1800's field, 5 COPPERS!

Chefjuan

Elite Member
Such an enjoyable field hunt today. Been meaning to move on a permission I got this spring, but it's in my home town which is about an hour away. Not the quickest of locations for an afternoon hunt.

Anyway, finally managed to carve out a chunk of time this afternoon and went to work. The fields technically date well into the early 1700's and I know they have been used forever. The landowner said that I wouldn't be the first to hit them but being well used fields we all know that stuff finds it's way to the surface sooner or later...

The first area I went through was trashy ( on the corner of a 4 way intersection) but i managed to find some flat spots in the corn rows for some proper swinging and got a couple of good nice flat buttons and a broken tombac, then a MASSIVE crotal bell. That was really neat (still dings!)

Then I moved up the road a bit to a small hill where the corn had been flattened over a large area, making for ideal digging conditions. I knew that there must of been a house around there somewhere, the history I have read on that spot made it seem like a large for the time population center (probably like 50 ppl). As I was walking in i immediately hit a convex button, with a neat fingerprint design on it, too bad it's broken :/

Then the property owner pulled up and we chatted and he said that where I was used to be a row of houses! Yes! And oddly he also said that the field is "rolled" instead of tilled. Turns out that was just fine although digging in rolled soil is totally different. Anyway....

Hit a hit spot of iron and got excited then buttons started popping up everywhere. I gridded a 40'x60' area around the iron patch and then the coppers started showing... the first on out was an 1800 large cent! Yes! And a beauty. Went on to dig two more draped bust large cents (1802, 1806) and two colonial British coppers that are totally smooth unfortunately....

All said and done I got 10 buttons, a complete cuff link with initial, the 5 coppers, te usual spoon and harmonica reed, crotal bell, lantern part, beautiful buckle and a neat latch think which I hope came from a jewelry box ;)

Here are the pics, enjoy and thanks for looking

HH,
a7000c7a2f02c3281b031e518817a0ab.jpg
0b0e2c68d9456f561d9d8a43963730cb.jpg
af349729caf1f3a5cd5bdac2f0fa2aec.jpg
bfc037bae719d942df97300e4894e01f.jpg
adff9caf1c04a81f0ed11c470a51f265.jpg
7b3d12831b99b53048fb0e7b8d2a43aa.jpg
21eea90ca7b566c783592b88a0b0f37e.jpg
65f7186d1bcf1c2e02579bc78a086ed4.jpg

Chef

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You east coast guys make me sick. Sheesk, LC's, colonial coppers, and gilt buttons just oozing out of every sandbox. Sick sick sick ! :mad:

Nothing like a big green coin in the bottom of your plug ...unlike the guys in California who find gold coins like we find clad Memorial penny's

WOW !!!!
Never dug one that old.
That's a nice field........
Nice digging Chef......

Absolutely amazing hunt! Congrats on the permission and finds. Very nice.

Wow, what a hunt. Bet there's some Spanish silver in that spot. Those last two pieces, the ones with the "B's", are cuff links. I found a beautiful pair like that in gold. Turned them into a pair of earnings for my wife. She loves them.

Wow, what a hunt. Bet there's some Spanish silver in that spot. Those last two pieces, the ones with the "B's", are cuff links. I found a beautiful pair like that in gold. Turned them into a pair of earnings for my wife. She loves them.

Agreed, I haven't gotten a real yet this year!

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice hunting. Pretty sure that buckle dates a little bit newer than the coppers. Couldnt find a match in my book

Back
Top Bottom