You tube..Stinson beach again.

metaladdict

Elite Member
Some guy with an AT pro is detecting in the ILLEAGAL south part of the beach.:shock: No lifeguards or rangers to kick him out in the winter.
I guess he will find out sooner or later.:mad:

Maybe that's why he's doing it now.

Just curious... what's illegal about it?

R5

In the early days of m'ding forums, I heard of a guy who detected Stinson's federal for a long time. Something like more than a year, going up to several times per week. He was a newbie and simply didn't know any better. He would go broad daylight, nothing to hide, and no one EVER bothered him. Yup, right in front of manned lifeguard towers, right by passing rangers, etc.... No one ever paid him the slighted mind.

Imagine his surprise, when he eventually began to confide in a few other hobbyists where his "secret honey hole" was. They said to him "Isn't that off-limits?". Of course he simply assumed they were mistaken. After all, "what harm can you do to the beach ??" And after all, no one had ever said a thing to him. So obviously the error is on the part of those making this "illegal" claim. Eh ?

But after hearing that from a few more persons, he looked into it for himself. Hmmmm. All of the sudden it made sense to him why the beach was loaded with goodies (hundreds of coins any day he chose to go, virgin volleyball courts, virgin snack-stand lines, etc...).

He was half-tempted to simply continue. Since it was painfully obvious that no one cared (or was "appraised", etc...). Would you blame him ? [DON'T ANSWER THAT !! ] :roll:

What Rudy said,its national park,just like all San Francisco beaches.:mad::no:
I've hunted many parks..... I always ask the youngest kid at the front gate and remember their name. If they say yes then I go for it.... if no then the machine stays locked in the trunk.... never had any trouble......

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

When I started out i went to a park a few times built by army cor of engineers found alto of goodies one day I saw a ranger and asked for permission he said no and if caught they will take my detector lesson learned without harsh consequences

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

When I started out i went to a park a few times built by army cor of engineers found alto of goodies one day I saw a ranger and asked for permission he said no and if caught they will take my detector lesson learned without harsh consequences

Are you saying that in those times that you had already detected , that you "just got lucky " that no one saw you ? That's possible. It's also possible that the fellow giving you this answer could have cared less, nor would have paid any notice. But upon the "pressing question ", searched his minutia, & can cite various consequences for things like jaywalking, etc....

Not saying to throw caution to the wind. But ask yourself how often you've ever heard of a "detector confiscation " ? Invariably, any example/link that could be shown, will be for an obvious historic sensitive spot. Or someone who can't take a warning, etc...

Not shure why I asked just wanted peace of mind i guess I go to misquamicut beach in Rhode island as well and detecect during the day I know you not supposed to in the summer only after 5 pm I think but never had a problem if asked to stop i would but I have been asked by lifeguards if I find anything good answer is always just clad and lots of garbage which I make a point to show them if you nice to the people who approach you I think I goes far

... Not shure why I asked just wanted peace of mind i guess ...

I would have had "peace of mind" all those times I was detecting and totally ignored :laughing: That same ranger, with the question fresh in his mind, guess what will happen ? If/when he sees another md'r, he'll think "aha! there's one of *them*", and start booting others.

We had this happen at a state park near me. You could detect it till you were blue in the face, and no one ever had a problem. Till one day, someone went to kiosk asking permission. His question got bandied around from desk to desk, till finally it came back "no".

Then other md'rs in the area, unaware of this, started getting booted ! They traced the origin (date "scrams" started) back to this well-meaning newbie who'd gone in swatting hornet's nests :(

I would have had "peace of mind" all those times I was detecting and totally ignored :laughing: That same ranger, with the question fresh in his mind, guess what will happen ? If/when he sees another md'r, he'll think "aha! there's one of *them*", and start booting others.

We had this happen at a state park near me. You could detect it till you were blue in the face, and no one ever had a problem. Till one day, someone went to kiosk asking permission. His question got bandied around from desk to desk, till finally it came back "no".

Then other md'rs in the area, unaware of this, started getting booted ! They traced the origin (date "scrams" started) back to this well-meaning newbie who'd gone in swatting hornet's nests :(
Yep live and learn i guess

Lol, this was my case a few months ago... I kept going to a state park down in Miami hunting out in the water. Wasn't sure why I never saw another person hunting the water, and every time I went I found gold :D

I said hi to the park rangers every time they'd drive by and they'd just wave at me and I'd go back to pulling gold rings. Then one day "Park Ranger Management" drove by on their little golf cart and stopped where I was. I just sort of ignored them and kept detecting knowing that all the rangers were fine with me being out there. Sure enough 30 seconds later they got out and waved me to the beach :(

I asked what the issue was and they said I'm not allowed to detect below the high tide line in any state park in Florida. They were nice and said I could stay and detect dry sand, but had to get out of the water immediately... I did ask "why" lol I mean 99% of my finds were trash, so in a way I was cleaning up their beach. Must be sunken Spanish Galleon treasure :pirate2: a few feet off the beach that their trying to protect lol Their response was its just Florida law.

That's the last time I've been back to that beach, however, lately I have seen YouTube videos of people water hunting that exact beach lol I just happened to choose the one day that management was driving by...

Lol, this was my case a few months ago... I kept going to a state park down in Miami hunting out in the water. Wasn't sure why I never saw another person hunting the water, and every time I went I found gold :D

I said hi to the park rangers every time they'd drive by and they'd just wave at me and I'd go back to pulling gold rings. Then one day "Park Ranger Management" drove by on their little golf cart and stopped where I was. I just sort of ignored them and kept detecting knowing that all the rangers were fine with me being out there. Sure enough 30 seconds later they got out and waved me to the beach :(

I asked what the issue was and they said I'm not allowed to detect below the high tide line in any state park in Florida. They were nice and said I could stay and detect dry sand, but had to get out of the water immediately... I did ask "why" lol I mean 99% of my finds were trash, so in a way I was cleaning up their beach. Must be sunken Spanish Galleon treasure :pirate2: a few feet off the beach that their trying to protect lol Their response was its just Florida law.

That's the last time I've been back to that beach, however, lately I have seen YouTube videos of people water hunting that exact beach lol I just happened to choose the one day that management was driving by...
Maby it the management doing the detecting

Josh, a few observations on this story:

a) I'm sure you were grief-stricken @ your "ill-gotten" rings. But not to worry: Send them all to me, and I will absolve your conscience of all guilt !

b) I am utterly shocked there was not "confiscations", "jail", "tickets" etc.... A mere appraisal? Even "nice" as you say ? Say it isn't so !

c) and now you see or heard of others going un-bothered . Who just haven't happened to run into the singular concerned bureaucrat. Well gee, you'd best run out there and warn them of the impending doom ! :lol:

There was a story on fmdf one time, where some Florida hunters were disputing the boundaries of a particular beach. One hunter had gone into the Mel Fisher museum and asked the attendant on duty. Who gave all sorts of dire restrictions and warnings. The md'r took it to heart and simply never detected. Imagine his surprise, years later, when he was reading threads of persons who were detecting XYZ stretch of beach , for years, w/o a care in the world. Not sure if the Mel Fisher people had their facts wrong , or if it was simply a case of no one caring, etc... But the humorous part of the thread was where the first md'r was kicking himself, for having precluded himself from years of hunting.

Maby it the management doing the detecting

Could be, lol! Luckily there's plenty of gold to be had in FL outside of their state park :D

Josh, a few observations on this story:

a) I'm sure you were grief-stricken @ your "ill-gotten" rings. But not to worry: Send them all to me, and I will absolve your conscience of all guilt !

b) I am utterly shocked there was not "confiscations", "jail", "tickets" etc.... A mere appraisal? Even "nice" as you say ? Say it isn't so !

c) and now you see or heard of others going un-bothered . Who just haven't happened to run into the singular concerned bureaucrat. Well gee, you'd best run out there and warn them of the impending doom ! :lol:

There was a story on fmdf one time, where some Florida hunters were disputing the boundaries of a particular beach. One hunter had gone into the Mel Fisher museum and asked the attendant on duty. Who gave all sorts of dire restrictions and warnings. The md'r took it to heart and simply never detected. Imagine his surprise, years later, when he was reading threads of persons who were detecting XYZ stretch of beach , for years, w/o a care in the world. Not sure if the Mel Fisher people had their facts wrong , or if it was simply a case of no one caring, etc... But the humorous part of the thread was where the first md'r was kicking himself, for having precluded himself from years of hunting.

Lol Tom, thanks for volunteering to take all of these gold rings off of me! I've been having pirate nightmares ever since that day.... :laughing:

That's a crazy story... Probably missed out on countless gold/silver piece of eight coins... Funny thing is if you call the guard on duty at this state park and ask if you can detect the water, he says, "sure of course! people md the water here all the time!" :) I left it at that, don't want to ruin it for anyone else md'ing there.

Back
Top Bottom