Need help with pro mode

Crackdaddy

My brother and I've had an AT Pro for about two years now. We both can run in std. mode. But I know that to get the most out of the machine you should run in pro, but to me in pro mode everything is garbled and sounds like static it's very hard for me to hear a Clear Tone. I have looked online and can't find anything to help me. I have found a few IH penny's and relics. But I know that this machine is so much better in pro mode. Any help will go a long way to making me better. Thanks for the help in the passed.

Crackdaddy, By staying in std mode with the ATP you are not getting nearly the optimum use you've invested. I suggest to force yourself to stay in Pro mode only. Imagine there is no std mode. Set iron disc about 35, depth wide open and then ground balance. If you are getting lots of chatter, try another frequency. If you run only pro mode, you will get used to it. GL

PRO zero is the only way to go with the AT PRO.
The sound should not be garbled, are both machines acting this way?

I run zero everything, almost always full sensitivity, and listen to everything.. Cant stand running any discrimination, or notches.. Practice with a coin on the ground, and learn what it sounds like at its deepest capacity.. That's what you want to hear when looking for the good old stuff...

Then throw the coin in with a bunch of nails and trash, and try to find it with your ears only...

Then find a place with overhead power lines, and a bunch of trash, that has history... It could almost be like a virgin area when you know how to hear and interpret "everything" vs simple beeps....

Good luck CD...

<°)))>{

Yes both machines are the same this site has a lot of trash in it. The place that we are working are all part of the Southeast mo. Lead belt. There is lead ore everywhere.I am going to try and record the sound of it. Then post it.

Last edited:
All the static and messed up tones is the discrimination working , alerting you to all the items in the ground that almost make the cut for a clear sounding tone but not quite. Trashy sites are difficult , but listen for those repeatable mid or high tones amongst all the noise. Whats happening is those good targets are being partially masked by the junk , even many good coin tones often have a crunchy or off sound due to the masking......or blending of targets. A small coil helps a lot but in really trashy ground you will still get distortion. Focus on the high tones that manage to come through , they can be trash themselves but many times they are a coin with trash in the detection field as well. Go slow and methodically investigate anything that sounds promising. In cleaner soil I dont bother swinging on interesting targets from different directions , but in trashy ground doing that can help confirm a good target.

Keep it simple and work slow. I would get out of standard mode immediately because you're not getting what you paid for.
Get into pro zero mode and run your disc up to 32 and work it slow. If you're hunting iron infested locations look into a 5x8 coil. I promise you will never look back at that stock coil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks to all

Just wanted to take the time to let you all know that appreciate all the help. Thank you so much for your help. And taking the time to try and help someone that is what makes this place so good.

Have to agree with others, zero discrim when running in Pro mode. I can hear the repeateable tone through the garbage easily enough. You start appling discrim and it starts getting all choppy and that drives me bonkers espaecially you if have a signal right on the edge of where you have it set. The only time I use discrimination on the ATP is if I'm just out clad stabbing at a sportsfield. Then depending and only if my only goal is fresh dropped clad I run the discrim all the way up and sometimes even notch out up to about 70 and drop the sensitivity back about 1/2 way. Everything else is normally wide open or 1 notch down on the sensitivity, I want to hear it all.

Yes both machines are the same this site has a lot of trash in it. The place that we are working are all part of the Southeast mo. Lead belt. There is lead ore everywhere.I am going to try and record the sound of it. Then post it.

If you are getting a garbled sound it probably means you are hearing a ton of iron. For a spot like that, turn Iron Audio Off, and if you want, crank your Iron Disc right up to 39 or 40... in Pro Custom. Thats generally how I run mine. But yeah, I have never once used the other mode with its bell tones... no good. Get used to Pro mode and you'll never go back. I run in Pro Zero when I am hunting wide open fields or looking for new sites by seeking iron heavy zones. Once I find my zone/old site I switch over to Pro Custom and run it with Disc.

If you are getting a garbled sound it probably means you are hearing a ton of iron. For a spot like that, turn Iron Audio Off, and if you want, crank your Iron Disc right up to 39 or 40... in Pro Custom. Thats generally how I run mine. But yeah, I have never once used the other mode with its bell tones... no good. Get used to Pro mode and you'll never go back. I run in Pro Zero when I am hunting wide open fields or looking for new sites by seeking iron heavy zones. Once I find my zone/old site I switch over to Pro Custom and run it with Disc.[/QUOTE Yes exactly what I do .. why would you want to run on zero when your detector discriminates for you

I run my pro with iron off. I disc iron all the way to 40.
You could disc out lead but probably miss silver coins too.:no:
Maybe you could experiment discing out some of the noise?
Do you use headphones? If not you need to.
Happy hunting.

I forced myself to run it in Pro mode and soon as I got the hang of it I I never went back. I still switch over to standard mode when I'm walking around sometime just because if something is deep it will ring loud and clear, when I get on a good site I keep it in pro mode full time.

It was mentioned a few posts up but I feel the key to your ATPro is the 5x8 coil. I had an AT for 3 years. First couple of months I used the 9x12 stock coil and then bought the 5x8. The 5x8 never came off until I sold it this year. The smaller coil balanced my AT, gave me better coil control and really shone in the trashy areas I was hunting. Getting it and always hunting in Pro mode wide open really was the difference maker for me.

Pro mode is definitely a lot for the ears..at first. Now all that chatter is kind of like my wife asking me if I want to visit the inlaws this weekend, I know it's there but don't really hear it.

I'm pretty new to the machine myself but have gotten to where I am starting to 'call' targets with about 75% accuracy. Love that roll-tone and toggling Iron Audio off and on to make a final decision.

Don't think this was brought up but if you and your brother a BOTH running AT-Pros, maybe your getting additional interference from each other? You could try running separate frequencies if in close proximity as well.

Regardless, stick it out in Pro-mode, like the other (with way more experience) are saying, if you don't you're losing some of the most valuable functions of the machine.

You need to learn pro mode In an area that is not trash heavy. Starting out in standard mode is a mistake. Next worse is to start out with an ACE 350 which has the same tones as the ATP in standard mode. It was very hard for me to switch, but I'm glad I did. Watch your numbers and indicator while listening to the tone. Each alone is like sending a team into play one player at a time. A test garden is also a big help.

Look at the things I've found. They were all found in standard coin.i believe it's all about the site. I also believe I would miss a lot with all that chatter in pro mode. I even called Garrett . He said pro mode is supposed to be better but had a hard time explaining why and added if I was having success in standard, stick with it. I know my machine so well in this mode, I really don't think I am missing anything and may even be finding more because I know it so well. You just need better spots. Look up historic street markers. Look up historic buildings, often they're privately owned. Go to caretakers homes at graveyards. Read, read, read. And when you find a coin in standard, switch to pro before you dig and ease yourself into pro mode if you feel you must. Good luck !!!

Look at the things I've found. They were all found in standard coin.i believe it's all about the site. I also believe I would miss a lot with all that chatter in pro mode. I even called Garrett . He said pro mode is supposed to be better but had a hard time explaining why and added if I was having success in standard, stick with it. I know my machine so well in this mode, I really don't think I am missing anything and may even be finding more because I know it so well. You just need better spots. Look up historic street markers. Look up historic buildings, often they're privately owned. Go to caretakers homes at graveyards. Read, read, read. And when you find a coin in standard, switch to pro before you dig and ease yourself into pro mode if you feel you must. Good luck !!!

Check out the video in this thread if you haven't seen it already. It is a very biased comparison between the AT pro and the Teknetics patriot , but as he is showing the ATP in both standard mode and pro mode you can see a very big reason why pro mode is better....a faster retune speed that sounds out separate targets while in standard mode it almost calls them all one target. Its not difficult to see how that would be a benefit in trashy ground. I have noticed the same thing myself when experimenting with standard mode , it literally skips potential targets. Something worth seeing for yourself if you want to do some experimenting. here is the thread .... http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?p=2784790#post2784790

Back
Top Bottom