Wet Sand Detecting with Explorer II

glory-days

Looking for feedback from anyone who has used the Explorer II on wet sand, salt water beaches. How does it perform etc.. I will be looking for a new detector to be used on dry ground and at the beach (wet and dry sand). I will not be detecting in the water as I am an amputee and would find that a little difficult.
I am currently using a White's IDX PRO and it is just terrible on the wet salt water sand.
Thanks for your time, Dennis

Welcome to the forum Dennis, I do not use the ExpII but you came to the right place for getting information, great bunch of people on here. Happy hunting!

glory-days

I don't own a minelab but I know others that do and use the EXII on the wet sand all the time.. But I have used the IDX in thr wet and it worked just fine for me. Do you have a coil cover? If so you possibly have sand or something else between the coil and the cover sloshing around.

I have used mine in the wet sand and shallow surf. I go on vacation to the Jersey Shore once a year. This past fall was the 1st time with the new Exp.II which I had owned for almost 2 months. Performance was excellent!!!!! Targets were VERY DEEP. I became a little apprehensive of using it in the water, although I had it protected as much as possible. The surf conditions were a little rough most days, and I made the decision to get a water machine rather than risk my best hunting buddy. I will be doing frequent beach trips this year, and it will still go with me, just not in the water. I can say that overall it was outstanding. There is a slight annoyance when the cable just above the coil is moved by strong current, you get a short signal. Just something to get used to.

Max, Don't tell me you filled the whole tube with silicone????

BTW, instead of silicon "caulk" use "Goop" instead. It is an RTV cement and silicone sealant that does not break down as easily. A small amount goes a long way. Available in 5 or 6 different formulas. I use the Plumbers or Marine formulas. Will not affect electronic circuitry.

I use mine at the beach quite a bit hunting from the high tide mark to the shallow surf. It is really awesome. The depth is pretty amazing at the beach. Be prepared to dig DEEP :) You'll need a real good (big) scoop. The ExpII is very sensitive to small object too. I've found small stud earrings and tiny rings that others literally walked over.

Explorer II is great at the beach, but if you intend to detect only on the beach, it is best to choose a Sovereign or another beach detector. You might want to get a water detector too, just in case you would want to go in to the waves a bit.

Thank you all for the great feedback. I will also be usiing the detector on dry land about 1/2 the time, that is why I do not want to go strickly with a water detector. Now I just need to part with some greenbacks, lol. Thank you all again. Dennis

Back
Top Bottom