New Etrac user lesson learned

digs colorado

Quick interduction new to forum but have been lingering in the shadow's for some time. Not new to the hobby bought my first MD in 77 a BFO high tech for the day. Moved up to VLF in the early 90's to a Whites Eagle Spectrum.

Awesome machine still use it to this day, 20 plus years on one machine and you understand what it is telling you. Upgraded this year to a Etrac hoping that new tech would reach the coin's that the old timers missed meaning me in paticular.

Out of the box did not think it was performing near as well as my White's. It was not pulling deeper coins in fact was only popping them out at about 4 inches. Needless to say with the extra coils I had got for it was not impressed. Spent countless hours trying to find the answer many of them on the forum.

I had tried every nugget of info gleaned off of the forums to understand what I was doing wrong, and how could I make this machine work as so many stood by.

Dug a plug today and place a penny in it, 5" down and it would not respond to it. Changed every channel, changed every setting nothing. Did a master reset! With that change I found two mercury dime's and a couple of wheat pennies in less the 20 minutes, place I had just went over minute's before.

A butt kicking experience I am still shaking, wanted to share my experience after a couple months of lack luster performance. This is going to be the deal changer, no more good coin's left in my home town that are not in my jar.

Hope this will help someone in the future, your forums are the only real place to find info from real people with real experience using the equipment in the field.
HH

Quick interduction new to forum but have been lingering in the shadow's for some time. Not new to the hobby bought my first MD in 77 a BFO high tech for the day. Moved up to VLF in the early 90's to a Whites Eagle Spectrum.

Awesome machine still use it to this day, 20 plus years on one machine and you understand what it is telling you. Upgraded this year to a Etrac hoping that new tech would reach the coin's that the old timers missed meaning me in paticular.

Out of the box did not think it was performing near as well as my White's. It was not pulling deeper coins in fact was only popping them out at about 4 inches. Needless to say with the extra coils I had got for it was not impressed. Spent countless hours trying to find the answer many of them on the forum.

I had tried every nugget of info gleaned off of the forums to understand what I was doing wrong, and how could I make this machine work as so many stood by.

Dug a plug today and place a penny in it, 5" down and it would not respond to it. Changed every channel, changed every setting nothing. Did a master reset! With that change I found two mercury dime's and a couple of wheat pennies in less the 20 minutes, place I had just went over minute's before.

A butt kicking experience I am still shaking, wanted to share my experience after a couple months of lack luster performance. This is going to be the deal changer, no more good coin's left in my home town that are not in my jar.

Hope this will help someone in the future, your forums are the only real place to find info from real people with real experience using the equipment in the field.
HH

Great post and congrats! You wont find a better con machine than the Minelab E-Trac!

Settings

I had a similar experience with my Etrac. But once I started using G4E's program, my finds skyrocketed. Check his web site for details. Between the Etrac and Compadre, not much is left in the ground.

The biggest thing for finding the deeper coins is to open up your screen reject pattern. The factory coin settings are far too restrictive. That, and go slow, slow, slow. The heavier the trash, the slower you swing.

Reset rewind

Whenever you disconnect and reconnect the coil u have, always perform a factory reset. I had this problem with my 10x12 sef coil when I got it. It would only hit at 4in or so, did a reset, works fine now.

Whenever you disconnect and reconnect the coil u have, always perform a factory reset. I had this problem with my 10x12 sef coil when I got it. It would only hit at 4in or so, did a reset, works fine now.

I change coils all the time and have never had to do a factory reset. Never had a problem or heard of anyone else having a problem when changing coils

Thanks for the help guy's. After the master reset, the machine came to life. I had tried just the reset as in the manual holding down the on button for a couple seconds but no change. Master reset was the key. The merc's and wheat's were all found about the same depth 8-9 inches. Having the Etrac wakeup and go to work came with some unintended consequence's. Not only will it find coins deep but finds everything deep. This thing could wear out digging tool quick. Have changed coil's a couple of times but she is still purring without anymore changes.

HH

I change coils all the time and have never had to do a factory reset. Never had a problem or heard of anyone else having a problem when changing coils

I asked Minelab engineer about doing a noise cancel or reset when changing coils he said the only thing you need to is. Remember to turn your machine on

Back
Top Bottom