• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Would you buy this shovel for metal detecting?

It's A Trap!

A military surplus site is selling these tri-fold entrenching tools with a MOLLE carrier for $25. I double checked to make sure they weren't a known knockoff brand called texsport and they weren't. The E-tools are from a mix of tool manufacturers for the military and you don't have a choice of what manufacturer you want. Some of the shovels show wear but the covers are new.

I was wondering if this is a good deal or should I buy something else. Does anyone else use E-tools to dig up finds?

picture.php

A military surplus site is selling these tri-fold entrenching tools with a MOLLE carrier for $25. I double checked to make sure they weren't a known knockoff brand called texsport and they weren't. The E-tools are from a mix of tool manufacturers for the military and you don't have a choice of what manufacturer you want. Some of the shovels show wear but the covers are new.

I was wondering if this is a good deal or should I buy something else. Does anyone else use E-tools to dig up finds?

I tried one a few years ago. It was hard to dig a clean plug on grass but was ok in the woods, until I wore out the joint above the blade and couldn't keep it open anymore. I replaced it with a Sampson T Handle and am much happier.

I got a german WW2 folding entrenching tool ... came with its own sheath .its awesome .. Just dont use it as much as I used too . after I made my own ss digger ..

Walmart has one like for ten bucks.

Sporting goods will have em. Ok for soft ground. Broke a few in the army.

First Texas sent me a good one when I upgraded my F75. Sorry no pictures. But had a built in pick and was a two piece screw together steel shovel.

That said, I dont like shovels for general coin shooting.

You really don't save money in the long run by using a cheap digging tool. The only cheap shovel i have had success with is a tiling space I had to cut down. It was still to bulky...do your self a favor and just get a Sampson shovel, you will never regret it.

I tried one a few years ago. It was hard to dig a clean plug on grass but was ok in the woods, until I wore out the joint above the blade and couldn't keep it open anymore. I replaced it with a Sampson T Handle and am much happier.

Sampson will be much better for ya, man.

If you want something small and compact go with the Sampson mini 18". I was using a black and Decker 18" before and since the purchase of the mini 18" I haven't looked back. You will not be disappointed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I bought the shovel since I could always throw it in the trunk of my car if I ever need to dig my car out of the show. I ended up testing it out yesterday when I was hunting an old house foundation in the woods and the shovel actually worked pretty well. The shovel cut through small roots quickly and created a triangle shaped hole and for the large roots I used the serrated edge and it took care of those in a couple swings.

I would recommend this shovel if you have a good back and don't mind being on your knees and if you hunt a lot of remote places where you don't have to worry about making a large hole in the ground. The shovel also folds up so you can attach it to your belt or put it in a backpack

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom