Noob Question

MLevinson

Hi I am doing alittle research before purchasing a detector(my first). I would prefer to purchase one good detector that is good at the beach and on land. I live roughly 2 hrs from the beach in North Carolina. I visit there often and would love to search there. I would never go over waist deep.Well I say that now. Is there such a detector, that will do both the beach and the clay area, around where i live in the middle of the state. If there is, could you guys give me some recommendations. I posted this here because I figured the bdeach guys would naturally try there on land.While the land guys wouldnt own a beach detector at all.
Thanks Mlevinson

Welcome to the forum.
I use the Fisher CZ20 in the water as well as on the land.
They do not make them any longer but they can still be found.
It doesnt have all the fancy displays and such,but they are work horses.

detector

mlevinson

minelab sovereign GT
minelab Xterra 70

the GT u can belt mount and chest mount after u start finding all the gold loot in the water and the damp sand

the minelabs do not have any problems with the salt and are great land machines as well

Hermit

stand by a short spell and i think u will see a few new waterproof tickets soon.

Attachments

• good_luck_924.gif
    good_luck_924.gif
    28.3 KB · Views: 226
Dag Max I can see that minelab finding the horse shoe but if that clover had 1 more leaf you might get lucky>
Kiddin of course!

In order to use the detector in waist deep water, you need a water machine. If you get the box wet on a land machine, it will become a doorstop, the coil & shaft are waterproof, but it will be a matter of time before a mishap occurs. In order to use it on land, you have to eliminate the P.I. machines, as you will go nuts with the constant chatter. The only dual purpose machine that will do well on LAND AND SALT WATER is the Minelab Excaliber. As Hermit said, the CZ20 is no longer made. There is one called a "Beach Hunter", but it will only do well on freshwater beaches. Typically units that work well in fresh water do not do so well in salt water, and vice versa. Most people opt for two machines , one for land, and one for water. By doing this, you are optimizing the right tool for the task at hand. Stay with the name brand units. There are off brands such as MP3, Cobra, Triton, etc. which are pretty much made by the same company in China. They are all junk, and the only difference between them is the decals on the outside.

I'm with Bill a lot on this one. The Excalibur would be the way to go if you could afford to. Great for beach or land. Let me know if you need any more help.

Thanks guys this is really helping me out. I read a lot of the reviews. But the reviews make nearly all sound good. I will defintly go with a waterproof model. If I really get hooked i guess I will evently go with a land model also. I really appreciate all the feed back. I bought home audio equipment and kept upgrading through the years and I dont want to do that with this. Fuuny I havnt turn on a metal detector since I was 12 , roughly thirty years ago. I may start looking at used ones on ebay soon. Please keep the opinions coming.
thanks Mlevinson

MLevinson

If I were in your shoes... I would get yourself a land detector and a water machine... If your going to hunt in the water go with a PI PRO from whites its deeper than a VLF or I would opt for a used CZ20 they are a great machine... Whites also made the IDX Pro and that detector was great on the wet and dry sand... I wish I never sold it to my friend...

When you're out in the water the PI is tops... In the water there is not much trash... If were going to hunt dry/wet sand I wouldn't use a PI it would drive you crazy.. Its why I have more than one detector...

The BeachHunter from whites is great in and out of saltwater.

First off welcome to the forum MLevinson. Its good to have you here, and back into this great hobby. Craig is right when he says the Beach hunter is good in salt water. I looked long and hard at that machine, and decided to go with the DFX as 98% of my hunting will be on land. At some point in the future, I will be getting a machine for the water and it will probably be the Beach Hunter. This is my preference though. Do all the research you can on all the top brands that are on the market, and base your decision on that. Also, if you get the chance to pick up and hold any of the machines you are interested in, you will find one that fits you better than another. JMHO

Hi! if you looking for a good water detector that will work on land and is a good price.. try the BEACH HUNTER ID. I have hunted 100's of hours in SALT AND FRESH water the machine is GREAT in all areas!! I hunt with guys who use Minelabs the Exp/Exp II and the Excal. They do not get more than I do I also think the BEACH HUNTER IS HOTTER on nickels I always seem to get more than the explores. I have also pulled a 1924 14k class ring out of a Excals coil mark the guy said he got no signal there!! I have noticed people saying the BEACH HUNTER will not work in SALT WATER??? I GUESS THEY HAVE NEVER TRIED THIS DETECTOR!!! It uses the same multi freq as the DFX 3-15 giving you the BEST FREQ FOR SILVER AND THE BEST FOR GOLD!!HOPE I WAS HELPFULL!!SORRY IF I SOUNDED A LITTLE HARSH BUT GETTING A LITTLE SICK OF PEOPLE MAKING STATEMENTS THEY CAN'T BACH W/FACT GOOD LUCK!!

BEACH HUNTER said:
I have also pulled a 1924 14k class ring out of a Excals coil  mark the guy said he got no signal there!!

I find this claim questionable, to put it mildly. :?:

In any event, I do agree that, in general, the most helpful comments and unbiased (hopefully!) reviews on any given machine, will come from those who have actually used said machine. :)

Angel

Angel, Its true 100%!!! What detector do you think goes deeper in sand? I see you use a DFX and EXCAL?? The BEACH HUNTER is very close to the DFX but set up for the beach. I hunt wet sand in visual ID mode/all metal I use the ID lights to tell me a good target from a poor target.It gives me GREAT DEPTH!! I have shocked the Minelab guys I hunt with at what my detector will do!!For much less money and less trips back to factory!!! I also think using the iron mask is taking away from there depth and now they are beliveing it too.DON'T GET ME WRONG ALL THE DETECTORS I LIST IN THIS POST ARE GREAT BEACH DETECTORS!! BUT I'M SICK OF TAKING SOME OF THE TRASH THAT GETS TALKED ABOUT THE BEACH HUNTER ID!!! WHEN THE TALK COMES FROM PEOPLE WHO HAVE NOT USED THE DETECTORS OR NOT USED THEM SIDE BY SIDE!!! ALSO LOVE THE PI PRO MY BACK UP!! GOOD HUNTING

angellionel said:
BEACH HUNTER said:
I have also pulled a 1924 14k class ring out of a Excals coil  mark the guy said he got no signal there!!
Angel why do you find this to be questionable?? you just got the EXCAL?? How many hrs have you hunted with it?? I HUNT 20 HRS A WEEK MIN!!In summer even more!! I have pulled loads silver items this year and 7 gold rings so far.I live in northern MA the ice and lack of storms has slowed the hunting down for me. Craig knows how much I hunt and what I find and knows I ONLY MAKE STATEMENTS FROM THINGS I'VE DONE AND SEEN. GOOD LUCK TRYING OUT WATER HUNTING!!

I don't question that you pulled the ring, I question that the Excalibur user could not pick it up - unless of course he was a newbie or had his discriminator set too high. As to the amount of time I have used the Excalibur, I can tell you that for my part it is irrelevant. I've been detecting since the 80's and have used several machines during that time, both metered and non-metered. As a result, you do get a good sense of what to listen for when detecting, regardless of the machine being used.

While I have done some beach detecting over the years - dry and wet sand - most of my detecting has been on land. However, I do believe that most top level machines will do quite well on dry sand, though I also feel that achieving a good degree of success in pulling deeply buried targets, whether at the beach or land hunts, is directly related to the user's skills and experience ? how well does he know his/her machine.

I have been using the DFX as my primary coinshooting machine on land hunts, but I have also used it at the beach and have achieved very good depth on the dry sand. I would imagine that the Beach Hunter has similar capabilities. The Excalibur is a new machine for me, and I have yet to use it at the beach. I did test it on land this past weekend, and I have to say that I was very impressed with its ability to lock in on coins with a very strong tone, even on deep targets. The Excalibur is going to be my primary beach machine, and the DFX will remain my preferred coinshooting detector, though I?m sure I may alternate from time to time.

By the way, welcome to the forum!

Angel

Angel

You know me... My personal thoughts are it doesn't matter machine you use if you don't master it you won't do well... I know what BeachHunter is saying I have gone over the same area's as a guy with.... I won't mention the brand :P And found rings that he missed in the water... I have had others detect near me and watch me pull 3 rings while this person got skunked...

My finds are my proof my detector is tops for me.. Its funny I visit other water boards and these owners of these supposed top of the line detectors find just as much junk as I do and sometimes more...

Bottom line is learning the detector, learning where to hunt and bringing home the bacon ;)

Craig, you?re preaching to the choir, the priest and the Pope. :yes:

But, yes, as I already stated, the experience and skill of the user is what will determine how successful he/she is in the hunt.

Angel

So Angel how's the weather up yonder? :P I did a little dirt digging today was surprised ground was frozen... Not with my PI though :P

Cfmct-PI said:
So Angel how's the weather up yonder?  :P I did a little dirt digging today was surprised ground was frozen... Not with my PI though  :P

Unfortunately, some of the open fields at a few sites I usually frequent are still somewhat frozen. The ones at "merc city" are pliable, though, except the trails - it's still difficult cutting through that frozen soil.

I keep saying to myself that two more weeks will do, but then the cold air keeps hanging around. But, hey, at least it gives me the opportunity to work on the water side of the hobby. :-)

Angel

Back
Top Bottom