Fiberglass/carbon fiber trowels

NEA Farmer

I’m sure there’s a thread about these, but has anyone used them? I can’t find a good trowel that doesn’t bend. I don’t like showing up with a big shovel/sharp shooter when sweeping a yard or business property. I get ugly looks. Lol

I have used some of those plastic thin shovels/trowels mainly for when I cut a plug with my lesche and then use the plastic one to dig a bit further to not damage any potential coins targets. They also work well in softer dirt or sandy compact lake shores.

Man, you must be diggin some tuff stuff. I'd think structurally, fiber glass or carbon fiber might hold up but they won't hold up to the abrasion. As was mentioned, just get a Lesche or a shorty Sampson, 18" or 31". The only time I saw a Sampson bend was when a guy tried to pry, out of the ground, a 5" diameter tree root by standing on the handle. Then it only bent a little and was easy to straighten. I don't mean it bent right back in my hands but jammed into a crack in two big rocks, then we both pushed it. Eventually it got straight. They're tuff enough tools.

I have been using Hori-Hori knives for many years. I have even pounded them into rock hard clay without them breaking or bending. You can find them for around $15.00 on Amazon. I have tried other diggers but none have the solid fell of the Hori-Hori knives.
GT_Hori-Hori.jpg

I’m sure there’s a thread about these, but has anyone used them? I can’t find a good trowel that doesn’t bend. I don’t like showing up with a big shovel/sharp shooter when sweeping a yard or business property. I get ugly looks. Lol

Look up Lesche Sampson diggers. You DO NOT want fiberglass handled diggers. Imagine the outcome from a tough dig, youre pushing hard, the handle explodes (because thats what FG does) and your hand or arm drives down onto the broken handle.

Look up Lesche Sampson diggers. You DO NOT want fiberglass handled diggers. Imagine the outcome from a tough dig, youre pushing hard, the handle explodes (because thats what FG does) and your hand or arm drives down onto the broken handle.

Beat me to it. Do NOT put undo stress or pressure on such a tool,especially when it’s cold outside! Just don’t put yourself in that situation,it’ll tear ligaments and tendons up for LIFE.

modified Hori hori with a longer handle
For a better grip.

33lm99s.jpg

33ld176.jpg

Or the Black Ada
Less intimidating also with a big handle and a good grip

15zjd7b.jpg

2cnxlrb.jpg

Last edited:
I have been using Hori-Hori knives for many years. I have even pounded them into rock hard clay without them breaking or bending. You can find them for around $15.00 on Amazon. I have tried other diggers but none have the solid fell of the Hori-Hori knives.
View attachment 404520

I bought one of these last night at Home Depot. Seems pretty tough. Was hoping to dig a little today, doesn’t look likely though. I think I need to put a sealer on the handle, looks like plain wood with no protection from moisture.

Yesterday I took the new hiro digger out in the front yard where our old porch stood. I hit three targets a dbdug all three..... was able to recover all three targets something I’ve never been able to do. Found a state quarter, a can pull tab and three Lincolns stacked together.

Needless to say, I Love the hori!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom