New to forum and interested in starting in MD

TNFRED

Hi everyone, greetings from Chattanooga. I'm interested in starting in metal detecting, don't even have a machine yet. I'm a little leary of investing in equipment when there appears to be limited hunting ground in my area. Public land is off limits much of it is Civil War battleground and apparently TN has a very strict antiquities law. Any suggestions would be helpful and much appreciated.

Hi everyone, greetings from Chattanooga. I'm interested in starting in metal detecting, don't even have a machine yet. I'm a little leary of investing in equipment when there appears to be limited hunting ground in my area. Public land is off limits much of it is Civil War battleground and apparently TN has a very strict antiquities law. Any suggestions would be helpful and much appreciated.

Theres a few guys on here from Tenn, they do curb strips and private property. Man! That stinks that public areas are against detecting. I will not move to that state then.

.... Public land is off limits much of it is Civil War battleground and apparently TN has a very strict antiquities law.....

.... That stinks that public areas are against detecting.....

Here's a challenge for you : If you scroll through past show & tell bragging rights posts, from TN hunters, I bet you will find no shortage of md'rs posting finds, eh ? And .... although they're probably "tight-lipped" on where they're hunting, yet I can gaurantee you that it is not all on private land. I bet a lot of it is on public land (city and county parks, forest lands, etc....).

The "strict antiquities laws" you might have seen, are in all 50 states. There is not a SINGLE STATE, who's state-park system doesn't have *some kind* of "cultural heritage" boiler plate verbiage. But that would only be for state parks, not other forms of public land (fine then, don't find coins over 50 yrs. old in state parks :roll: ). It does not apply to other forms of state land, nor county lands, nor city lands, nor all-federal lands, etc....

Just avoid obvious historic sensitive monuments, and you'd be in compliance with the dire-sounding "antiquities laws" that can be found anywhere . Well, "can find" if you ask enough bored archies, or are a big enough nuisance snooping obvious sacred monuments. :roll:

Welcome from South Carolina !!!!

Since you said "I'm a little leary of investing in equipment...." I'm not sure what budget range you wanted to stay within, but if you just want a good inexpensive beginners detector to try first, see the link below for one you can get for about $66 using a coupon -

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showpost.php?p=2890340&postcount=4

…...then if you decide to later get a fancier more expensive detector you can always keep the other one for a back up or if a friend or family member wants to detect with you.

:mder:_____:mder: _____:mder:_____:mder:

TN is strict? That's news to me. Heritage sites like CW battlefields are federally verboten and state parks are by law off limits, but most public land in TN is open. Maybe Chattanooga is different- I've never hunted there.

Now TVA(which includes more states than TN)....there's your detector Nazis. You Are Not Allowed To Touch TVA's Water with a detectors electric field. They do charge and take detectors. Their logic is more idiotic than most goobermint sheep, but even if you choose to fight them and win, you lose.

The "strict antiquities laws" you might have seen, are in all 50 states. There is not a SINGLE STATE, who's state-park system doesn't have *some kind* of "cultural heritage" boiler plate verbiage. But that would only be for state parks, not other forms of public land (fine then, don't find coins over 50 yrs. old in state parks :roll: ). It does not apply to other forms of state land, nor county lands, nor city lands, nor all-federal lands, etc....

Completely agree.... Florida laws prohibits MD in state parks, but the laws aren't enforced as long as everyone stays on the beaches...

Realistically, just ask at the park entrance and obey - yes means yes ….. no means no...……….

Grab a machine have some fun and learn the rules in your area...… from there you'll determine if this hobby is for you and if you want to pursue it further.....

Welcome to the forum.
Grab a detector and start with your own back yard and grow out from there. Use the library or internet for old photographs of your area and determine what once was that’s no longer there. History is awesome when you’re the one uncovering it.
Good luck!

Welcome to "The Friendly" TNFred. I would recommend shopping around for a good price on a higher end used machine. Then you will have good equipment, and if you decide to quit or upgrade, the resale value would be about the same as what you paid. Some models are easier to learn than others, so consider that. There are places to detect around you, I'm sure. Joining a local MD club would really help you get going, too.

One more tip for the beginner: It takes time to get your "detecting legs". With me years ago, I was worried that my knees couldn't handle it. They were weak and wobbly when I came home from detecting. After persisting with a few outings, they got stronger, and now are not a problem.
Work on your swing, stoop, dig, and stand techniques. As always: GL & HH!

Back
Top Bottom