Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > How to Use Your Metal Detector

Old 05-10-2012, 05:13 PM

Default What is zero discrimination?

And how does it differ from all metal mode? On my machine I know the sounds are different and I lose imaging on all metal, but I don't understand what the machine is 'seeing' with one or the other. In Zero, I get the random ghost signals, and it'll quit over junk with a 90 degree swing, but if it's not discriminating, why would it do that? On my display screen, nothing is notched out. What if I were looking for for nails?

I'm using an older Garrett GTI 2500, and unfortunately I'm not a brainiac when it comes to electronic stuff or physics, so if you can explain in 3rd grade language, I'd appreciate it

Edited to add - around my yard where it's junky I like Jewelry mode to cut out the gazillion signals, but I like Zero out in the pasture around the pond because there really isn't much out there and I like at least a few beeps now and again.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:21 PM
Elite Member

Zero discrimination usually means that you are going to hear it all. All metal mode is basically the same thing. All metal mode is usually a preset that has no discrimination whereas jewelry and coins will have some things notched out so you dont hear them.

If you are in all metal mode, if you find something metal in the ground, it should ding even at a 90 degree turn.

G2M

Old 05-10-2012, 05:36 PM
Elite Member

If you are in Disc mode with it turned right down, don't you still get just a little bit of discrimination ?

Old 05-10-2012, 06:17 PM
Elite Member

I could be wrong, but was told that an all metal mode will see it all but zero discrimination could still miss metal objects out of its' discrimination range.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:27 AM
Elite Member

I'm sure the definition of no discrimination is dependent on the manufacturer. No discrimination on some means very little discrimination, while on other machines it really means zero.
John

Old 05-11-2012, 01:40 AM
Elite Member

Good question! I have always wondered the same thing. Zero discrimination SHOULD mean it reads all metal, .....uh, well like all metal mode. I tried it a time or two on my 2500, too much junk where I was hunting. Went back to jewelry mode.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:48 AM
Elite Member

It's my understanding that zero disc. is some type of filtrated all metal so the signal is processed by the time the sound gets to your phones, and that's why zero disc. on units like the GTIs allow you to hear all the metal but break it down into different tones. This is definitely not an area of knowledge for me but I think that's basically the idea.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:29 PM
Elite Member

Detectors will still use filtering in their regular search mode, if they didn't then you would get screaming VCO type audio for everything you hit above your disc level instead of beeping at you when the built-in criteria are met, which is a good thing. At least, that is how most regular VLF detectors work.

Some detectors have manual ground balance in All Metal mode, which would be a viable search option for people who love digging. Some people actually do this as a main search mode. Liek if you are hunting a 17th century cellar hole and every single little signal is considered diggable.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:35 PM
Elite Member

"True" all metal mode means there is no discrimination at all and usually detectors with the true all metal ability will be advertised with it. Having the discrimination turned down to zero on most detectors there is still a little discrimination going on. Some detectors even have an "all metal mode" which isnt "true" all metal , its basically the same as having the disc level turned down to 0 , but it still discriminates a little.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:15 PM

The different between all metal and zero disc. is all metal is no-motionand has no discrimination for ground minerals so you have to adjust it manually. zero discrimination is usually is motion and has automatic disc. for ground mineralization. true all metal mode usually has greater depth but must be adjusted mineralization and is troubled by electrical interference(?)