CTX Auto Sensativity Question

gordonquixote

Elite Member
I hunted an area in S. Georgia on Saturday and in the washed out areas I noticed a bazillion little red rocks (ie, lots of iron/rust). My CTX wasn't chatty when going over them but I noticed frequently that my auto sensitivity was at 7 and the green (recommended) number was 1.

Other times the sensativiy was at 9 and recommended was at 2.

I eyeballed a copper penny on top and the detector beeped but it wasn't very excited about it.

What's goin' on? Is the detector just overloaded by iron/red clay and that is the best it could do? I'm guessing depth was minimal.

I also didn't find much at all. When I was in areas with more black soil, auto sens was up at 24 or so and I was hitting clad at depth with no probs.

When it was down around 7 or 9, I wasn't digging anything.

I wish I had tried to bump it up on manual but I was tired of walking and had to get back home to do a few errands.

Try a different spot first, make sure it's back to normal with auto sensitivity values. I'm assuming you tried to noise cancel.

Sounds like very mineralized soil. Try ground coin mode and also ground balancing to see if that helps. Also try manual mode as high as you can without it going nuts on you.

If it still isn't working, that spot might not be huntable and might be time to move on.

I dont remember trying to GB when it dropped so low but I had earlier.

I thought that the machine auto ground balanced as well and it wasn't necessary to do it more than once when turning it on?

Yes, the sensitivity quickly rises in actual soil vs. the red clay mix. It's a shame because I was in front of some really old houses.

Ive been in a area like that and the auto sensitivity went to 1 I ran it in manual 24! And it ran without falsing very weird

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk

I thought that the machine auto ground balanced as well and it wasn't necessary to do it more than once when turning it on?

Yes, the sensitivity quickly rises in actual soil vs. the red clay mix. It's a shame because I was in front of some really old houses.

No, there is not an auto-GB. The FBS design allows for use in a very wide range of soils, and the machine uses the auto sensitivity to adjust for changes in soil. But in the users manual it suggests performing a GB only in really bad soil, which it sounds like you have.

Unless I read this wrong you did do a ground balance when you first started. If so most likely when you worked into the bad area the GB was way off.

If you did GB it I would turn off the GB feature and try it that way. If that does not work ( most likely won't) I would then turn on GB and do a manual GB over the bad area and see what happens.

As Jason said the GB feature is for bad soil and unless you have that the GB should be left turned off and let the machine run.

Ahhhh....thanks, fellas. I thought you GB'd when first starting to zero in and then it tracked like an MXT. I appreciate the info.

I wish I had tried a few more things but I was short on time. The area looks good enough for a return trip.

Yup, worth a shot.

I have a few places like that near me, very heavily iron mineralized soil, auto goes into the single digits and nothing helps.

Back
Top Bottom