Homemade sand scoop

Benevo_Malevo

So I've been looking at long handled sand scoops and I just can't see paying 50 bucks for something like that. Sure, maybe down the road when detecting starts paying for itself (I haven't started yet), I can justify spending that kind of green, but atm I'm on a very tight budget.

Watching YouTube, I've seen some pretty awesome homemade scoops.

Since I'm big into shopping garage sales for items to make do with. I think I'm going to go out tomorrow and search for various things to make a scoop with.

So far, I've thought of small, thick aluminum pots, various garden tools that'll have sturdy aluminum handles, and various aluminum pipes (can also be handles) to flatten the ends, drill holes, and bolt into places for bracing.

Anyone have any other ideas that I could think about? My parents have several tools that I can use to work the metal with, so fabrication shouldn't be a problem. The only thing I don't have immediate access to is a welder, so I need to use bolts or rivets to put it together.

Any useful ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Hey if I lived in FL. I'd get a good one if your going to the beachs ! A lot of home made vid's for those who like to tinker , have fun . ,,,,,HH

$50 for a scoop? buy a good one. 1 good find and its paid for. get a stealth. if you give up the hobby, it will still be worth it on resale.

$50 for a scoop? buy a good one. 1 good find and its paid for. get a stealth. if you give up the hobby, it will still be worth it on resale.

Well, I've kinda already gone over my budget for this hobby. It started out at $200 for the detector. I convinced my wife that $300 was needed for a good mid range entry level detector (which is true). I ended up spending 314 altogether including a few accessories (covers for both the coil and the box), got a freebie pinpointer for spending over 300. The pinpointer will be replaced later down the line, but if I didn't get the freebie, I wouldn't have one at all to start with. Spent another 12 bucks at garage sales getting a mesh bag (2 bucks) for trash, 10 bucks for a used trench shovel in great shape. I'm pretty sure my wife would kill me if I spent $50 on a scoop, much less any more than that.

I'm just trying to start it out right and do my best with what I got. That's why I need to start out with decent stuff at a really cheap price so I can upgrade things as I go. I don't plan on ever giving up this hobby. It's something I've wanted to start for 20 years (I'm only 33 years old).

I hear ya buddy. are you working wet or dry sand? us northern folks have a small window for when the water is actually warm enough to hunt. (some of us sane folks) we envy you southern hunters.

Many of us tried to make our own scoops at first. Its a good learning experience , but in almost every situation its usually also a waste of money :lol: Once you watch your homemade scoop break and fall apart rather quickly the understanding sets in......should have put those funds toward a commercially available scoop. There are a few who have made scoops up to the challenge , some really nice ones , but the cost of the materials and work put into it make buying a pre made one a better option.

You can get away with using just about anything as long as you are in dry sand , but once you hit the wet sand , especially in the water.....you need something built like a tank or it wont last long. Its hard to imagine the kind of stress the wet sand puts on a scoop until you have experienced it first hand.

Dry sand. That's what I have to start out with considering my detector (Bounty Hunter Platinum) isn't going to fare too well in wet sand. I'll eventually get a pulse induction detector for the wet sand or an AT Pro, but that's for a later date. I'm planning on upgrading everything eventually. I just have to start finding the good stuff to start paying for it. :lol:

It can be done. I got a piece of stainless steel from a local scrap yard. I took that to a friend of mine who does metal work. He cut out the initial shape and then I took it to my local high school. They set up a CNC to punch all the holes. Then back to my friend who bent it and welded it. I have less then $20.00 in this one. Same basic dimensions as a stealth scoop. It is very heavy duty and won't be falling apart any time soon.

Many of us, myself included, made our first scoops, nothing wrong with that. But, in the long run it's cheaper to shell out for a nice one and be done with it.

Any useful ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Harbor Freight $5 spade and a used tennis racket will let you hand-sift through the dry stuff no problem! Also, an aluminum veggie or pasta strainer will work if you drill the holes bigger.

Here's an article I wrote...
http://detecting365.com/5-year-review-sand-scoops/

There are scoops for every budget, but what is the difference between making one and buying one of those fancy models?

Well, here is a quick review on some of the popular styles that I have owned over the past five years.

1. This DIY style scoop has lasted over 5-years.

All materials were repurposed from leftovers found on construction sites, so the cost was $0.00. The downside is the diameter is narrower than most coils and it can take many scoops to dig out targets. Nonetheless, it is fantastically efficient when you come across a coin spill in the dry sand.

2. A hand scoop made from steel is an upgrade from the PVC.

The handle is positioned to maximize the force from your hand and it will easily slice through shells and small stones. It is great for wet or dry sand, but almost impossible to use in the surf unless u are snorkeling. The cost is often less than $30 which makes it an affordable investment for most people.

3. An aluminum scoop with a short handle is the ideal size for kids to use or great for retrieving targets from the DRY sand.

The caveat to this scoop is the short handle requires most adults to hunch over and it doesn’t slice through the wet sand easily. Therefore operators will tend to use his/her foot to push it into the sand BUT using your foot will likely bend the aluminum back plate and eventually crack the welds. At costs up to $60, I recommend self control and only using it in the dry…OR…it can make a great donor for those with welding skills.

4. At 3.7 lbs. this long handled aluminum scoop is nicely balanced, enables you to dig while standing and works great in the water.

Some effort is needed to push through seaweed, shells, and rock, but in tough surf it doesn’t cause injury or lacerations as easy as sharp angled scoops. FWIW, I’ve owned three of these scoops over the years (from various mfg’s) and all of them bent the handle and/or cracked the welds within the first 30 days of use. After finding a reputable welder, side support plates were added which prevented further damage.

5. At 3.6 lbs. and including the weight of a wooden handle, this Stainless Steel scoop by Sunspot is marginally lighter than the aluminum and the weight can be further reduced by using a carbon-fiber handle in place of the wood.

The angled design slices through seaweed, shells, and small rocks but in rough surf it has caused more than one not so pleasant encounter with my legs. The size and sheer quantity of holes make water sifting almost effortless and dry sand sifting easier than the round aluminum scoop; however, the scoop has a greater capacity and can get heavy with a full load. Targets are retrieved expediently and it has been my primary scoop without failure over the past 3-years.

FINAL THOUGHTS

Regardless of budget, there are a lot of options for getting into beach hunting.

Just keep in mind the old saying of “Get the correct tool for the job” It will likely increase your enjoyment of the hobby!

-David

Attachments

• IMG_20151201_180451.jpg
    IMG_20151201_180451.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 3,016
Like Ohio Chris said, everyone should at least TRY to make their own scoop! If nothing else but to fully appreciate the tools!

I was like you..."I aint paying no $150 bucks for a shovel with holes in it!" After a few worthless attempts, I hit on this concept, since I dont have a welder, I thought of this......Its all dovetailed and keyholed and therefore doesnt need the welds....all the pieces lock together under tension, and its held up for now 4yrs of pretty heavy use in the wet and dry...took a couple hours to build....it was my 3rd attempt...I just did it quick and dirty on account of I was unsure if it would hold up or not...So far, hey, its has made me a Pile of money!

I used that Alumaweld rod you can get and apply with a Propane torch, but those joints have long since failed....Yet, the thing has held together and works just fine on account of the way it was built....nothing but simple hand tools...jigsaw, drill, hacksaw and file...scrap pieces of aluminum flat stock...1/4" and an ice scoop you can get for @$16 from an online restaurant supply house....I've pounded through frozen sand even...

Attachments

• scoop 1.jpg
    scoop 1.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 2,270
  • scoop 2.jpg
    scoop 2.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 2,118
  • scoop 3.jpg
    scoop 3.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 2,419
  • scoop 4.jpg
    scoop 4.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 2,177
  • scoop 5.jpg
    scoop 5.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 2,148
Interesting. Thanks for the idea. If I build something like that, should I groove the handle where the U Bolts touch the handle? A shallow groove, nothing deep to compromise the strength.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

My dad in a mechanic and has a welder. I used to work with him and have some welding experience myself. I may try to find the parts and get it all put together. There's a machine shop close to where he works, so I might ask them if it's going to be all aluminum. My dad doesn't have the material to weld aluminum.

Interesting. Thanks for the idea. If I build something like that, should I groove the handle where the U Bolts touch the handle? A shallow groove, nothing deep to compromise the strength.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Yep...I used a chainsaw file there...just to keep everything seated...Actually, Each and every one of the components is in balance with the others..they all take the load equally...I bought two of those scoops, and have some plate left over...I'm thinking about building a backup, taking good pictures and do a decent write up...

The thing is, built this way, its a scoop that doesnt need any advanced welding/fab skills, just basic woodworkers handtools to fabricate it quick and cheaply.....I never thought it would hold up this long...but...yep...all in compression and forces distributed evenly...I also like the open top..just a whole lot easier and faster pulling finds...

Attachments

• sept 14-16-2.jpg
    sept 14-16-2.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 2,171
Like Ohio Chris said, everyone should at least TRY to make their own scoop! If nothing else but to fully appreciate the tools!

I was like you..."I aint paying no $150 bucks for a shovel with holes in it!" After a few worthless attempts, I hit on this concept, since I dont have a welder, I thought of this......Its all dovetailed and keyholed and therefore doesnt need the welds....all the pieces lock together under tension, and its held up for now 4yrs of pretty heavy use in the wet and dry...took a couple hours to build....it was my 3rd attempt...I just did it quick and dirty on account of I was unsure if it would hold up or not...So far, hey, its has made me a Pile of money!

I used that Alumaweld rod you can get and apply with a Propane torch, but those joints have long since failed....Yet, the thing has held together and works just fine on account of the way it was built....nothing but simple hand tools...jigsaw, drill, hacksaw and file...scrap pieces of aluminum flat stock...1/4" and an ice scoop you can get for @$16 from an online restaurant supply house....I've pounded through frozen sand even...

Mud, you did an excellent job on that scoop! I'm gonna need something like that for my upcoming trip to the beach. Do you remember what size scoop you used for that? I checked and they are sized in ounces. Here's one on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Extra-Large...314089?hash=item4177889569:g:clMAAOSw44BYNgJ2

I'm going to make one out of a polyurethane shovel. There's a guy from Australia on YouTube that did it and is killing it. It appears to be super strong even in wet sand. The time he saves digging is pretty impressive. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Back
Top Bottom