• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

My method for cleaning nickels

NevTrac

Forum Supporter
I've been finding a lot of buffalo nickels and older Jefferson's lately. I've tried some different cleaning methods, but was never satisfied enough with the results. I wanted to restore them to their original color to put them in coin books.

I finally found a method that works. It's pretty simple, just takes some elbow grease.

Step 1: A brass brush, some dish soap and A couple minutes of scrubbing on each side removes all the dirt and grime, but the coin is still usually A dull purple/ gray color.

Step 2: A brass brush, some Bar Keepers Friend, and a couple minutes of scrubbing each side. The coin is going to turn dark purple/ black. Don't panic, the chemicals are working. Rinse and repeat step 1.

I didn't take before pics, everyone knows what dug nickels look like. Here are the after pics. I know you're not supposed to clean old coins, but these coins were worth 5 cents before and they are still worth 5 cents.:lol: Now they will look better in my coin book.

Attachments

• 10-17 finds 004.jpg
    10-17 finds 004.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 987
  • 10-17 finds 005.jpg
    10-17 finds 005.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 987
i dont know what a dirty buff looks like cause i havent found one in months:lol::lol:
bar keepers works great i used vinegar one time on a nickle little too much chemicals
curtis

Sounds like a great idea. I've tried different things and was never happy with the results. I'll have to give it a try.

Will the brass brush scratch the coin? Are the brushes that are used to clean golf clubs brass? If so I may use that... Do you lose any detail from the scrubbing? Mine has a date and I would hate to scrub it off...

Will the brass brush scratch the coin? Are the brushes that are used to clean golf clubs brass? If so I may use that... Do you lose any detail from the scrubbing? Mine has a date and I would hate to scrub it off...

I can't see any scratches on the coins I've done this to. Nickels come out of the dirt pitted anyway so I don't think tiny scratches matter. As you can see from the pics, I didn't lose any detail. If you have A coin with a barely readable date it could be a different story.

Keith

I use a SOS pad on my nickels, it is very, very fine steel wool, and it does not leave scratches, but as you said dug nickels are not worth much and I want them to look good in my collection, yours turned out real nice

Back
Top Bottom