Long shaft vs over under - Excalibur ii

Tilton

Elite Member
I just bought an Excalibur ii and I am wondering which one is preferred. I have narrowed my search down, manufacturer wise, and am going to go with an Anderson rod, carbon fiber. Just not sure which one would best suit me.

I will be using this in Hawaii, sand and in the water. Hawaii waves are crazy I assume since everybody keeps asking me if I am going to pick up surfing haha. I am 6'1" by the way, if that makes a difference. Read that I might need some kind of extension piece too? Not sure.

Looks like long shaft it is. Seems to be the biggest consences that I am finding. Might change my mind later on and do a hip or chest mount. Haven't swung it yet though.

The Excal works great on a shaft where the unit is mounted behind the cuff. The weight helps to keep the coil hovering just above the sand. That way you don't have to use as much energy lifting to keep it off the sand.

The over/under looks great, but I tried one and the counter weight benefit is not there. I got fatigued much faster. And the arm started aching.

I also used the chest mount harness. This is a great option also. Just the coil on the shaft is nice to swing and you have easy access to the controls of the unit. I didn't like hip mounting. In the front my belly and the unit did not get along. I found it hard to bend over. On the sides it was getting banged by the scoop or was in the way of swinging. In the back I couldn't see the controls.

I prefer my controls on my back. But i do have long and under the elbow shafts made. Backmount after a while you learn which knobs are which. And can reach behind you and tune the detector without looking. Backmount offers the most protection for the controls. In the front it can get hit with the scoop all day. Especially in waves.

Back
Top Bottom