how long did it take....

I just started looking about 3 weeks now. At 3 weeks found my first gold ring. It’s antique and very thin with a few missing gemstones. I’ve picked up around $7-8 in clad

So outta curiosity.... How long did it take you before finding anything valuable (I.E. Gold/Silver etc etc). We just got into the hobby a month or so ago and we found a pretty awesome 10k gold ring. Can't even describe how awesome that was to find. Heard the "low tone" and I told my lady "well.... It's either a nickel, a pull tab or it could be gold" with heavy sarcasm on the gold part lol. Sure enough tho..... There it was sticking out of the plug. Bout lost my mind. Anyways, just trying to see how long it took some of you guys to find that "oh wow!" Find.

I found silver my first week out. My second week, I found my first gold ring. I was hooked HARD at that point. Like you, I about lost my mind, knowing how many people have detected for YEARS and never come across gold rings.

I have since learned that people who search for gold rings, find them. :) Now, when I talk with other detectorists, and find out they haven't found any gold, I ask them what they search for... 100% of the time, they tell me "silver, because I don't have to look through all that trash." Yep. That explains it!

Skippy

I've been MDing since the beginning of 2017, and so far my only old coin is a 1945 wheatie. :D This may be my year... :lol: :mder: :detector:

I started last April and have found 48 rings (8 gold, 6 with diamonds, 20 or so silvers) and more necklaces, bracelets, pendants, charms, etc. And I'll break 5,800 coins tomorrow.

If I'm a normal person...and I think that I am...the standard noobie trajectory is to dig everything when you start, figure out what is a keeper, then only dig keeper signals for a while. I did that until I hit around 3,000 coins and figured that there had to be more that I'm missing. I found "Metal Detecting East Texas with Kevin" on Utoob, which is probably the only motivation that I've found to find more and better things.

For example, I dug a crapton of aluminum fencing wire at sports complexes, and I quit digging 60s signals on my AT Max. Never found any gold rings.

Silver rings are easy. Nobody is ever going to NOT dig a silver ring, because they "look" like a coin. Gold rings, though, look like trash. It is an ironic aspect of MDing.

Since last April, I have dug 48 rings. My best ever, a 14K gold solitaire weighing about 1.8 carats, I found yesterday, after digging a lot of fence wire. This thing rang up as a 64-65 on the AT Max, a typical fencing wire signal,

I think thats been my biggest issue. I leanred how to use TONE mode, and i absolutely wont dig up anything other than a solid low or a solid high. Maybe, JUST maybe, I should start dgging up the nasty tones too.....

Nice finds btw! Hopefuly once it warms up ill be able to keep up!

I just started looking about 3 weeks now. At 3 weeks found my first gold ring. It’s antique and very thin with a few missing gemstones. I’ve picked up around $7-8 in clad

very cool! I havent been at it very long myself but we found a 10k Black Hills Gold ring a few days ago. I couldnt believe it. I guess the way I look at it is this.... I dont ever EXPECT to find gold, or old coins, or anything cool really, I just turn the machine on and swing for a while... If I find something like gold or old coins, SUHWEET! if not, well at least it sure was fun digging. Not knowing whats under the trowel is what im hooked on

I found silver my first week out. My second week, I found my first gold ring. I was hooked HARD at that point. Like you, I about lost my mind, knowing how many people have detected for YEARS and never come across gold rings.

I have since learned that people who search for gold rings, find them. :) Now, when I talk with other detectorists, and find out they haven't found any gold, I ask them what they search for... 100% of the time, they tell me "silver, because I don't have to look through all that trash." Yep. That explains it!

Skippy

LOL! Thats about it.... I definitely need to dedicate more time to the trash tones.... I hear the tone break up a little and I pass it up... its a problem LOL. I just hate digging up pull tabs but i suppose if every gold ring was a perfect tone, no one would have abox full of pull tabs.... LOL

It can happen at any time. There is a correlation between the number of hunts and the chances to find something valuable. I found gold pretty early in this hobby but I used to go out for hunts almost everyday after work and all weekends. Found lots and lots of goodies including silver coins and Jewelry not to underestimate relics and incidentals.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I think thats been my biggest issue. I leanred how to use TONE mode, and i absolutely wont dig up anything other than a solid low or a solid high. Maybe, JUST maybe, I should start dgging up the nasty tones too.....

Nice finds btw! Hopefuly once it warms up ill be able to keep up!

Thank you, Chris!

I have never been surprised by any solid tone under 47 on the ATMax. But like I was saying on some other thread, I was never surprised by any solid tone under 80...until I started digging every solid tone over 47. :P

Now I dig **any tone** over 47 and some solid tones lower than that. Just to be sure. I did find a 14k woman's wedding band that was jumping like 20 numbers. Maybe 30. Can't remember now, but there was a smooshed aluminum can below it, pretty deep. I just dig the signals.

Keep in mind that I primarily hunt at newer places, mostly sports complexes and parks. Still a lot of trash, but not layers upon layers.

It can happen at any time. There is a correlation between the number of hunts and the chances to find something valuable. I found gold pretty early in this hobby but I used to go out for hunts almost everyday after work and all weekends. Found lots and lots of goodies including silver coins and Jewelry not to underestimate relics and incidentals.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That. That right there is the key. If you are hunting a place where a lot of people have been, you have the opportunity to find something shiny, but outside of blind luck, you've got to put in the time. More ground scanned = increased probability of a great find.

Absolutely agreed. I have lots of free time now a days and try to get out as much as i can. Ive seen people who have been at this hobby for over a year and havent found anything gold looking but think because me and my fiance get out as often as we do, thats why we have found as much cool stuff as we have. 10k gold in the first month doesnt seem like the norm.... regardless, i just love the hobby, and its brought me to coin collecting haha never know what your gonna dig up...just gotta dig!

I found my first (and only) gold ring a couple of years ago , the very first time I used a detector,which was borrowed from my father in law and I knew only enough about it to turn it on and listen for the beeps.
I was searching for the buried 1st base anchor in a softball field and found the ring where I thought it should be located. I assumed that the poor guy who lost it was probably digging out the very anchor that I was looking for.
Anyway, the gold band with the diamond chips on my index finger was my first ever find. I have been hopelessly hooked on this hobby ever since and for the past year, I have learned a ton from this forum and the great people who post here. The other silver jewelry is some of the "good" stuff I have found over the past couple of years.

Attachments

• 2018 silver rings.jpg
    2018 silver rings.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 64
Started with the ACE250 in 2016. Took me 2 months before I found my first silver coin, a 1917 mercury dime. Of course I then proceeded to hunt that park like a fiend for the next 6 months. Zilch. I've been back many times with my Deus and still no silver coins. Kind of funny how I'll always have a fondness for that spot because of that first dime. I would never say it's hunted out though of course;)

When I first started I practiced in my backyard.
First week I found my lost for 2 years wedding ring.
2nd week I found 7 Wheaties.
3rd week I found a small antique gold ring and a silver Washington Quarter and part of a heart locket.
4th week I found a silver and turquoise ring.
All the above was found in my backyard.
Backyards are treasure troves!

Hey C&A! Good on ya for hitting that gold ring so quickly! Thats a good omen, and should light a fire in ya!...Some dedicated hunters can go a long time between really great finds, especially dirt gold, which is the toughest target by far....It might be the ONLY one you ever find, but you got it, so hey....

Gold is no Respector of effort or intelligence, However, She does occasionally reward persistence....Like anything pursuit oriented, you gotta be out and paying attention and rabidly pursuing your target of intent....

Some rewards you get just by simply being there FIRST!...As evidenced by the CoinStar Cowboys or Bill hunters...Viable strategies freely shared here on the Forum that you can incorporate into your advancing skill set that will allow you to maximize and experience the many sub-genres of this unique and addictive Sport!:cheers3:

We are certainly optimists, dreamers, 9th inning down by 3 with the bases loaded kind of people...Welcome to the Team! :laughing:

Defineitly enjoy this reply! Lights a fire under ya kinda post! I sure hope that gold ring isnt the only one we find but like you said, at least we found it! Hopefully it warms up a couple degrees and FedEx gets here soon! new toys and dirt to be dug!

I started this hobby when I got laid off in the Summer of 2013. Didn't find my first precious metal item for 9 months. Reason, I finally realized I was doing it all wrong. Once I realized what I was doing and corrected it the items started showing up on a regular basis. Now if I dont find at least one gold a month I worry.

I started this hobby when I got laid off in the Summer of 2013. Didn't find my first precious metal item for 9 months. Reason, I finally realized I was doing it all wrong. Once I realized what I was doing and corrected it the items started showing up on a regular basis. Now if I dont find at least one gold a month I worry.

unfortunately I think Im still learning what "doing it all wrong means" but im getting a lot better. Ive ventured out of all metal mode and ive definitely notices an increase in finds and a lot less nails.... LOL

Back
Top Bottom