• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Metal Detecting Tips? Newbie.

mws_1984

Elite Member
I just got a Discovery 1100 detector off Craigslist. Did a beach with no luck but a quarter and several pieces of junk.
So I just went out in my yard and tried it out. I came across a spot and it would beep but not every time I passed it over. Seems like it was every other time. I dug and over the hole nothing, then in the dirt I'd get a beep every other time.

If there was truly something there it would be consistent beeping right? I don't know how new the batteries are either, would that affect a reading?
I'm hesitant now to do any solid ground detecting as I don't want to be digging up all over and find nothing. Especially in my yard I rent so don't want to make the yard a mess.

First thing I would do would be get the new batterys. For the sake of learning, start by only digging at consistent signals. Run some coins past the coil so you can become familiar with what they sound like. Good Luck

First thing I would do would be get the new batterys. For the sake of learning, start by only digging at consistent signals. Run some coins past the coil so you can become familiar with what they sound like. Good Luck

I did have it set just to pick up Silver/Copper also. Definitely don't want to be digging up my landlords yard for junk. The beach maybe, yard no thanks.

I'll have to go out and get some new batteries if I can find a good deal I hope.

I did have it set just to pick up Silver/Copper also. Definitely don't want to be digging up my landlords yard for junk. The beach maybe, yard no thanks.

I'll have to go out and get some new batteries if I can find a good deal I hope.

Most importantly just remember to scan some coins and recognize the sounds of them so you know what a potential target could be in the ground. You could also scan some rings or other items if you wanted just to get an idea if your hunting the beach.

Most importantly just remember to scan some coins and recognize the sounds of them so you know what a potential target could be in the ground. You could also scan some rings or other items if you wanted just to get an idea if your hunting the beach.

I did do a scan of items as shown in the manual. Hopefully it is accurate enough. When I went to scan a nail, which was supposed to be discriminated out, it beeped. Maybe the nail was made from or coated in a different material but that wasn't good. I know on the beach I'll dig for anything, it's just sand. Dirt I don't need to be a gopher.

I did do a scan of items as shown in the manual. Hopefully it is accurate enough. When I went to scan a nail, which was supposed to be discriminated out, it beeped. Maybe the nail was made from or coated in a different material but that wasn't good. I know on the beach I'll dig for anything, it's just sand. Dirt I don't need to be a gopher.

You might need to turn discrimination up a little more, the machines tend to have the preset mark a little behind of what the actual is.

read and study the manual, read it at least twice, then it's just to go out and experiment

welcome!

Dig only consistent signals , the inconsistency of bad targets is just the discrimination circuit doing its job but having a little trouble with it. Have patience and keep at it , everybody gets discouraged at some point when they are starting out and its normal , but dont give up. The good stuff will come , you just have to put the time in.

Broken signals often indicate trash items, especially if you're swinging level and from different 90 degree angles...

Dusty

Back
Top Bottom