Help with Minelab buying decision...

TreasureHawk

Thinking seriously about buying a Minelab detector.

Looking at Safari, Explorer SE Pro or E-Trac. Maybe a X-Terra 705.

Any thoughts/reviews both positive and negative would be appreciated.

I was concerned about the recovery speed. Any thoughts about recovery speed.

Would you buy Minelab again?

I have been using a Whites Eagle Spectrum since 1992.

Thanks.

Robert :digginahole:

Pay a visit to your local Minelab Dealer

If it's at all possible, go pay a visit to your local Minelab dealer. If you're near Windy City Detector Sales, stop in and see our friend Ron. (You should also consider attending the Minelab event he's helping to put on - you might actually win a new detector!)

He can review what your needs are and help you make the correct decision. The Safari, Explorer and E-Trac are all great Treasure detectors. E-Trac is the top of the line with the most features. The X-Terra 705 is also a great machine, but it has different technology. You should really try to see them in person before you make an investment. It's also nice to build a relationship with your local dealer so you have someone you can refer to when questions arise.

Sonia

Thinking seriously about buying a Minelab detector.

Looking at Safari, Explorer SE Pro or E-Trac. Maybe a X-Terra 705.

Any thoughts/reviews both positive and negative would be appreciated.

I was concerned about the recovery speed. Any thoughts about recovery speed.

Would you buy Minelab again?

I have been using a Whites Eagle Spectrum since 1992.

Thanks.

Robert :digginahole:
Robert,
What kinda hunting do you do? That would help to narrow it down. If your a silver hunter the explorer SE or E-Trac is my pick every time!

Call me with questions. Love to help! Bart

First off I would take the Safari and X-terra off the list. The Safari is just a dumbed down explorer that was created for all the people think an Explorer is too hard to learn... and way too many people believe that, but the truth is the Explorer is like any other basic detector in that learning the sounds is the learning curve, not settings or programs. To call an Explorer complicated is insane. The X-terra is different technology and more likely just a mid range unit.

So I see it between the other two and I think the bigger problem than which to choose will be how you adapt. If you have been using the same detector since 1992 it's going to be a big change, and one you might hate at first. But even if that happens you'll probably be like I was and see enough to impress you to want to keep learning. I mean when a detector can impress you and you don't really even know what you're doing that says something!

I bought my first Explorer XS in 2000 I think it was, used it then had an Explorer II, used it and now have an SE. But the SE is where I stopped because I believe the E-trac offers nothing extra, and to me less if they messed around with the Iron mask (discrimination) or anything else that is a negative, because I think on the explorer they have it right. (but you gotta change to create something new to sell) I actually bought my SE at least a year after the E-trac was out so did have my choice of which to get. So my vote would be for an SE and with the extra money get a Sunray probe. There's really no way anyone can prove one over the other in an online detector debate, but I can say one thing and that's that I have probably found and dug a million targets with mine and they sure don't owe me anything.

Honest Opinion

I bought an Etrac a few months ago and really like it. Still learning it but I see what the experts on here are talking about. You can really dial it in. Every trip I figure something else out about the machine. If you like to listen to your targets, its the machine for you. There is a sweet sound for silver. The coin zones on the visual readout are really good also. As far as customer service, I only had one dealing and it was OK at best. A little lacking but again, only one experience to gauge it by. I would definitely buy one again. I still like Garrett products (my old machines) but haven't used them since. My kids have them now and are still finding good stuff right beside the Etrac.

I would cross off the Safari and Xterra as well. An Explorer would be a less expensive alternative to the Etrac while still packing the same punch.

Is Minelab still making the Explorer or are they selling ones they made a few years back? I also wonder if they will discontinue the Explorer range and just keep the Etrac as its replacement series. Like how the Chevy Cobalt replaced the Cavalier

I would cross off the Safari and Xterra as well. An Explorer would be a less expensive alternative to the Etrac while still packing the same punch.

Is Minelab still making the Explorer or are they selling ones they made a few years back? I also wonder if they will discontinue the Explorer range and just keep the Etrac as its replacement series. Like how the Chevy Cobalt replaced the Cavalier

I think with the addition of a new name the E-trac is not just the new generation explorer so both are probably here to stay. I usually say a couple hundred in the difference, but I didn't actually look amd do suspect it is probably more then that... as it should be to keep both around. But the big question is what are they going to do now that they pretty much reworked the heck out of those explorer guts. Personally I'd be ok with them just leaving things alone.

I have the SE Pro and the more I use it, the more I trust it, and that says something to me about it. I find myself looking towards my very trusted AT Pro only when batteries are low on the SE. I hunt with Pescadore a lot and he owns the 705. Both in my opinion are great detectors, but we have 2 different styles. I can stay on an old spot all day and be happy with a couple of older coins, going slow, taking my time, checking my signals. Where he hits more parks and schools, and likes to move fast, and walk away with a large coin count. Both detectors suit us well. It all depends on your style and your areas you will be hunting. The Explorer can be swung at a faster pace if you are just wanting to cherry pick an area or it is super clean, but does have more weight. It is all a matter of your style and preference.

Back
Top Bottom