Hi from Tulsa, Oklahoma

collinskid

Hi from Tulsa, Ok.. I finally got a MD for Christmas! I have wanted one for a long time, and Santa finally took me serious. I told him that I really wanted one, and if he didn't bring me one this year-I was going to go get my own...well old Santa didn't want me to go "waste" a lot of money, so he got me the most inexpensive one that he could find... It is okay, tho-because I really did not want one with a lot of bells and whistles to learn with.

Now that I have had it for about a week...boy do I have questions!! My back yard looks like a colony of moles have visited,(you should see the FIRST hole I dug, looking for treasure-you could bury a small man in it...lol!)

Since old Santa bought the cheapest thing he could get-it came with no accessories, I really wish he had gotten a pinpointer. I am having trouble figuring out exactly where to dig. The radius of my coil is 10 inches-do I dig at the center of it or where?? Can someone please help me with this?:(

Need to know what detector you have, and did you read the manual? (have to ask, my husband NEVER reads manuals). Mine says once you get a beep back and forth, move it up and down which will pin point it to the center of the coil. The coil dectects in a V shape, so your coil is only 10" above ground.

Try making an "X" swinging with your coil to pinpoint....some detectors are better than others in that respect. Also, make sure your coil is level to the ground when you swing.

Dusty

Thanks both of you for the info. and reply. I have a Bounty Hunter Quick Silver. I have been watching some video on youtube, which is quite helpful. I am so excited about getting my first MD, and about finding this website. I have spent hours reading comments and looking at other peoples finds. Thanks for letting me join in!

Welcome to the forum from Nova Scotia!

yeah, i hear ya about the digging! that's why i've been practicing in my own yard. i might need a 4 wheel drive lawn mower this year, ha. :lol:
but and getting the pin pointing down pat and the holes somewhat smaller comes with time, patience and practice and listening to what your MD is telling you. i think we've ALL been there. :yes:
enjoy and HH,

Pete

Welcome from Kansas. Midway U.S.A.
Get a large piece of paper and draw a cross on it. Place a coin in the center of the cross and pinpoint it with your detector. You will be able to see the edges of the cross to tell where it is reading the coin. You have a great metal detecting club in Tulsa, the Indian Territory Treasure Hunters. I used to attend the great hunts that they put on each year. Might be worth looking in to.

That is a fabulous idea Silversmith!! I will do that very thing tomorrow. I have been looking at ITTH website and plan on contacting them when I familiarise myself with my MD.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome-it is great to be here.

p.s. yes I did read my manual-it is just a basic how to guide, and it did not tell me anything about how to pinpoint exactly where the target is. It was very basic info.

Welcome aboard collinskid...you are going through the inevitable learning curve... the club is a great idea... good luck, HH RickO

Welcome from Masschusetts. I took a bunch of different coins and metal pieces(pull tabs etc) and placed them on the ground and swung over them to see where on the coil they sound off as well as to hear the different types of sounds I heard from different metals.

Back
Top Bottom