GPS

I've been wanting to buy one for the last year, but so far I've been unable to purchase one. I do plan on it though as I have several maps that it would work well on.

My son took one with us the few times we went out but unless you are looking for specific coordinates from an old map or you want to pinpoint a good find to come back and check again I did not see the point. Of course I live in DE so it would be hard to get lost!

Well i have been considering GPS now for some time,the only thing i am wondering about is ,would it be one of those gadgets you use for the first few times and then realise was it actually worth spending the money on.I bought a probe about 6 months back and have used it once,i dont even carry it with me anymore. Do i really need GPS,i dont know as ive never had it.There,s mixed thoughts on another forum i asked.Someone said he takes colored clothes pegs with him and if he needs to go back to that place well he puts one on a stick (hardly GPS) and it works.Am i trying to make what is really quite a uncomplicated hobby to technical,i mean if it beeps you dig it out,simple as that.I really dont know.

I have a Garmin GPS 76C that I bought for boating and I use it a few times a year, mainly when I go offshore fishing (way offshore!). This summer I took it with me on on our road trip vacation and I thought it was great! All upcoming major exits and roadways were marked. It was great to use in conjunction with a map. Since my son is a Cub Scout, and we camp a lot, I know there will be times that it will come in handy. I highly recommend it! :yes: As for its use with me and MDing, I just don't see it right now. I recommend getting a color one if you do! :yes:

I geocache so I have a Garmin 60CSx which is the hottest thing on the market at the moment. I really don't see how a GPS would benefit MDing unless you are trying to get back to a certain spot that isn't easily remembered, such as deep in the woods.

With that being said, you could use it to help do a grid search. It might also come in handy for beach searches where everything looks the same. Especially in the water.

If anyone wants more information as to what they can do, let me know.

El Diablo

I've got a couple from geocaching. I agree with El Diablo, I don't see the need unless you need to find a site in the deep woods. I was geocaching and found an old homestead deep in the woods off the beaten path. There was a foundation and well. It was easy to get back to with the GPS coordinates. Rob

I use mine a lot. We go along railroad tracks and find sites & I research long gone sites in the desert. Over the last 15 years we have probably gone to around 60 sites - or more. The GPS is usually right on or very close.
I have a Magellan Explorist 100. it's very basic, I dont need any bells & whistles, just get the numbers & go.
The GPS is the greatest thing since the detector as far as I'm concerned. Steve in so az

I was looking at getting one this past spring, but held off.

I use my Street Atlas 2005 program (Delorme) to put pinpoints on areas of future and past hunting interest, and save the maps. I also have their "Tripmate" GPS for when I travel. The laptop is a great navigator, but would be too cumbersome in the field.

Delorme is due to release a hand held GPS with a larger screen than you are used to seeing. It is going to use their own maps from their Street Atlas programs as well as their "Topo USA" software. These maps are far more detailed, and far cheaper than what you are used to seeing in small GPS. The unit is due to have removable memory, color screen, the latest in GPS chipset, upload & download capability and has a target street price of about $ 200. It is slated to outperform what is currently available.
It is currently labeled PN-20. I don't remember some of the other features, but I got this info straight from the developers. It is targeted for release before Xmas, but there have been 2 other release times which did not occur due to technology moving so fast, and Delorme wanting to be on top in the marketplace.

Hi Simon
I got bought one as a present and like the pinpointers I've had as 'free gifts' with detectors it soon got sold on. That was in the days when the U.S. military insisted on the accuracy not being up to much.
Good abroad but on our small fields you can normally see far enough to take sightings from trees or gateways. I do take a few bright coloured tent pegs to mark important finds/concentrations of finds or signals with a P.I. to be checked later with a discriminating machine.

Hey simon,
A while back I came across a web site that you might find interesting and could possibly get some answers, The problem is I can't remember exactly :?: I think it is geocache.com or geocacheing.com I myself don't think it would'nt help you if your just randomly detecting like most of us do, But if yuor wanting to document or createing a grid map you would want to have one for sure. On the other hand it would be a cool; gadget just to have.

rustynail1 said:
Hey  simon,
                     A while back I came across a web site that you might find interesting and could possibly get some answers, The problem is I can't remember exactly  :?: I think it is geocache.com or geocacheing.com  I myself don't think it would'nt help you if your just randomly detecting like most of us do, But if yuor wanting to document or createing a grid map you would want to have one for sure. On the other hand it would be a cool; gadget just to have. 

It's geocaching.com a web site that list Geocaches around the world. For those of you not familar with geocaching, it's basically a high tech treasure hunt that uses a hand held GPS unit to find hidden caches.

These caches are usually containers such as ammo cans, tupperware, 35 mm film canisters...etc. The larger caches usually contain some type of inexpensive prizes. The idea is to find one and log your visit in a log book inside the cache. If you take something from the cache, you must put something back in of equal or greater value. This way the cache is constantly recycling it's self.There are hundreds of thousands hidden around the world.

I would venture to quess that for the majority of people here that live in populated areas there are a 100 caches within 30 miles of you if not more.

El Diablo

I do and I know Jeff does also. It's nice to be able to go back to a good spot in the woods when you're not familier with the area. Or to look for cellar holes or old ball feilds etc. that you found using satilite pictures. You can buy a good unit for under a $100.00. Cladius.

geocaching that El Diablo mentions is a great way to learn how to use a GPS, and a whole lot of fun in the process. I started geocaching years ago with my kids...it was an excellent way to get them outdoors and into the adventure of treasure hunting. (They feel they are too old now to go tramping through the woods with their dad :( )

One accessory to get, if your gps doesn't come with it, is a cable to download coordinates from your computer...sure beats typing them in with the little pads on the gps. Also, the mapping software available these days provide a means to download to the most popular units.

Just my 2 cents...

Dan

I have had a Garmin 60Cs for a year and a half and use it mainly for road routing on vacations and for geocaching.  I have however used it a couple times for MD'ing.  I was looking at a 1900 topo map and spotted a sulfur springs location where people use to go to soak.  There are no roads there now.  Using the topo features on the old maps I located the same land features on the topo maps that I have loaded on the 60CS, marked a waypoint at the spot and hiked in.  It got me pretty close to the spot and I was able to locate the old foundations. 

Having topo maps loaded on your GPS would most likely be the most useful part of having a GPS for MD'ing.

My useage along with maintaining my map catalog would be in recording areas covered when out in the bush. I have a very large historical area that I started working last year (1200 acres). I am doing sections of various terrain, and want to keep a record as to what was hunted since it will take a few years.

Back
Top Bottom