• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Garrett Pro Pointer UNDER 2 inches?

Buried

Elite Member

Ok, so I posted before about 125.00 pro pointer vs 16.00 cen-tech
but after watching this video, I'm thinking "WHAT?"
169.00 Pistol Probe reaching about 6 inches
125.00 Pro Pointer reaching under 2 inches
16.00 Cen-Tech modded can reach 2 inches
9.99 stud finder modded can reach 2 inches

So.. can someone please explain whats going on?
Seems with the range and everything with the competitors, it should be about $25.00 - $35.00

We all know Garrett makes great products and that garrett pro pointer is the best, so no need for those comments, what I'm looking for is specifics/numbers/examples

facts, not opinions please

Thank you

Going on with what? I think the whole depth thing with pinpointers is a bit of a strange debate...I want my pointer to tell me when I'm close to the target not 6 inches away from it. There are so many threads about pointer depth but I just don't think depth is really all that important with a pointer....as I said, I want to know if I'm close to the target...I would gladly choose a pointer that had a 2 inch depth over a 6 inch depth but that's just me. Stats, numbers, whatever...get out there and find some stuff.

I also would not want to go much further than 2" when I am trying to find a target in the hole, and that 2" depth and detuning comes in handy in that phase.
On the other hand locating targets from the top of the ground before I dig a greater range is extremely useful and I have figured out how to supertune mine with one hand quick and easy without using a stupid sliding coin and can easily reach targets with mine at least 4" or more before I dig.
Up to 6" on coin size objects when the ground is moist, as a matter of fact.
The techniques I use to do these things and make small holes and retrieve targets on an average of 20 seconds cannot be done with most other pinpointers except for maybe the Minelab.

Learn how to use it correctly the Propointer is invaluable and well worth the price.

I love the pistol probe.You can coin shoot for clad and not tear a soccer field or nice grass up.Even the most careful diggers kill grass during dry weather.You use the pistol probe and a screwdriver and nobody knows you were there.I'll see if i can find the article a friend wrote for a magazine in the U.K. You might find it interesting!;)

I love the pistol probe.You can coin shoot for clad and not tear a soccer field or nice grass up.Even the most careful diggers kill grass during dry weather.You use the pistol probe and a screwdriver and nobody knows you were there.I'll see if i can find the article a friend wrote for a magazine in the U.K. You might find it interesting!;)

The reason that I ordered the Pistol Probe!

check this out

hi your spot on here is a copy of a article i did on there so called best of the best probes fell on death ears I have to say they are way over priced for a metal detector, and in short that's what the probe is, and shaped into a hand held metal detector that can only go 2 inches deep at best. taking into account that even the cheapest metal detector on a stick far less work goes into making a probe, e.g.: no search head, no control box, or wires, not even the steams to name a few. All they are very basic components, and are all metal. unlike a 30 pound detector you can buy off say eBay, that will go far more that 2 inches on a 1p coin, the probe can just about do. It may be the best however it is still not right good for 90 notes. We just have to put up with high cost low performance probes till some one pulls there finger out and does one that is very good, we are stuck with the so called best probe, and let's say none of the probes are that good anyway.

having had one taken to bits to see just what is used, they have a very small board inside and very thin wire that connects from the probe tip to main board behind the on off switch, with a 25p on off push button switch, the speaker is tiny 35p it has some fundamental flaws,1) the board does not need wires at all, as the board could just have tracks that slots into the small coil by way of a track female at its base, just like every pc has the likes of a ram board it just slides in snug fit. (2) having the speaker slot were your hand goes all dirt can and does fill the out let grooves in the out skin of the plastic probe, in time the speaker fills with dirt and the sound get quieter and quieter. Taping over the said groove does cut the amount of sound you will here. Under the rubber on off switch cover, once removed the board is open to any water or dirt. Should you end up with the specked full of dirt and getting no noise removing it will just snap the wires, as it did when we had it took apart. once you reattach the wires putting it back in is very hard indeed, point (3) the wires inside are shaped in way that when you remove it to free the dirt build up they become straitened on retuning it back inside the wires become trapped when tying to reinsert the board, when at last you can get the board to slide in pre formed slots the wire come off again, as it very flimsy indeed,

you can all see where we are going now time after time we put wires back on to have it kink yet again.
added this to the on off push button switch that now wont line up because the wires are kinking inside yet again making the on off switch Perdue to the reassess of out casing. making the on off switch almost impossible to refit, now if the board had a track on it and no wires, the board can be removed very easily and dirt removed by just about any one. The amount time spent doing this would push the cost to have dirt removed. This will far out way the cost of buying a new one. And this is what I ended up doing. So in all is it that good for 90 notes I think not.

Point 4) they give off far too many false readings, they also go off a lot when they become very dirty, so armed with this I decided to take it to an electronic expert to have his view on the so called best probe out there. He decided to take it to bits him self then the fun started. Once he had it in many pieces he said it's so basic that some on with right tools could produce this for around 15-20 pounds. He said the problem was a mould for an outer casing that would be expensive on a one unit, but mass produced as they are by Garrett he would see the cost being 25 pounds at best

Not bad for 90 notes hay!

I also would not want to go much further than 2" when I am trying to find a target in the hole, and that 2" depth and detuning comes in handy in that phase.
On the other hand locating targets from the top of the ground before I dig a greater range is extremely useful and I have figured out how to supertune mine with one hand quick and easy without using a stupid sliding coin and can easily reach targets with mine at least 4" or more before I dig.
Up to 6" on coin size objects when the ground is moist, as a matter of fact.
The techniques I use to do these things and make small holes and retrieve targets on an average of 20 seconds cannot be done with most other pinpointers except for maybe the Minelab.

Learn how to use it correctly the Propointer is invaluable and well worth the price.

Would you share any of this with the forum? I know I could use it because I hate digging large holes for a coin.

Point 4) they give off far too many false readings, they also go off a lot when they become very dirty, so armed with this I decided to take it to an electronic expert to have his view on the so called best probe out there. He decided to take it to bits him self then the fun started. Once he had it in many pieces he said it's so basic that some on with right tools could produce this for around 15-20 pounds. He said the problem was a mould for an outer casing that would be expensive on a one unit, but mass produced as they are by Garrett he would see the cost being 25 pounds at best

Not bad for 90 notes hay!
To this guy I would say "Why aren't you producing them if you can do it so cheap?" Very easy to criticize, but why hasn't anyone made one cheaper if Garrett has overpriced them?

To this guy I would say "Why aren't you producing them if you can do it so cheap?" Very easy to criticize, but why hasn't anyone made one cheaper if Garrett has overpriced them?

The guy researches equipment and doesn't just buy into the hype.All he is saying is you are paying more than you should be.he also showed you why so many pro pointers are breaking.It's good to have people like him or we would never see improvements done.

Since I started rusty nail mining in my backyard last year, I find myself de-tuning the ProPointer a lot, which could be a contributing factor for it's recent failed condition. These are old, rusted nails, usually just pieces, several in a hole. Sometimes I can fish around with a strong magnet, and clear out most of them. In this situation, more, certainly isn't better.

Think a couple of inches is fine for most handheld pinpointing needs. You can easily narrow down your target location to a couple of inches, standing up, using your main tool, my preference, I'm a tall guy. I have enough confidence in what my main machine told me, I don't need to double check before digging. If it's shallow, I do a smaller hole, or try to pop it up. Deep targets, I usually go larger, just to be safe, since deep, might be older, don't want to scratch our gouge something, that might have been really nice, collectible.

I'm back to the Centech for a while, but will start using the Propointer again, after repaired, mostly because I paid a lot of money for it, but it is easier to use, less delicate. Function wise, little difference for my needs, maybe a little more range than needed.

Would you share any of this with the forum? I know I could use it because I hate digging large holes for a coin.

I have posted these threads several times, if I discover something neat I always try to spread the word.
Here they are again.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=68678

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=82678

The second thread has a video I did on post # 14 that shows how easy and fast this one handed supertuning can be.
Just by wearing this strap increases my Propointer past that 2" mark if held correctly in a normal way.

A pack of 2 hole 3/4 in electrical conduit straps is $4.39 at Home Depot, and even though I have lost a few and given many away after showing this technique to several fellow MD club members on our summer meeting hunts, I still have plenty left.
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/cat...1vZbohkZ1z115w7Z1z117vg#/?c=1&1z117vg=1z117vg

I won't hunt without my Propointer, and I won't hunt without using this on my thumb.

Attachments

• P1030926.jpg
    P1030926.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 705
I really would not want a super deep pin pointer either as It is defeating why I use one. I have had many, and for my personal use I loathed the pistol probe. I even had days I wanted to throw my pp a hundred yards and just live off the grid in a yurt. I didnt like all the failure in the field with the pro poinetr. The pro has been my go to pp though, I just wish it was a liitle more reliable.:no:

I replaced the battery in my propointer with a Lithium one and if anything, now it goes to deep. I want to know where the target is. I have a detector to find it in the first place.

I have posted these threads several times, if I discover something neat I always try to spread the word.
Here they are again.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=68678

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=82678

The second thread has a video I did on post # 14 that shows how easy and fast this one handed supertuning can be.
Just by wearing this strap increases my Propointer past that 2" mark if held correctly in a normal way.

A pack of 2 hole 3/4 in electrical conduit straps is $4.39 at Home Depot, and even though I have lost a few and given many away after showing this technique to several fellow MD club members on our summer meeting hunts, I still have plenty left.
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/cat...1vZbohkZ1z115w7Z1z117vg#/?c=1&1z117vg=1z117vg

I won't hunt without my Propointer, and I won't hunt without using this on my thumb.

be a lot easier to just tape a nickel to your thumb.That strap would tear the insulation off my grip.Guys put nickels in their shoes to get the excal out of a null.One taped to the thumb wouldn't be all that bad for depth on a PP.

I just need to know when I'm close. I don't need 6 inches in a pin pointer I have a detector for that.

Simple supply and demand!!

If they are selling for $125 as fast as they can produce them, why would they sell them any cheaper? Consumers drive prices.

I want that 6" with the Pistol Probe so that I can pinpoint anything within 6" of the surface better before I dig, and make as small a hole as possible.

Pinpointers Again!

I started with the Hf. "Cen Tech" Pointer and must have got one made on a good day. Mine did the job and worked better than most (I Think), until I broke it trying to adjust the inside screw/lug that was Locktited into place! I now have the Garrett, the pistol probe, and a NIB Cen Tech. I use the Cen Tech as a Back Up to my Garrett and a Loaner. I carry and Use Both the Garrett and Pistol Probe, the Garrett for Shallow targets and close work, and the Pistol Probe for Deeper targets! The added depth and smaller tip of the Pistol Probe makes it Ideal for Sizing targets and determining the direction they are laying underground! Just to name a few. Coins, Rings, Square tabs, Folded or Partial round tabs, Sinkers, Small Canslaw, all pinpoint precise! Larger Canslaw, Cans, and assorted scrap, Pinpoint and size several places in a Larger circle! Twist caps and complete stretched out Round tabs pinpoint a little wider than coins and small Scrap? This is an example of the information we can get from our Pinpointers other than just where the center of the target is!!! I haven't even mentioned differences in volume and vibration helping in "determining Depth"! The never ending Pinpointer debate is a personal preference Issue! It starts at Pinpointing with only the metal detector and waving cups of dirt in front of your coil, to people like me that use two Pinpointers on every target! Everyone else falls somewhere in between Eh... GL & HH......Pat

Going on with what? I think the whole depth thing with pinpointers is a bit of a strange debate...I want my pointer to tell me when I'm close to the target not 6 inches away from it. There are so many threads about pointer depth but I just don't think depth is really all that important with a pointer....as I said, I want to know if I'm close to the target...I would gladly choose a pointer that had a 2 inch depth over a 6 inch depth but that's just me. Stats, numbers, whatever...get out there and find some stuff.
Exactly!

I just need to know when I'm close. I don't need 6 inches in a pin pointer I have a detector for that.
Yup :yes:
When people get to reliant on getting really deep with their pinpointer, they start to slack off on basic machine pinpointing skills. I see it in videos all the time. Lots of people that I have watched seem to take forever to find a target in a plug.

I started with the Hf. "Cen Tech" Pointer and must have got one made on a good day. Mine did the job and worked better than most (I Think), until I broke it trying to adjust the inside screw/lug that was Locktited into place! I now have the Garrett, the pistol probe, and a NIB Cen Tech. I use the Cen Tech as a Back Up to my Garrett and a Loaner. I carry and Use Both the Garrett and Pistol Probe, the Garrett for Shallow targets and close work, and the Pistol Probe for Deeper targets! The added depth and smaller tip of the Pistol Probe makes it Ideal for Sizing targets and determining the direction they are laying underground! Just to name a few. Coins, Rings, Square tabs, Folded or Partial round tabs, Sinkers, Small Canslaw, all pinpoint precise! Larger Canslaw, Cans, and assorted scrap, Pinpoint and size several places in a Larger circle! Twist caps and complete stretched out Round tabs pinpoint a little wider than coins and small Scrap? This is an example of the information we can get from our Pinpointers other than just where the center of the target is!!! I haven't even mentioned differences in volume and vibration helping in "determining Depth"! The never ending Pinpointer debate is a personal preference Issue! It starts at Pinpointing with only the metal detector and waving cups of dirt in front of your coil, to people like me that use two Pinpointers on every target! Everyone else falls somewhere in between Eh... GL & HH......Pat

Good post on the pistolprobes ability to show direction of targets.Cans,etc.And to detune one all you have to do is hold it up higher off the ground.Just depends on your preference.I stillknow someone who likes the hand full of dirt over the coil.Problem is if you know anything about sod,shaking the dirt off the roots is the worst thing you can do.And if you dig big holes please stay off the soccer fields!

Back
Top Bottom