.jpg
    100_5803.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 613
  • 100_5806.jpg
    100_5806.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 621
  • 100_5807.jpg
    100_5807.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 625
  • 100_5808.jpg
    100_5808.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 614
looks like inch and quarter to inch and a half diameter pipe to me . well at least from your pictures with your hand in it , that would be one huge musket ball and a huge amount of powder to launch it if you ask me . the picture of the other ones you shown have no size reference to determine inside size of the barrel.

The things is, is that its so dang heavy, and what else would the soldiers have in the 1840s in FL that that would be used for?

How do you know it's from the 1840's? I've found civil war items mixed in with 20th century junk.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

How do you know it's from the 1840's? I've found civil war items mixed in with 20th century junk.

Because of the fact that it was two-three inches deep, and was two-three feet from where i've found buckshot, birdshot and .54 caliber round balls along with all my other artifacts and have never found any 20th century junk there. This dirt has definitely not been disturbed in 175 years. Also the privy is 10-15 feet from where this was.

Fair enough. That being said, I'm often surprised at the random items I've found in remote undisturbed places. Humans really get around and drop their junk everywhere they go. I don't know what people would have used thick-walled pipes for in the 1840's.

Because of the fact that it was two-three inches deep, and was two-three feet from where i've found buckshot, birdshot and .54 caliber round balls along with all my other artifacts and have never found any 20th century junk there. This dirt has definitely not been disturbed in 175 years. Also the privy is 10-15 feet from where this was.

that still doesn't rule out the possibility of modern junk Donny . maybe some better pictures might help and measurements too.

that still doesn't rule out the possibility of modern junk Donny . maybe some better pictures might help and measurements too.

But you have to keep in mind, who is the head archaeologist at this site? Me, so I'm gonna have a better idea of the possibility of modern junk.
I'll try to get pics of it up later with measurements. It's almost done with elctrolyis.

Someone called it a wall pipe, but aren't modern pipes made of a metal that won't rust like galvinized steel? This was pretty dang rusty.

But you have to keep in mind, who is the head archaeologist at this site? Me, so I'm gonna have a better idea of the possibility of modern junk.
I'll try to get pics of it up later with measurements. It's almost done with elctrolyis.

Donney, you're so vain!
Good luck, but I just think it's a rusty pipe. Junk could be scattered anywhere…

Donney, you're so vain!
Good luck, but I just think it's a rusty pipe. Junk could be scattered anywhere…

Vain? lol. Haha i was just pointing out that since each archaeological site varies in what gets turned up, someone who has excavated a site for two years, seen what turns up where etc. is going to have a better idea on the odds of trash turning up. Also, the amount of rust (plus depth and artifacts found two feet away) suggest this is a artifact from the Seminole War if not a musket barrel fragment. (btw i know it probably doesn't seem like it, but i am taking into serious consideration all your opinions)
Thx

doesn't look like a musket barrel to me (but I'm far from an expert on firearms :lol: ) seems like the hole is about an inch across, that would be bigger than any bullets I've heard about :?:

anyway, I hope you can get a positive ID on it

Back
Top Bottom