Coil for deeper depth

Luce

Hi everyone! I am the owner of a Fisher F4 detector. It has been a good detector for me over the years. I was wondering if there is a coil that I can purchase for added depth? Are most coils universal? Thank you if anyone can help me!

Hi everyone! I am the owner of a Fisher F4 detector. It has been a good detector for me over the years. I was wondering if there is a coil that I can purchase for added depth? Are most coils universal? Thank you if anyone can help me!

There are different coils available , some for extra depth. Generally the larger the coil the more depth possible. Fisher may have deeper coils , and there are aftermarker coils available from companies like NEL.

What size coil are you running currently???

Just looked at some of your posts...from what I can tell you appear to have the standard DD coil that came with the F4 and at one time you went looking for a sniper 4".
It looks like you have done pretty good with this thing over the years, you have good soil in the NE and much history.
As mentioned bigger coils will usually get you a bit deeper but many have posted about some pretty decent depth with the standard DD in good soil using the F2/F4 platform.

Options...
Some have gotten a bit deeper using after market coils and I think a few companies out there have some that might do it, but honestly without knowing how deep you are getting now to compare this could be a fool's errand and not get you much more depth than what you might already be getting.

If you really want to get deeper and get better ID's at depth too, you are gonna need more power.
The upper end Fishers have it if you want to stay in the Fisher family, the F5 probably can do it and I know the F70 can reach mind blowing depth in good soil especially with the F75 DD coil mounted.
I easily got way past 10" in Kansas soil with mine, 12-15" on a few deeper targets which is rare for me where my usual deep ones were 6-8" but they are out there.
Even the standard concentric coil on the F70 got me to the 10" range pretty easily.

An after market big coil can cost you in the $150- $200 range or more with shipping...my never really used F70 cost me $400 so I consider that a more logical and better value than trying to upgrade an entry level unit into the big boy level.
Many deals like that and even some units that are selling for less pop up out there from time to time.
Also you have other deeper brands to pick from.

As much as I love the F2/F4 platform there us so much more you can do and deeper places you can reach with more power and a larger choice of possible settings and abilities.

Luce,

My opinion based on experience,,and I' ve read where some others with loads of detector experience have written I value and respect.

Most instances,,,A 10-11" coil is where an op will get peak performance depth wise on coin sized targets.

Now a bigger coil may get you say a deeper half dollar or silver dollar.

You will see where some folks find some rather deep coins even dimes while using a bigger than stock sized coil,,,but the question is what would the deeper say dime have sounded like if the stock sized coil would have been used and swept.

Bigger coils cost loot too.

Bigger coils are generally heavier too,, can make detector weight/ balance very uncomfortable.

I am not a fan of using bigger than stock coils--- now they do it seem have a place for say hunting at a beach and maybe a sports field.

IMO your loot would be better spent upgrading to another detector,,and yes this means you may take a hit find wise for a period until you get adjusted to your new to you detector.

And really a lot of " not so much increase" in overall depth on coin sized objects,,
mainly associated with bigger coils seeing more ground vs stock sized coils,,,hence no real depth gains-- moreso ground coverage,,,and don't forget your detector's separation/recovery in around trash and iron-- suffers greatly.

Take a look at what sized coil comes on many detectors,,by the different manufacturers--White's, Fisher, Minelab, Garrett etc..

It is not a coincidence to see them as stock coils offer coils like 11" round dd, 7x11" , 8.5x11".

Cheers

Thanks so much for your response and advice. Its been a long time since I've been on this forum so sorry for the late response. I am getting maybe 7-8 inches of depth now depending on the soil conditions. Larger objects I get more depth. I live on a 2 acre property that has been a treasure trove of finds. My house was built in 1860 and the property has only been detected by myself. I wish i counted the amount of coins that i have found but i would estimate maybe 300. Probably 100 buttons( some colonial), maybe 30 silver coins(a few Barbers) but no seated coins I did however find a 1809 half cent that leads me to believe there is much more to uncover with a deeper coil. I have reached everything i can with the F4. I think i'll take your advice and buy the F70. I assume it has the same set-up as the F4? I really dont want to learn a new detector brand. where would you recomend purchasing it from? Best deal. Thanks again

Just looked at some of your posts...from what I can tell you appear to have the standard DD coil that came with the F4 and at one time you went looking for a sniper 4".
It looks like you have done pretty good with this thing over the years, you have good soil in the NE and much history.
As mentioned bigger coils will usually get you a bit deeper but many have posted about some pretty decent depth with the standard DD in good soil using the F2/F4 platform.

Options...
Some have gotten a bit deeper using after market coils and I think a few companies out there have some that might do it, but honestly without knowing how deep you are getting now to compare this could be a fool's errand and not get you much more depth than what you might already be getting.

If you really want to get deeper and get better ID's at depth too, you are gonna need more power.
The upper end Fishers have it if you want to stay in the Fisher family, the F5 probably can do it and I know the F70 can reach mind blowing depth in good soil especially with the F75 DD coil mounted.
I easily got way past 10" in Kansas soil with mine, 12-15" on a few deeper targets which is rare for me where my usual deep ones were 6-8" but they are out there.
Even the standard concentric coil on the F70 got me to the 10" range pretty easily.

An after market big coil can cost you in the $150- $200 range or more with shipping...my never really used F70 cost me $400 so I consider that a more logical and better value than trying to upgrade an entry level unit into the big boy level.
Many deals like that and even some units that are selling for less pop up out there from time to time.
Also you have other deeper brands to pick from.

As much as I love the F2/F4 platform there us so much more you can do and deeper places you can reach with more power and a larger choice of possible settings and abilities.

Ive had good luck going neg ground balance, for depth, then making other adjustments to quiet it down as it can run chatty.

If you're going to upgrade detectors, you absolutely want to talk to one of our forum sponsers. They have great advice and can guarantee you a better price than you'll get anywhere else. Look at top right of home page and click on "forum sponsers".

I have to agree with tnsharpshooter. Well, I don't have to, but I do. My experience has been that after about a 15" you really don't gain much depth if any, just ground coverage. I like the 10-11" coils. For tot lot I like the 6x10.

I agree. Finding a deal on a more powerful unit might be the ticket. I picked up my F70 barely used for $340 on craigslist.Im learning it but it's great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom