• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Got me some big silver

Any Half is a welcome addition to the war chest. It may be odd that all 3 of yours are Barbers, still I can see you very happy to have them. You did a pretty nice job with the straightening. Congrats! Trapper

Third Barber Half

A Barber Half in any condition is a great find. I live on the West Coast and have found more Benjamin Franklin's than any other. Congratulations on a great find.
HH everyone

Congrats on the Barber Half! Nice.

Thanks!

Congrats! Always nice to get on some big silver.

Indeed! It is an event I wish occurred more often. I don't think I would ever get bored with it...

Awesome B-King! Rattlehead is a Barber half dollar afficianado...;)

I don't blame him. Barber halves are cool.

You could probably get it really straight by putting it on a block of wood and pound on it with a dowel about the diameter of your thumb. I thin piece of cloth between the coin and the dowel will insure you don’t create any new scratches. Cool find!

I think my father has a smooth vise that is bigger than the diameter of the half, so I am going to sandwich it inbetween some indestructible bacon backing and slowly close the vise. Hopefully, that will straighten it out as good as can be. If that doesn't work, I will try the wooden blocks.

Congrats on the Barber Half! Whenever I dig big silver Im like..."How did someone lose this huge coin??!!" LOL HH

For as long as there has been pants with pockets, there has been holes in pockets. If it were not for that one truth, we wouldn't have much of a hobby beyond beach hunting.

Righteous find right there, nice save!
Awesome find there! Wow! Congrats :)

Thanks!

Despite the toning on there, that still looks like the ground was kind to it. If you did some Ezest soaks, a few minutes at a time. Then remove, thumb rub, and repeat. I bet that grey toning would come right off, with zero trace of your effort (ie.: would retain a natural color).

I will probably just clean it. It has no value. The stretch marks from the bending are pretty clear. If it is going to be damaged, it might as well be clean and damaged. It does have pretty good detail despite the stretch marks. DId I ever tell you about the 1798 Large Cent I at the end of the last year? ;)

Barber halves are way cooler than the walkers anyway.......I think I only have two....

I will have to disagree. Barber halves ARE cool. Walkers however are the most beautiful of the silver coins in my opinion. Congrats on that 1853 half. I don't find much in the way of Seated, let alone a Seated Half.

I would settle for a bent Barber half any day. Congrats on the big silver.

Me too! Bent silver is way more preferable than unbent clad.

BCK:

Nice Barber Half. I found a 1898 S Barber Half several years ago in Indian Lake (Worcester) after the fall draw down; I thought it was a fishing spoon :grin:

Huh. I Have never hunted Indian Lake. Odd, considering how much hunting I do in Worcester. I may have to pay it a visit, but I won't wait for the draw down. Water shoes, scoop, and into the water I go! I hope I can only be so lucky. 1898S - that is a nice find. Congrats on that.

Congrats again man!

Thanks, man!

Congrats on the Barb half mine is 1899 my avatar.

Thanks!

Nice job!

Not a rock! Thanks :)
Nice find anyday in my book!

Congrats on a great find !

Very nice, congrats! Only 3 in your career? I see some of the new guys on FB posting finding 3 on their first venture out. LOL

I'm still at 0, I've probably past on those "aluminum cans" now that I swing the ML more. Definitely a feature the V3i would help with!

Massachusetts was hunted within an inch of its life back in the 80's. Hunting on public land isn't easy these days. I am sure permission hunts would be a different thing. I just can't bring myself to door knock. I get annoyed when people knock on my door unsolicited for anything... I do have one permission I am looking forward to though. The property was a farm from 1750 to 1950 or so.

You will find your half soon enough. Took me like 4 years to find my first.

Awesome half! That is really weird all the halves you have found are barbers!

I am not complaining :) Would rather they be Barbers than clad Kennedys. Last two halves I found before the Barber were just that. Clad Kennedys.

Any Half is a welcome addition to the war chest. It may be odd that all 3 of yours are Barbers, still I can see you very happy to have them. You did a pretty nice job with the straightening. Congrats! Trapper

Damn right I am happy! Silver halves are not a common occurance for me. Thanks!

3 halfs and all barbers? That's crazy !!!
Congradulations

Thanks! Some people have odd luck. I am one of those people. If only I could find a walker or a SLQ....

A Barber Half in any condition is a great find. I live on the West Coast and have found more Benjamin Franklin's than any other. Congratulations on a great find.
HH everyone

Only Ben Franklin I ever found was a Proof Franklin in a Coinstar (along with the quarter and dime from the proof set)

Congrats on the big Barber...a excellent dig!

Thanks you!

Back
Top Bottom