Coyotes in my yard at night ? EDIT TO ADD: first photos likely a fox, latest photo (added 7-21) MIGHT be a coyote

We should be talking about bees and not about foxes and coyotes! More people get killed by bees every year than any bloodthirsty wild canine quadrupeds! Or pet dogs! More people get killed by pet dogs every year than by bees!

Or deer! More people get killed by deer every year than by pet dogs and bees combined! Hell, throw in sharks and snakes and mountain lions and bigfoots! Deer are the real threat to Mankind! In Michigan alone, we have 50,000 deer/car collision per YEAR! Insurance companies estimate every car/deer collision in Michigan averages $2000....

Extrapolate that out! Its the damned old deer a guy has to worry about! oh yeah, and bears too...of course! :laughing:

We should be talking about bees and not about foxes and coyotes! More people get killed by bees every year than any bloodthirsty wild canine quadrupeds! Or pet dogs! More people get killed by pet dogs every year than by bees!

Or deer! More people get killed by deer every year than by pet dogs and bees combined! Hell, throw in sharks and snakes and mountain lions and bigfoots! Deer are the real threat to Mankind! In Michigan alone, we have 50,000 deer/car collision per YEAR! Extrapolate that out! Its the damned old deer a guy has to worry about! oh yeah, and bears too...of course! :laughing:

Haha, I'm on a warpath with the deer this year..... they chewed up my fruit trees!

Haha, I'm on a warpath with the deer this year..... they chewed up my fruit trees!

Right? I hate deer! Always chewing up the Wifes Hastas, running around in traffic at all hours, bringing in ticks and whatnot...Sure they are gosh darn succulent, not like a fox or a coyote..but still..a hell of a danger and nuisance!

You know, theres more Bengal Tigers and African Lions residing in America than Coy-wolfs, so a guy has to take note of that...last count, theres over 10,000 Bengal tigers living here, more Tigers living here than in the wild Sunderbands of India! No telling how many lions!...Dont believe me? Google it! Then you get to thinking about all the hogs!

Every family knows the story when somebody asks......"Hey, where is Uncle Al?"....Some old guy answers: "He went to take a poop and the hogs ate him!" So yeah, Hogs! A guy cant even go to the outhouse for a nice peaceful sitdown without worrying about getting gobbled up by a hog! Thats why indoor plumbing was invented I bet...too many hogs out waiting at the outhouse for a easy hot meal...

And then theres Chimpanzees a guy has to also worry about! One guy on Yahoo news got his face and fingers and balls chewed off by a Chimp right here in America a few years ago! He even lived..which is a strange thing to consider..living with no face or fingers or balls? Whats the point? Not even facebook material! Probably more chimps here than any native Wolf/hybrid creature!

This is one inhospitable and dangerous Planet for a Human bean!...a guy has to be ascared of just about everything...especially yellowjackets and Chimpanzees! Not coyotes or fox though...not even in the top 10 daily threats for a guy to worry about...

Life sure is one tough dangerous deal, Steve Erwin went out merciful, stabbed straight through the heart by some stingray...Lucky bastard! Sadly, we dont have stingrays or sharks here in Lake Michigan..just a lot of deer and NAPA's....bees too, I forgot about the bees!..:laughing:

Last edited:

Right? I hate deer! Always chewing up the Wifes Hastas, running around in traffic at all hours...……..

Deer, a problem ? YES I agree !!!! :shock: :lol:

Years ago I was working a temporary job to hold me to SS retirement (wife wanted me to retire at 62 after we moved to South Carolina) that job was a very long newspaper delivery route that took me thru rural areas in the middle of the night, in the roughly 2 years I did that I must have hit about 5 or 6 deer, all but one of those was relatively minor damage, (I think at that time we actually had about 4 vehicles) but one night I was using my wife's car, a used but very nice Kia she really liked, and there was a long stretch of road before the next delivery and the speed limit was 55 as it was a main road but going thru a rural area and just on the other side of a hill there was a big deer just standing there, didn't move, and you could not see it until you got to the top of the hill but by then there was no way to stop, and you do NOT want to veer off the road as trees are a lot less movable than deer.

Anyhow, when I hit that deer it looked like it went almost straight up in the air and landed somewhere off the side of the road, my wife's Kia was totaled, the front end was smashed way in :shock: I think I dreaded telling my wife more than the accident itself :shock::lol: …….but I have to really thank God as He had to be watching over me as I did not have even a scratch or a bump, as far as me it was as if I ran into a pillow !

……….needless to say I had to agree with my wife when she said it was time to find a temporary job away from the deer :lol:

So I got a job as a night auditor at a local motel about 5 minutes from home to hold me till retirement time, and yes, even that 5 minute ride I had to watch out for deer, but that was better than watching for deer hours at a time :lol: ……..and deer were not allowed to check in at the motel so that was good :laughing:

Anyhow, on any given night we can sometimes see as many as 10 or more (usually about 4 or 5) deer walking thru our yard eating the grass and hopefully the weeds too :lol: we don't have any fancy plants to worry about and any time I would try growing vegetables I would have them fenced in with a high enough fence.

……..so if you drive where deer roam, especially at night, please watch out !!!!!

Dang GKL that was almost as good as Mud's.. almost..:grin:

We have a lot of Deer here too.. lots of New babies this time of year too.. I have one who has a Jacked up ear I call Floppy and her baby I call Flaby.
Then I have this Big A$$ Buck that likes to lay down in front of my shop in the shade.. big boy even my dog don't mess with Buckie..

I figured if you can't beat em.. Name em.

Deer, a problem ? YES I agree !!!! :shock: :lol:

Years ago I was working a temporary job to hold me to SS retirement (wife wanted me to retire at 62 after we moved to South Carolina) that job was a very long newspaper delivery route that took me thru rural areas in the middle of the night, in the roughly 2 years I did that I must have hit about 5 or 6 deer, all but one of those was relatively minor damage, (I think at that time we actually had about 4 vehicles) but one night I was using my wife's car, a used but very nice Kia she really liked, and there was a long stretch of road before the next delivery and the speed limit was 55 as it was a main road but going thru a rural area and just on the other side of a hill there was a big deer just standing there, didn't move, and you could not see it until you got to the top of the hill but by then there was no way to stop, and you do NOT want to veer off the road as trees are a lot less movable than deer.

Anyhow, when I hit that deer it looked like it went almost straight up in the air and landed somewhere off the side of the road, my wife's Kia was totaled, the front end was smashed way in :shock: I think I dreaded telling my wife more than the accident itself :shock::lol: …….but I have to really thank God as He had to be watching over me as I did not have even a scratch or a bump, as far as me it was as if I ran into a pillow !

……….needless to say I had to agree with my wife when she said it was time to find a temporary job away from the deer :lol:

So I got a job as a night auditor at a local motel about 5 minutes from home to hold me till retirement time, and yes, even that 5 minute ride I had to watch out for deer, but that was better than watching for deer hours at a time :lol: ……..and deer were not allowed to check in at the motel so that was good :laughing:

Anyhow, on any given night we can sometimes see as many as 10 or more (usually about 4 or 5) deer walking thru our yard eating the grass and hopefully the weeds too :lol: we don't have any fancy plants to worry about and any time I would try growing vegetables I would have them fenced in with a high enough fence.

……..so if you drive where deer roam, especially at night, please watch out !!!!!

I was raised on a farm and have ran int a lot of coyotes as well as other animals. I never have had one that didn't run away when it saw me.. I was more woried about the tracks from a mountain lion that I saw a few weeks earlier. These days people have moved into territory where coyotes have always lived. I would be more worried about it attacking small pets that being attacked by one.

I don't remember how old I was,maybe 6 or 7, but it was one of the first times I was allowed to go to the pond across the street by myself, there was a tractor path through the fields, probably close to a half mile long. when I got there a fat groundhog was sitting on the bank, I crept up to rock throwing distance and let a couple fly. The woodchuck jumped up screamed and came running at me jumping and shreeking. I dropped my pole and tackle box and took off running with the devil right behind me. He chased me almost all the way to the road both of us were screaming. I had to get an older neighbor kid to help me retrieve my gear. I couldn't tell Mom or Dad about it because I thought it would add to the dangers of the pond. I gained a lot of respect for critters in that short run,and have not thrown a rock at one since that day.

yeah but the problem is they have spread throughout the majority of the upper half of the east coast. Most people still think they are just coyotes, and telling people coyotes are harmless is setting someone up for failure if they don't know any better.

I understand your viewpoint, but it would be a shame to live your life in constant paranoia of them.Should you be carefull around your 1/2's ,yes you should. But they are not considered a common human killer.But still...use common sense and dont put yourself in a position where youbare at there mercy , because even if it's a regular coyote it could be rabid. But I am telling the majority of americans that they are harmless.( unless you live on the east coast:grin:)

Dang GKL that was almost as good as Mud's.. almost..:grin:

We have a lot of Deer here too.. lots of New babies this time of year too.. I have one who has a Jacked up ear I call Floppy and her baby I call Flaby.
Then I have this Big A$$ Buck that likes to lay down in front of my shop in the shade.. big boy even my dog don't mess with Buckie..

I figured if you can't beat em.. Name em.

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

I won't even pretend to be as good as Mud when it comes to verbosity :theatral: :lol:

We get too many deer around here to name them all :laughing:

I was raised on a farm and have ran int a lot of coyotes as well as other animals. I never have had one that didn't run away when it saw me.. I was more woried about the tracks from a mountain lion that I saw a few weeks earlier. These days people have moved into territory where coyotes have always lived. I would be more worried about it attacking small pets that being attacked by one.

First year we moved here I heard at night a sound similar to a baby's cry coming from the woods, I had read somewhere a Bobcat can sound like that but I have not heard it since then whatever it was.

I don't remember how old I was,maybe 6 or 7, but it was one of the first times I was allowed to go to the pond across the street by myself, there was a tractor path through the fields, probably close to a half mile long. when I got there a fat groundhog was sitting on the bank, I crept up to rock throwing distance and let a couple fly. The woodchuck jumped up screamed and came running at me jumping and shreeking. I dropped my pole and tackle box and took off running with the devil right behind me. He chased me almost all the way to the road both of us were screaming. I had to get an older neighbor kid to help me retrieve my gear. I couldn't tell Mom or Dad about it because I thought it would add to the dangers of the pond. I gained a lot of respect for critters in that short run,and have not thrown a rock at one since that day.

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

now THAT would have made for a funny youtube video :laughing:

I understand your viewpoint, but it would be a shame to live your life in constant paranoia of them.Should you be carefull around your 1/2's ,yes you should. But they are not considered a common human killer.But still...use common sense and dont put yourself in a position where youbare at there mercy , because even if it's a regular coyote it could be rabid. But I am telling the majority of americans that they are harmless.( unless you live on the east coast:grin:)

I appreciate everyone sharing their viewpoints, and yes I agree we should not live in fear of them, but it is common sense to have a healthy respect of the potential danger and err on the side of caution especially when it comes to small pets that are easier targets. And you bring up a very good point that even if it's a regular coyote it could be rabid.

I remember the first time that I heard a bobcat scream. We were in Jr. High and the three of us were camping alone near a creek. It sounded like someone being murdered. We didn't sleep much that night.

I remember the first time that I heard a bobcat scream. We were in Jr. High and the three of us were camping alone near a creek. It sounded like someone being murdered. We didn't sleep much that night.
Ever grab a live Bullfrog? Sounds like a baby screaming!

Okay, captured this still from a short video clip I got from the trail camera in my yard about 1 1/2 weeks ago, but just now got around to checking out the clips.

I could be wrong but this does appear to look more like a coyote than the earlier pics I posted (one thing the tail doesn't seem as long)
cf101.jpg

Okay, captured this still from a short video clip I got from the trail camera in my yard about 1 1/2 weeks ago, but just now got around to checking out the clips.

I could be wrong but this does appear to look more like a coyote than the earlier pics I posted (one thing the tail doesn't seem as long)
View attachment 420154
I agree coyote - it’s lacking the markings of a fox.

I remember hearing this when I was about 20, I was in the middle of a lake on a boat fishing about 11 pm, thought it was a child screaming, it just weirded me out.

I agree coyote - it’s lacking the markings of a fox.

Thanks, that what I was thinking also when I compared the latest photo to the earlier ones.

Yeah I got some medicine for your friend.
Permanent sleep medicine.
Called a crossbow.

The only thing is from what I read the coyote problem is so bad in South Carolina (and other places too) that as many that are captured or killed it has only made a small percentage decrease in their population. I guess people need to try to avoid having anything that would attract them more than usual, like open trash cans, we have rabbits and deer around here so that might be what they are hunting at night.

I remember hearing this when I was about 20, I was in the middle of a lake on a boat fishing about 11 pm, thought it was a child screaming, it just weirded me out.

It is definitely a sound that can weird you out :shock: sounded almost like a baby crying to me but I knew it obviously wasn't coming from the woods in the evening.

View attachment 420154

You got yourself a Yote that time.

Back
Top Bottom