Any idea about this trashed coin?

SueK

Forum Supporter
I found this at the old army base where I've found coins from many countries. This coin is obviously in awful condition, but the first side of the coin has an interesting design (powder on it to make the design more visible). I wondered if anyone recognizes the design and might be able to identify the country. The back side is pretty much trashed, and powder didn't seem to help. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• coin with leaf.jpg
    coin with leaf.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 306
  • back of coin with leaf.jpg
    back of coin with leaf.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 306
Looks like it is Asian due to the square hole, Chinese or Vietnamese comes to mind and most likely some form of charm coin.

Great! I'll focus my search on charm coins and see if I can find it. Thanks for your help!

Picture of the back of the larger "coin" and a smaller one I found in the same area. I don't see anything on the smaller item, but the larger one does show a couple of characters. Merc for size comparison.

Attachments

• coins.jpg
    coins.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 264
Thanks Matmit. I have done some searching, but as yet have not found a Chinese coin with that leaf or feather pattern on one side.

Maybe it's a marriage coin.....and the "leaf" symbolizes a Pachira plant (money tree bonsai)? Traditional symbol for good luck and fortune....

Maybe it's a marriage coin.....and the "leaf" symbolizes a Pachira plant (money tree bonsai)? Traditional symbol for good luck and fortune....

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll try adjusting my search.

Edit: Have done some initial searching....those coins are a bit dirty, huh? lol

Last edited:
Thanks Matmit. I have done some searching, but as yet have not found a Chinese coin with that leaf or feather pattern on one side.

The leaf is what is throwing me off too. Which is why I suspect some sort of charm coin, may not be Chinese, as quite a few Asian coins have the square hole, and I can't see enough of the characters to recognize them.

The leaf is what is throwing me off too. Which is why I suspect some sort of charm coin, may not be Chinese, as quite a few Asian coins have the square hole, and I can't see enough of the characters to recognize them.

I think I'll try my coin store guy today to see if he's got any ideas. Thanks for taking a look at it!

Back
Top Bottom