vibra probe... really?

(Heavy)

Elite Member
Can't find much on this product, guess it must be new. Oh well i just ordered a Vibra-Probe 580 so i hope its not a piece of crap
jackchief.jpg

please don't say Vibra Probe on the outside of the box or the UPS guy is going to give me a look.

i got a vibra probe a few years ago, i forget which model i have but it has the red endcap on it. anyway i only use mine now as a backup, they are nice since they are 100% waterproof and have no power button that can break but i found it to be on the big side(compaired to a propointer) and once its on if your not hitting a target it will turn off automaticly after a minute which can be a pain sometimes, but all ya gotta do is just point it in the air to turn it back on. i also wasn't that impressed with the depth of it, mine only got about an inch of depth which stunk for checkin a thick plug.

just checked...the one i have it the 560, i think the 580 is the yellow one

Attachments

• Picture 132.jpg
    Picture 132.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 597
It's a well known and popular pinpointer, they have been around for years and where one of the top and still are for that matter though most seem to go with the Garrett one lately. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a vibraprobe.

I had one and it was horrible. I had the 560 so I hope the 580 is better. It actually did it's job well but I had to sell it because it drove my detector crazy. At the time I used an Ace 250 and if they were both on at the same time the detector would would false big time even from several feet away.

I had one and it was horrible. I had the 560 so I hope the 580 is better. It actually did it's job well but I had to sell it because it drove my detector crazy. At the time I used an Ace 250 and if they were both on at the same time the detector would would false big time even from several feet away.

I'm going to return it if it does this... that would certainly be a negative. I hope KellyCo has a decent return policy.

http://www.kellycodetectors.com/vibra/vibra_580_buy.htm

Just curious....
It appears the price on this is about the same as a Propointer.

Percentage wise, there are maybe,(guessing), .004 of people owning, talking about and posting on the Vibraprobe.
Also, out of the 85 % of people that use a probe, probably 20% of them use a Sunray or other top end, maybe 5% use the Harbor Freight or other cheap unit, and most of the rest use the Propointer with overwhelmingly positive and glowing reviews.
There is a reason for this...pretty obvious reasons, really.
It would have really helped if you could have played with all the different types before making a decision.

You one of these guys that just has to be different, aren't you?:D
I know how that is, I hate being the same as everyone else, but, in this case, I am going to predict you will return it and get the Propointer.

Kellyco has a super sale on the Propointer and some sort of crappy bag for $112.
http://www.kellycodetectors.com/offers/kellyco_discounts.php

Most other dealers will have similar prices if you call them.

I will know soon enough if all the features the Vibra Probe claim are just electronic clutter or make for any kind of decent function. However if it sends my Ace 250 into some kind of spaz or malfunction it goes right back to Kellyco and they can swap it out for the Garrett.

I have had the 560 and 580. The 560 made it a year (just past the warranty) and the 580 made it 3 months. The warranty would have covered it but i voided that when i smashed it.:lol: I have a $40 pinpointer that i have had for 4 years that has outlasted 2 Vibra probes and two Bullseye II's and will probably outlast my third Bullseye that i got with my V3i. My next one will be a propointer.

Good luck i hope your luck is better then mine was.

I've got the 580, and let me tell you...love it. VERY sturdy construction/design, you can actually dig with it a little bit with no problems. It has no little areas that dirt or grime can get into, which (imo) should improve the lifetime of the product. It doesn't interfere with my 250 either, the vibra probe 580 comes with a belt holster and doesn't cause any problems. I don't think you'll be disappointed at all!

On a side note, the box DOES say "vibra probe 580". When I brought it home from the White's store, my fiancee looked at me with a weird look and said "uh, Kevin??" :shock:

true story.

The 570 has been great for me. The only difference between the 570 and the 580 is that the 580 can manually be turned off instead of auto off like the 570. There is some cross talk with some detectors, but the manual off on the 580 should fix that for you.

Clearly the pistol probe wins hands down for depth if you care about depth in a probe. I didn't even consider the Garrett because like someone said everyone else owns a Garrett pinpointer and I like to mix it up a little especially when a new product by a competitor has been developed at a later date in the same price range with more features.

Not sure that sensitivity is the main issue with a probe when all i need is to get the item in my hand after i unearth it. Here is the awesome depth of a pistol probe if you care to watch. I don't want knobs and doors on my probe so its not for me. The Vibra Probe did not arrive today from KellyCo but its still too soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVtZlLDNT10&feature=related

vibra probe... break it down

product arrived today, video's tell the story

<---click pic to start vids

In conclusion the Vibra Probe as cool and well made as it is... does conflict with the Garrett product specifically the ACE 250 and that's the truth :cool:

I enjoyed watching your videos. But I wonder...was your Ace 250 just detecting the metal in the vibraprobe? You showed us a test with the probe on and outside in the plane of the coil....my detector will detect metal to the side of the coil as you showed too. Out to about 4 inches maybe. Consider another test with the vibraprobe off checking your detector!

Also, I would like to see a dug plug with your detector placed as you would normally set it and check the plug with the vibraprobe. Does it cause your detector to false while you are checking the plug?

Finally since it would be on your belt and turned off most of the time, does the detector mess up with it there and turned off? To me that is the real question!

BTW, very cute pup!

I had a Vibra Probe and liked it. Sturdy and water proof. It uses pulse induction and can interfere with your detector. I got in the habit of holding it behind my back while I detected and that stopped the interference. Still in that habit with the ProPointer today. Old habits...

After looking at my test vid I see where I fail to prove the issue. It looks like I am closer to the coil than I actually was and I did not duplicate the walk around after the VP was turned off... I will try again.

update: you know what, I worked with the VP all day and its really not that big of deal to holster the probe and toggle it off and on. plus when I returned with all my equipment dirty it was a snap to wash it off in the sink. yes it will make the ACE 250 sing if you have the coil close so I just swing my machine coil away from the target sight before I reach for my probe. Less than perfect situation but perhaps the probe makes up for it in other ways :)

Back
Top Bottom