Id question for CW bullet experts

KingTotsalot

Official Tot Lot King
Forum Supporter
Mabelvale, south of Little Rock, Arkansas
KT got to go with a fellow MDer today and spent 3 hours hunting a huge recently plowed field near the site of a documented CW battle near Lonoke, Arkansas.

Anywho, after 3 hours, His only CW find was the pictured pistol round, pretty sure from the oxidation it is CW era in origin. The dimensions are 10/16ths inch (.40625 in) diameter and 10/16th inch (.625 inch) in length. The round is flat based, not indented. Weight is 14 grams. Nice cream white oxidation.

Is this a .40 caliber or .41 caliber pistol round? It has been fired. Nice clean round apparently never hit anything!

I am seriously hoping it is CW in age as it would be my first Arkansas CW relic if it is!

Recovered a lot of other junk, including a 12 inch long handled crescent wrench (very rusty), a 5 inch long broken off filet knife blade (also quite rusty but also modern design), and a lot of small iron junk and one heavy piece of solid copper fitting!

Thanks for your assistance! Would like to know what type of pistol this was fired from if CW in origin....see pics.

Attachments

• Lonoke CW pistol round01.JPG
    Lonoke CW pistol round01.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 247
  • Lonoke CW pistol round02.JPG
    Lonoke CW pistol round02.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 251
  • Lonoke CW pistol round03 14 grams.jpg
    Lonoke CW pistol round03 14 grams.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 255
14 grams converts to 216 grains. With that weight, KT began to internet search for 40 caliber pistols and pistol bullets. It seems that the Colt 1855 Army revolver had a large production and was a chosen weapon for the US military at the start of the Civil War, and was produced in a 40 caliber for both round ball and a pointed bullet. The pointed bullet weighed 216 grains. This is a fired round and was a 1 ringer from the photo...not so evident on the actual round.

Unless someone can produce other evidence or info to prove this wrong, KT is going to assume He recovered an 1855 Army Colt fired pistol bullet! See further comment is later post, this thread...Thanks, Voraix!

Anyone got any other additional info?

That patina would suggest so... but I have no idea.

We need a CW ballistics expert.

Thanks! This site is known to produce a variety of CW rounds so KT has little doubt He found one! Fellow I was with found an identical one about 100 yards from where KT found this one!

I am posting it in the finds along with the more interesting of the other items collected!

Colt 1855 Army revolver

Ummm..what's this? Revolver commonly known as Colt Army was introduced in 1860 and was .44 caliber. Colt had a 1855 model too but then we talk about 1855 Root which was .28 or .31 or Colt 1855 revolving carbine which was either .36, .44 or .56

Voriax

KT stands corrected! Upon further research He found this reference to the Le Mat revolver...a most popular handgun among Southern troops! It had a .40 caliber barrel. Apparently this round is a Southern fired bullet! Here is my reference!

http://www.gunhoo.com/guns-and-other-weaponry-from-the-civil-war.html

Thanks Voraix! Although most handguns from 1860 on made by Colt were called Army....some were produced in 1855 also...but very rare according to my other source. And of course you are correct about the calibers ....not one for .40 cal in the 1860 Army model.

Reference to Le Mat revolvers with note of early models produced before the CW from 1856 to 1860 in .40 caliber: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LeMat_Revolver

Back
Top Bottom