"Retro" detectors?

I don't know what you consider retro but many 20-25 years old detectors will easily compete with today's higher end models like the Fisher CZ's, and White's XLT's. The improvements in technology have not been as great as I had hoped. I remember thinking back in the 90's that by today we would have detectors that could tell clad from silver and easily detect a dime at 16in. Unfortunately VLF detectors seem to have hit a wall when it comes to depth, and though in some cases target ID has improved, for the most part it's still lacking.

Here's a now 25 year old 'retro' detector I just acquired that will get put to the test...I know from experience it can keep up with anything made today:yes:

My 8" coil on my Royal Sabre was destroyed and I just recently was inspired to stick the 3" coil I found in my "scrapyard" for extremely high trash areas. I was thrilled with the results, so it's now back in use!:grin:

I have the Daytona that is pictured one the first or second post. I haven't used it in over 40 years. I ought to take it out for a spin in the spring. Anyone else have one?

I miss my old Daytona. I wish I still had it. As for old detectors I like vintage machines and still hunt with them from time to time. I have an original Big Bud. Two original Silver Sabres. A Fisher 1210. A Teknetics 8500B and a 9000B. Two Garret Groundhogs. A Garret Ace 300. Two Garrett GTA 350s. A Garrett GTA 500. A Garrett 2500 that talks to you. Two Fisher ID Edges. A Fisher 1266. A Fisher CZ-6. A Whites 6000 and a Whites XLT but I never really considered it vintage. I enjoy the challenge of hunting with older detectors. They still find coins. I have had others in the past that I have traded off that I wish I still had. Some are no longer made. I also have a Fisher M-Scope. it would probably find a quarter a couple inches deep.
M-Scope2.gif
I have newer detectors too but I still enjoy using my old ones.

I have teknetics mark1 I'm rebuilding and can't wait to get it out in the dirt again. Great detector that still smokes them old coins.

I have a Bounty Hunter Big Bud Pro/SE and use it all the time, still works great:)

IMG_20160225_111802182_zpsj9mybt14.jpg
[/URL] [/IMG]

I have a detector from the 70's. A White's Coingetter. I need to find someone to look at the old wiring and see if I can get it back to new. :D

I have a Compass Judge 2, similar to th 77b models they also made.
They seem to have the uncanny ability to see through iron like it is not even there and still hit on high conductors.
Sometimes, in some situations old technology still has its uses.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cXxhIVZIrpg

Now why in the world would you go and do that to me??? :grin: Now I'm going to have to buy one and turn it into a waterproof MD! I have a river by me that's FULL or iron but has tons of history. I want one bad now!:lol:

I have 2 Sovereigns: XS & XS2 Pro, that are excellent beach machines. But since my beach time will be very limited this year, I'll need to try them out in the dirt.

I also picked up 2 Fishers: 1265x & 1280x Aquanaut. The 1265x is still a highly regarded relic machine, and Fisher still sells the 1280x, so it must be good to go. I have played with both in the front yard, but have never dug any targets. Now that the weather is getting warmer I may have too.

If I were to sell my Bounty Hunter, Big Bud Pro/SE can anyone tell me what it is worth?

From then to "now"

An interesting discussion here, not sure if it's just interesting to those of us that have "lived" the changes in metal detectors over the years or perhaps interesting to those that might want to know a little about the history of our hobby.

It's not my intent to write or claim that I'm an expert, that honor goes to people like Charles Garrett and others that pioneered metal detector design from BFO's to the wizardry of modern machines today.

There is however a book that I found when I first became interested in relic hunting and the Civil War. My interest in the Civil War became one not of North or South but one of humanitarian issues that ultimately resulted in the death of more than 600,000 Americans.

Howard Crouch, author of the book pictured was the pioneer in my opinion of finding Relics with metal detectors. Early machines like the Nautilus, Whites, and others were the only machines of choice in the day that began a subset to the hobby of finding coins, jewelry, and other goodies with detectors and called it "Relic Hunting".

There are those that would say back in those days that you could trip over relics and artifacts because there were so many scattered across the southern landscape.

To a certain degree there was some truth in such a statement but Howard Crouch conveyed in his book the real secret of finding things with metal detectors. They found deep things entangled in tree roots, big things, small things, gold and silver things were also found with these old machines that were to a large extent being built in garages at home by self educated people with an interest in what makes this contraption actually work.

One thing that was obvious in his writings was that you had to understand your machine! this was quickly achieved back then because there was only 2 or 3 detectors to choose from and they all basically did the same thing.

This requirement then was achieved ASAP because the secret to success was no secret at all. Howard Crouch knew that putting the coil over a target was primary to actually digging something up worth keeping and that research prior to turning the switch on was key to success and successful he was.

So, to a large degree we face the same thing today. I see a lot of posts describing hunts that include comments like "I dig everything" or my "number display is not real accurate on deep targets" and other descriptions that make one wonder about how far have we really come with todays machines? yes, there have been improvements but there's one thing that will surely never change if one is looking for specific targets and that is research research and a little more research.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom