to lesche or not

gunwolf

Elite Member
since losing my BN lesche over a year ago(had it one week) I went to lowes and bought a blade like planting shovel, about the same size as the lesche but rubber handle and curved blade. I used this all last year and up until I got another lesche from a friend. the lesche sure does cut a nicer plug...but that's where it ends for me. I am used to opening the plug, locating approx. where the coin is, then scooping around it and pulling the dirt out with the shovel. coin is in the shovel scoop 9 times out of ten. I have only scratched one coin in my year of detecting..until now.
with the lesche I have to jam it, twist it, flick it just to loosen the dirt, then I have to pull most out by hand...this means wider plugs.and with my neck and back problems the last thing I want to do is alot of prying, and twisting. I have scratched a whole bunch of clad coins since I started using the lesche. I was lucky on the seated I found that I saw it as soon as I flipped up the plug.
I know this will start a ****storm , but I am going back to my $6 planting shovel .

Gunwolf, I now what you're saying. I recently got a Lesche and like it but I will be using my old shovel for most jobs. It has a curved, 8" long blade about 2" in diameter and is all one steel piece with a plastic bicycle handle. It came with my Garrett almost 20 years ago. I've never seen another one. I need the Lesche to be less pointed, more shovel-like and a little longer. Just my 2 cents.

i'm happy with my lesche and for me it comes down to cutting the proper diameter plug according to the depth of the target(wider plugs for deeper targets). by doing this i'm not carving my initials on any coins while extracting them :lol:
actually wider plugs come out neater with less damage than smaller plugs.

I like my Lesches for tight work in grass, I use a freakin shovel on the beach and a freakin scoop in the water. :cool:

I use the ames for most of my hunting, but every once in a while I'll break out the k-bar knife for digging in tough ground. The k bar does pretty much the same thing as the lesche does.

If you want something with more of a "scoop" on it and want the sturdiness of the Lesche go to http://predatortools.com/item_details.asp?ID=2 this is the Predator Raptor made by George Lesche who is the original maker of the Lesched diggers. I do not have this one yet but plan on getting it in the future I am using the model 85 at the present.

Attachments

• raptor.jpg
    raptor.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 396
Digging tools

If you bought the Fiskars garden knife, you bought a better designed tool than the Lesche and many others!(notice I didn't say better made) Any decent knife will cut and lift turf, cut small roots, and break up most ground types. The curve in the Fiskars blade enables it to lift out soil and debris from the hole Easier and Deeper than any flat bladed tool! Take a good look at a Spade, and at any garden trowel. There is a reason they are curved! I carry a Fiskars Garden Knife and a 3in Ames trowel. I have to pull very little earth out of my holes with my hands... Good Luck and Happy Hunting..... :biker: :signals: :digginahole: :biker:

Lesche all the way for the General. Not as critical as the Pro Pointer for my happinesss in hunting, but close. I have tried several diggers and nothing compares to the Lesche. To me its just the right size. IMHO

to tell you the truth I have the Lesche & a $5 Fiskars that looks like the Lesche,& the the $5 Fiskars cuts thru roots alot better than the Lesche. The Fiskars may not hold up as long as the Lesche but I could have bought 6 of them for what I paid for the Lesche. Got it at Walmart. I think I need to sharpen my Lesche because it doesnt cut thru roots very well.

This whole thread is blasphemy....pure blasphemy!:p Really though, different strokes for different folks. I've been using my lesche for 10+ years and it's still going strong. If you like another digger that fine....I guess.:D

If you have a system that works for you then why change it? I like my lesche but I still take my fiskers when I go top the woods because I like it better for roots. It's just tools in a tool box. Different ones do different jobs.

Diggers

I read an article buy Charles Garrett about the digger he uses. He didn't show it but described it, It sounded like the Gator digger shown by texaspinpointer? He stated he has had it and used it for many many years! The thing I liked about it was the fact it had a Magnet on the end of the handle. That sure would make it more handy!!! Everyone Likes what they like and Uses what they Use, That's why so many companies make so many different diggers! Lesche makes a really nice looking model that is very dark steel with a black handle The one in the KC Lesche photo. I might would buy that one if they made one with no saw teeth! Good Luck and Happy Hunting..... :biker: :signals: :digginahole: :biker:

Shovel spade just about everywhere I go. Even show land owners it's much quicker and cleaner than poking around with a dinky knife/lesche. Quick three sided plug from two inches to twelve depending on depth. Boom, done.

Back
Top Bottom