Are you kidding?

I know the pain. Saturday on Tybee beach I had a good signal in the gold range. Popped out this big shiny ring. Thought I had me some white gold. Nope tungsten. What a bummer.
1b30f1eae12b54ca0e17f7e08488940f.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

That's a pretty ring. I would take that over most of the silver rings that I find. Don't know why people make a big deal out of silver rings, most of the ones that I find wouldn't fetch 10 dollars.

Wasn't it heavy- like gold? :?:

Tungsten and Gold are very close in density 19.3 g/cm3 (gold) vs 19.25 g/L (tungsten). I'd say darn near impossible to determine just by how it felt in the hand.

Yea I've found one of those as well. Inhales profusely when you realize what it really is.

Tungsten and Gold are very close in density 19.3 g/cm3 (gold) vs 19.25 g/L (tungsten). I'd say darn near impossible to determine just by how it felt in the hand.

Yea I've found one of those as well. Inhales profusely when you realize what it really is.

:laughing::laughing: I supersize with you Brother! I remember my first Tungsten ring find! In the dark and cold, Heavy, banging around in the scoop in utter darkness right behind the catamarans on Fat Girl Beach! ! .."OH Damn!" I thought, "This is a massive golden good one!" A Monster!
Clanking around in the scoop like a Klondike nugget! Like somebody threw an engine block into the dumpster! Ringing the bell like Quasimodo!

But as daylight ensued, and as I fondled the thing, I gotta good look at the laser engraved script, and I'm like what? Tungsten? WTH? I got drill bits at home made out of Tungsten! WiTH would somebody make jewelry out of Tungsten? And why would anybody buy it? Like sell it for a dollar?...

I felt as let down as Ralphie on "The Christmas Story" 'Be sure to drink your Ovaltine? SOB!...but it was nice heavy Mans ring..so we threw it out there at our Garage sale that Spring...

I came home and told the Wife, "Look what I found today, This damned thing aint worth a nickle!" I got drill bits worth more than that damned ring! But she told me that people nowadays do not give a damn about PM's, and she put it out there on the Garage Sale jewelry table and priced it at $80 and let some guy talk her down to $60! Cash!

So what I'm saying is, even bastard metal rings have a street value...its all in the eye of the beholder...clankity clankity clank! By god a big Tungsten banging around in the scoop!..'

This is what I now tell myself...in the dark cold desolate so as to not get too overjoyed and wee-weed up about a massive gold heavy clanging around signal in the scoop...Theres only so much disappointment a guy can take in one lifetime..Married people, Parents, and all detectorists know what I'm saying....

Last edited:
That's a pretty ring. I would take that over most of the silver rings that I find. Don't know why people make a big deal out of silver rings, most of the ones that I find wouldn't fetch 10 dollars.
Thanks. It is sharp looking. I dig a lot of silver on Tybee beach. Most regulars on this beach only dig the gold tones. I still dig any good sound.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Still a nice looking ring. I'm sure you can find a sucker on Ebay who is willing to pay way more than it's worth.

A few months back I found a beautiful yellow ring. Appeared to be a mans wedding bad with good weight. I just stuck it on my finger and detected my way back to where I entered the beach. Was putting my gear in the car and discovered the ring was not on my finger. Next morning I was back at the beach early and spent four hours searching for the ring.

A couple days later I was back at the same spot to detect in the opposite direction Parked within a few feet of where I had parked the day I lost the ring.

For some reason I checked to make sure my Xcal was working properly and had a target on the first swing Moved the leaves and there was the ring that I had lost.

Got home after my hunt and with the aide of my loupe I could see a weird language engraved in it. Research showed that it was JUNK of the highest order. It is a "Lord of the Rings" ring with no hallmark of any kind. I suspect tungsten.

Danged cheapskates losing junk rings and giving an old man a heartbreaker find.

Back
Top Bottom