What should you do if???????

oldybuygoody

Where I grew up I always heard of the story of a train load of confederate gold buried near my home town. Supposedly, when Sherman was on his march the rebels fearing he would get the gold unloaded the gold and went off and buried it. Now, I would like to go looking for this hoard so I could retire early but I have a few questions. Of course, any land that I would look on I would have a contract drawn up with the land owner as to what percentage he would receive of anything I found. Now, first of all, this gold would be in large bar form and I would assume it would have some kind of confederate stamp on it. Would the federal government have any claim to this gold since it belonged to the confederate states? And also, how would one go about selling such a large amount of gold without having someone coming to kill them for it? Any information and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!! HH!

Hmm ... this certainly is an interesting question. I'm anxious to hear the responses. Makes me want to call a government agency.

GOOD ONE!

Well, you can bet that wether the gov't has any legal claim to it or not, they'll want it anyway. I would think you would have two choices: Follow the three S's of treasure hunting - Search, sift and shut up, or hope they see fit to give you and the land owner a 10% finders fee. For real advice, I would talk to an attorney. Good luck in your search.

Treasurekidd said:
Well, you can bet that wether the gov't has any legal claim to it or not, they'll want it anyway. I would think you would have two choices: Follow the three S's of treasure hunting - Search, sift and shut up, or hope they see fit to give you and the land owner a 10% finders fee. For real advice, I would talk to an attorney. Good luck in your search.

If I do the shut up part, how would I sell the bullion? If a confederate bar shows up anywhere, there are going to be questions? Would it be possible to melt it down and then sell it? How would I mark the new ingots?

finding something like that would be a royal pain the keister. Next to impossible to unload. You would end up in court with the governement and lawyers getting all the value of it. I am sure there is a black market for it tho, but then again who could you trust knowing you had a large cache of confederate gold bullion.

Talk about a double edged sword :shock: Darned if you do, darned if you don't. That would really be an interesting story to follow.

1. Think small !!!!

Get youself a melting pot, and reduce the bullion down to 1 oz. units.

Easier to sell smaller portions at higher prices.

2. Relax your brain !!!! You have to find it first !!!! :yes:

1. Think small !!!!

Get youself a melting pot, and reduce the bullion down to 1 oz. units.

Easier to sell smaller portions at higher prices.

2. Relax your brain !!!! You have to find it fierst !!!!

That sounds like a good plan, but I think I'd hold out for the finders fee. Best of luck!

WThesing wrote "Relax your brain !!!! You have to find it first !!!! " .

Definitely need to relax!! Lots of research to be done before I think I'll even attempt to hunt for it!! But wouldn't it be the most awesome feeling to find a huge pile of gold!!!!!!!!!!!!

Simon, your a wise man. That would be the best way to unload it without calling attention to yourself.

simonthesearcher said:
Take one or two bars,cover the rest up again and do this once a year for the rest of your life,your working days would be over
Very true!!!

Great topic, something I have wondered myself about.  I think I would go the route of the melting pot and melt down a few bars a year.  I might even take a few classes on how to make "Jewelery" and make some pieces to sell on the market.  Gold should not be hard to sell... ebay might be a place to unload some of this "Jewelery"  Since gold is a fairly "soft metal" it should not be that hard to melt and pour into some molds of various shapes, crosses, stars, etc... no way they could trace that.

I suspect that the government would not have any claim to the gold, however they certainly would hit you with a massive TAX, at the very least it would be considered income and subject to income tax, I should think.

But by far the best advice would be to keep quiet about it  :yes:

I have also wondered what one might do if they found say 50 or 100 pieces of 8 at the beach... keeping it quiet seems the best tactic. :)

Yes, I've thought about the melting pot a bunch but the only problem with that is inorder to make bars, ingots, coins to sell, they have to be stamped as to their purity and only an assayer can do that. If I contacted an assayer I'm sure they would contact the feds. As to making jewelry, they also have to be stamped ie. 14k, 18k etc. and I would assume that a gold bar would be aprox. 24k. Oh well, I guess I'll just keep trying to figure it out just in case the day ever comes and I stumble upon that jackpot! Thanks to everyone on your advice!!! HH!

I was a silversmith. If I melt anything now either you want it or not, I could careless if I am a assayer.
Realy there are people who would buy your stuff.

So you wouldn't need an official stamp? Kool, let's hope I get to use this advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom