So angry...

If it's a manicured, currently used sports field, you shouldn't even be digging holes with a digger. Using your pinpointer, a screwdriver and pin-pointing ability on your metal detector, a signal can easily be picked up with the pinpointer, located with a screw driver and then just popped out of the ground. Once you perfect this method, your finds will easily double, and you won't get banned from that area. It only takes one A$$ to close an area. Thanks to you for filling in what holes you did.

Here is a video link on how to do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoLvboex7sM

Great training job John.
I know a lot of us use a screwdriver, I always wanted to do a vedio on how to pop a coin out with a drever. I am not good with a camera.

Thanks John

KEN:D

At my local park I have seen both holes left by other detectors and fields torn up by people in cars cutting doughnuts. I have met other detectors and explained to them that leaving holes could get the parks closed to detecting. I have also seen that they never heard a word that I told them because I found fresh holes like they had left before. Sometimes I spend more time filling holes than I do detecting. I always check their holes because besides being idiots a lot don't know how to pinpoint and often leave the item behind. I once found sixteen coins in about twenty-two holes left in a park. They feel that they are going to get rich detecting and for some I hope that they soon give up the hobby because they don't.

It's outrageous that uncaring, self absorbed fools can ruin it for responsible detectorists.
When I encounter these "goofer" holes I fill them back up as I too don't want anyone to think it's me being so careless.

My six year old and nine year old grandsons will even say fill in the hole Pop's fill in the hole. Teaching them right is the key not everything is a coin and they even pick up a small bag of trash before they leave an area to keep the area nicer than it was when I got there.

The local park I typically hunt just opened up to MD about 4 or so years ago. In the article I read about the open to MD the county park director compared the marks left by MD no more than a divot on a golf course. Then he went on to say if it becomes a problem they will ban it again. To me, a divot is still a bit much. I'm relatively new to the hobby, but common sense goes a long way. I have found evidence of others detecting there. HUGE plugs!!! They tried to cover them, but they still look terrible. Nothing there is more than 4" deep. A nice hand tool is all you need. I make it a point to make the area look exactly as I found it. Sometimes that means taking a little more time to dress up the plug, but it's worth it as long as I can still hunt there.

Back
Top Bottom