Whites Classic 5 id vs. 1976 Compass Yukon 99B

Treasureseeker

I am thinking of purchasing a new Whites Classic 5 id Metal Detector to replace/accompany the Compass Yukon 99B Detector I bought new in 1976 when I was a teenager. My machine still works fine, but I was wondering if the Whites would be a much better unit (as far as depth or ability to detect) than what I've been using. The Compass has the ability to detect pennies (for example) about 6-8 inches deep and a few times I detected something but was never able to actually bring it to the surface even after digging down about 12 inches. Normally, I would give up, as I didn't want to make a huge hole. Now, years later, I wonder what those items could have been? Anyway, I've got an 11 year old son and I figured I would let him use the Compass and I would get the Whites. Does anyone have any insight or opinions regarding the Classic 5? I know Whites makes better machines, but I am on a budget. Thank you very much in advance for your advice. Jeff

If you get a second hand Whites Classic ID (its a lower frequency than the new one) it doesn't have to be very old and will match the performance of the new version and you will have a wide range of coils you can use fron the older Whites detectors.
Then send it off to Bill Crabtree and he will up the performance even more at a very low cost.
Your old Compass was a fairly good machine of the time but I found it (and the "B" series) to suffer from more false signals than say the top of range Whites of the time. A newer machine will be a revelation and by newer I mean even several years old.
The Compass weighs about 4lbs. The Whites is a bit lighter. Go for a Tesoro and you can cut the weight dramatically and still get great performance.
You could get the older Whites if you want I.D. and a good condition Tesoro for around the price of the new Whites. But don't dump the Compass as there's always the odd site where the older detector designs perform better than the new.

Dear Brian,
Thank you very much for replying and giving me the details that you did. I really appreciate it. I am currently saving up for a new machine. I may decide to get a more advanced machine when the time comes, it depends. Thanks again. Jeff

Back
Top Bottom