• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Years Ago

dstine

...when my mom was a kid, she grew up dirt poor living on a farm in the hills of Western Maryland.

They'd bought the place from the estate of the local vet. It had always been rumored that he'd lost a lot of money in the great market crash and therfore didn't trust banks. To that end, he was said to have buried all of his money in jars around the place. But of course my mom's family never found anything.

They worked hard, Granddaddy worked as a tunnel rat in the coal mines, and Grandma took in wash and mending and their little farm supplied fresh milk and butter for the railroad down in town. They had food on the table and clothes on their backs, but little else.

When time would allow, my mom and her sister played on a huge rock along the dirt drive. Many hours they sat on the rock, ran around it playing tag and the such. In fact, I have a picture of them standing on that rock together. They never once suspected that under the north edge of it held part of the old vets cache.

Times got tougher and Granddaddy lost his eye to the coal mines and couldn't work there anymore, so they sold the farm and moved down off the mountain where the winters weren't so harsh.

A year or so after selling the farm, the new owner was putting in fence near the rock and found a jar full of coins. I have no idea how much money was in the jar, but to my mom and her family, even $25 would have been a huge fortune!

Makes one wonder how many jars are still hidden around the old place...

Back
Top Bottom