ACE 350 Issues...Have you had any like this?

pros3lyte

So I got my Garrett ACE 350 in the Summer of 2013, (not this past summer but the one before). I use it heavily in the Summertime, obviously not much in the winter.

While I've always had a bit of an issue with with Falsing due to the rich soil around here, its never been too much of a problem.

Over the past 6 months or so, I'm noticing that my readings tend to bounce ALOT, especially from the extreme high end of the spectrum (pure Silver), down to the Iron range. Anytime I pass my coil over Iron, it reads like a Silver Dollar, then beeps in at the low end reading of Iron, back and forth.

I've noticed that this especially happens passing over rusty nails, or chunks of metal. The rusty stuff tends to hit really high on the silver side, with some slight back and forth between that and the opposite side of the scale, but hits mostly on silver.

I'm using the standard DD coil that came with is, 8x11 I believe. Its extremely frustrating sometimes, and seems like my detector shouldn't be "detecting" silver this much. Because Its almost everytime I pass over anything iron (which can be alot in old parks).

Has anyone else had this issue? OR is it relevant to the conductivity of the Iron (or metal) I'm passing over?

My 250 with the DD coil did that, Garrett replaced the coil NO QUESTIONS asked... all I had to do was call them, they didn't even want the old coil back.

I don't know, but for some reason, this past season has been real strange for me as well here in Michigan. I hunted with both the E-Trac and my new ATP and rusty bottle caps drove us nuts. Years before I could swing my coil over one and not get a signal. This year they all rang up in the quarter range with both machines. What has changed I have absolutely no idea. Possibly it's not your machine. Just a thought.:?:

Make sure your coil cable is ran strait up your shaft and secured up about 16 inches. Then you can wind it around the shaft the rest of the way up. If you have a coil cover on remove and clean it. If you try a Morgan and it bounces from your highest segment to your lowest iron segment it's possible you are experiencing a signal "wrap around" situation? Lower the sens to see if that helps? See if you can replicate this with a silver quarter? If so then it may be your coil? It still could be your coil anyway? Pull and wiggle both coil connectors to see if you get any erratic beeps as well. Post back findings....

+1 for lowering the sens. For some reason rusty iron (nails) ring up with high tones??? Just throw it in the scrap pile & cash it later.

So I got my Garrett ACE 350 in the Summer of 2013, (not this past summer but the one before). I use it heavily in the Summertime, obviously not much in the winter.

While I've always had a bit of an issue with with Falsing due to the rich soil around here, its never been too much of a problem.

Over the past 6 months or so, I'm noticing that my readings tend to bounce ALOT, especially from the extreme high end of the spectrum (pure Silver), down to the Iron range. Anytime I pass my coil over Iron, it reads like a Silver Dollar, then beeps in at the low end reading of Iron, back and forth.

I've noticed that this especially happens passing over rusty nails, or chunks of metal. The rusty stuff tends to hit really high on the silver side, with some slight back and forth between that and the opposite side of the scale, but hits mostly on silver.

I'm using the standard DD coil that came with is, 8x11 I believe. Its extremely frustrating sometimes, and seems like my detector shouldn't be "detecting" silver this much. Because Its almost everytime I pass over anything iron (which can be alot in old parks).

Has anyone else had this issue? OR is it relevant to the conductivity of the Iron (or metal) I'm passing over?

Iron is the one of the hardest things for detectors to determine. Tat being a lower end machine makes it even harder. Lowering sensitivity and slowing your sweep speed is a way to help it.

Thanks guys. I'll try all of these out this weekend and post my results back. I was thinking of giving Garrett a call Monday morning anyways, cuz my propointer goes crazy with any pressure on the tip whatsoever. Maybe I'll run the falsing issue by them if these tests don't do the trick.

Will update soon!

I should not reply but will give it a shot

I bought an Ace 350 for the wife. Then I also bought the smaller coil that comes on the 250. I have been hunting civil war relics with it for the simple reason I enjoy operating different machines. It goes deep. Thats for sure. Deep enough to find mini ball bullets around Chattanooga. I always gave that behavior a nickname ....ghost signals...cut you sensitivity back one bar ...or try two. The key here is REPEATABLE SIGNAL .... you want to cross the coil over the target from various angles. I am beginning to believe the smaller coil that comes on the 250 is much easier for a novice operator. Cutting your teeth on an Ace 350 prepares you well to move to the AT Pro which runs with the big dogs.

Back
Top Bottom