"all terrain" MD?

aldta914

Hey,
I currently own an Ace 350 and I was told( and came to realize )it's useless in wet sand

What are good all terrain options? I don't plan on diving in the water but i was on low tide wet sand and it went nuts... I'd like to detect on wet sand, shallow water..and all other terrain
Thanks!

I responded to your other post. The issue with the AT Pro is that it will not like the salt sand very much. You will want to look that the Tesoro Sand Shark, Whites Surf PI, Minelab Excalibur. or some of the fisher CZ detectors.

I responded to your other post. The issue with the AT Pro is that it will not like the salt sand very much. You will want to look that the Tesoro Sand Shark, Whites Surf PI, Minelab Excalibur. or some of the fisher CZ detectors.

Thank you,
how do those fare in soil though?

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that the Garrett ALL-TERRAIN Pro might be a good all-terrain detector :D

Hey,
I currently own an Ace 350 and I was told( and came to realize )it's useless in wet sand

What are good all terrain options? I don't plan on diving in the water but i was on low tide wet sand and it went nuts... I'd like to detect on wet sand, shallow water..and all other terrain
Thanks!

It is kind of hard to find a detector that does both well. Salt water and dirt machines are usually very different. The Minelab CTX is the only machine that does both very very well. Minelab Sov GT as well. Most prefer a machine for salt and one for land as they are usually so different. None the less you can make a machine do both. Just makes it more difficult.

The Excal and CZ would do fine. Just have to learn what to listen for.

Thank you

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that the Garrett ALL-TERRAIN Pro might be a good all-terrain detector :D

LOL :-P

Tesoro makes a few models that fit the bill.

I'll look into them, thank you

It is kind of hard to find a detector that does both well. Salt water and dirt machines are usually very different. The Minelab CTX is the only machine that does both very very well. Minelab Sov GT as well. Most prefer a machine for salt and one for land as they are usually so different. None the less you can make a machine do both. Just makes it more difficult.

Thank you for your input! …
I did tell myself after my first good find I will invest more into the hobby (most likely upgrade & purchase a smaller coil)

I have a xterra 705 and it will handle some wet sand you just have to have the tracking on with beach mode on and the senestivity turned down so it wont false on you

Hmm..

In wet saltwater sand, or in saltwater, you have only TWO options:

Multi-frequency VLF, or Pulse Induction.

The quest for the perfect metal detector to this point has been quixotic. Minelab, has come the closest to building a fully submersible beach machine that can discriminate out iron in wet sand and saltwater. The “Excalibur” uses Broad Band Spectrum, or “BBS” technology, and retails for about $1,500.00.

According to Minelab, their BBS operating system, “simultaneously transmits, receives and analyses a broad band of multiple frequencies to deliver substantial detection depth, high sensitivity and accurate discrimination for a wide range of target types.” The key takeaway here is “multiple frequencies.” Unfortunately, radio waves regardless of their frequency still have to be filtered and balanced in heavily conductive wet-ocean sand and highly mineralized saltwater. That limits the systems depth capabilities.

Single frequency VLF machines (Very Low Frequency) like the Ace 350, have even more limitations in the harsh saltwater environment. Take for example the Tesoro Lobo Super Traq. This VLF single frequency machine (17.9Khz) is one of the finest and deepest gold nugget finders on the market today. The Lobo Super Traq, is capable of finding BB-sized gold nuggets eight-inches deep in heavily mineralized ground, or a nickel in dry beach sand at 14-inches. Put that same nugget – or even the nickel, seven-inches deep in wet saltwater sand and the Lobo could walk right over it while chattering, or maybe without seeing it at all. Why?

The magnetic iron sands (“Black Sands”), salt, and high concentrations of other minerals in the water and sand conspire to bounce the radio waves away from the target. Conductivity and mineralization act like a shield around the target and create white noise that must be filtered electronically. Think of it as turning on your bright headlights in a heavy fog at night. All that powerful light is diffused and causes a complete white out – you can’t see anything three-feet past the hood of your car! However when you turn on your yellow fog lights, you can see a little further – not as far as you could in clear daylight, but further. That is why all radio wave machines must be “ground balanced” or tuned, to maximize their depth potential, and why BBS filters and multi-frequencies are so effective – yet still limited.

Unlike BBS and VLF metal detectors, which constantly send and receive thousands of low frequency radio waves per second, a Pulse Induction (PI) metal detector fires high-voltage pulses into the sand several hundred times per second. If no metal is present the electric pulse decays at a uniform rate with no anomalies. When metal is present a small “eddy” current flows through it causing the voltage decay time to increase, which creates a measurable anomaly. Unlike VLF radio waves, electronic pulses are impervious to the effects of conductivity and mineralization, and are unaffected by salt or black sands.

PI metal detectors give the user superior depth capabilities in all metal detecting situations and soil conditions. Using the same heavy fog at night metaphor that I referred to earlier, pulse induction is like headlights that cut completely through the fog as if it were not there at all. The trade-off for that added depth and clarity is the inability to discriminate, or block out iron targets that you generally don’t want to waste time and energy digging. While a pulse induction machine detects all metals without discrimination, the minute differences in the signal tone and quality can give a skilled and experienced operator a clue as to what the target may, or may not be.

Will one machine do it all? Not in my opinion. I always advise new beach metal detecting hobbyists to have a VLF machine for dry sand (as well as their other dirt detecting needs), and a PI machine for the water and wet-sand (and deep farm field and relic hunting). In truth, it all comes down to what you prefer and can afford. Good Luck!

Terry, I think I have seen you post that before somewhere - so thank you for your input - very informative as well!
I am in Westchester County NY as well - where do you usually hunt?

I have a xterra 705 and it will handle some wet sand you just have to have the tracking on with beach mode on and the senestivity turned down so it wont false on you
Thank you
What area in NJ are you located (relative to NY- or even AC)

Terry, I think I have seen you post that before somewhere - so thank you for your input - very informative as well!
I am in Westchester County NY as well - where do you usually hunt?

Drop me an email at [email protected] and we'll go out together. We also have a club with about 25 active members - Hudson Valley History Detectives on Facebook

I think a multi-freq machine like the DFX, a lot of programing though

People that want to hunt the wet salty beaches need to invest in the proper eqipment to do it. An older Sovereign is a great choice.

People that like motorcylces have dirt and road bikes.
People that enjoy hunting have rifles and shotguns.

The thing that is different about our hobby is that you can see a return from the finds.

Dont fool yourself into thinking , that if i turn down the sens a little
it will be fine . I might work and it Ok if just dipping in the wet sand for
a quick hunt , but if you plan on working the wet sand for long hunts
a Multi freq or PI machine is the way to go.
Splash proof water proof even better.

Some of the CZs are rain proof.

Sorry for the delay, I was trying not to go right to the CTX3030 as an option. I like mine but there are less expensive option that could work great. the 2 detector idea is a great one. I was very close to doing 2 tesoros before I went for the CTX.

Back
Top Bottom