Lots of Silver & Other Cool Finds

Wolf-Dog

Elite Member
Went out on some errands last week and stopped to do some CRHing. I asked for all their half & dollar coins as well as $3 in Pennies, $2 in Nickels, & $5 in Dimes. They had 14 half dollars and 2 dollar coins. I was delighted to see the silver rim on a few of the halves they handed me! :woot:

I got my very first silvers and a couple other coins (halves & pennies) that I needed for my newly started collections. :thumbsup:

1952 Franklin
1957 Franklin
1961-D Franklin
1964 Kennedy
1969-D Kennedy (40% silver)

1944-D Wheat Penny
1973 Canadian Penny
1944-D War Nickel
1999-D Lincoln Penny - Looks like it was minted too far left. Anyone know if it’s worth anything? :?:

If someone could describe how to tell if a half dollar is a Proof or a NIFC I would love to know. :mder:

Attachments

• Silver Coins Obverse (Resized).jpg
    Silver Coins Obverse (Resized).jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 931
  • Silver Coins Reverse (Resized).jpg
    Silver Coins Reverse (Resized).jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 840
  • 1999 Lincoln Penny Obverse (Resized).jpg
    1999 Lincoln Penny Obverse (Resized).jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 883
Last edited:
Congrats, Wolf-Dog! Love those silvers. :clapping:

Thanks Princess! Yes, the silvers are really neat coins. :D

Nice scores from a short stack! Keep hitting that bank for Old Glory!

Thanks Mud-puppy! I was really surprised to see them myself. :wow: This is the second time I've asked for half dollars, the first time they only had 1 (clad). I plan on going back soon. :yes:

Nice ones WD! I really envy you, as I gave up the banks years ago.
I'd been roll hunting since a teen back in the 1970s.

NIFC are coins minted for collectors, (halves dated 1970, 1987 and 2002-present) and Not Intended For Circulation. Collectors might buy rolls directly from the mint, cherry pick the best example(s), and dump the rest, where they end up at the bank.

Proof coins are also minted for collectors, stamped on highly polished dies, and usually have a mirrored field with sometimes 'frost-looking' centers. Most likely these coins have an S mint mark, and could be clad or silver.

The best purchase you could make would be the US Redbook, which is sold annually. It gives all kinds of great info on US coins.

Nice ones WD! I really envy you, as I gave up the banks years ago.

NIFC are coins minted for collectors, (halves dated 1970, 1987 and 2002-present) and Not Intended For Circulation. Collectors might buy rolls directly from the mint, cherry pick the best example(s), and dump the rest, where they end up at the bank.

Proof coins are also minted for collectors, stamped on highly polished dies, and usually have a mirrored field with sometimes 'frost-looking' centers. Most likely these coins have an S mint mark, and could be clad or silver.

The best purchase you could make would be the US Redbook, which is sold annually. It gives all kinds of great info on US coins.

Thanks for the information. Are all halves minted 1970, 1987, & 2002-present only NIFC's? :?:

I am considering getting the newest US Red Book, as my current one is from 1996 that I got from a garage sale. It's sort of outdated. :laughing:

Thanks for the information. Are all halves minted 1970, 1987, & 2002-present only NIFC's? :?:

I am considering getting the newest US Red Book, as my current one is from 1996 that I got from a garage sale. It's sort of outdated. :laughing:

All 1970 Kens are 40% Ag, and were minted in both proof and business strike modes, but they were only sold in sets with other coins minted that year....so if you got even a business strike 1970 Ken, it is both a scarce half dollar and a 40% Ag! Technically, the US Mint in 1987 minted only about 20% of the normal mint run in halves that year and when collectors snapped them up, it made them very scarce in circulation, but they were not really a NIFC coinage....starting in 2002 the US Mint dramatically reduced the number of halves minted and then sold them in $1000 bags, principally to coin dealers. That practice continued until just a few years ago when they started minting Kens and selling by the $100 increments to collectors and dealers. Normal mintage on Kens was about 10 million annually, except for 1987, and from 2002 on, which still run about 2 million. One of these days this coin is going to run its course and they will stop minting halves altogether. When that happens, the price of the lower mintage halves, those in better condition, will soar in price amongst collectors. But presently, many collectors who have reached near the end of their active collecting period, and needing money for retirement seem to be taking them to the dump machines at the bank to be shed of them! His Majesty has seen a couple of boxes this year that are examples of that activity....fully 80% of a $500 box was NIFCs in excellent condition.

And by the way, Royal Congrats on some very nice silver halves!:D:D

Congrats on all of the CRH silver! Very nice haul!

Thanks, Waveoff! I am pleased as well. :D

All 1970 Kens are 40% Ag, and were minted in both proof and business strike modes, but they were only sold in sets with other coins minted that year....so if you got even a business strike 1970 Ken, it is both a scarce half dollar and a 40% Ag! Technically, the US Mint in 1987 minted only about 20% of the normal mint run in halves that year and when collectors snapped them up, it made them very scarce in circulation, but they were not really a NIFC coinage....starting in 2002 the US Mint dramatically reduced the number of halves minted and then sold them in $1000 bags, principally to coin dealers. That practice continued until just a few years ago when they started minting Kens and selling by the $100 increments to collectors and dealers. Normal mintage on Kens was about 10 million annually, except for 1987, and from 2002 on, which still run about 2 million.

And by the way, Royal Congrats on some very nice silver halves!:D:D

Thanks, KT, for adding your royal input. My Half dollar knowledge is growing day-by-day! Your royal congrats was received with gratitude! :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom