First hunt with a buddy today, ACE 250 yields junk ring (real stones?)

SamFisher

Elite Member
I used his ACE 250, he used my AT Pro. We spent more time chewing the fat and comparing machines than actually swining. :lol: Anyways I found this junk ring, but was wondering how likely it is that someone would put a real stone in a junk setting. The big stone cuts glass, but is that a defining charateristic? Happy Fourth Everyone!

Attachments

• IMG_1303[1].jpg
    IMG_1303[1].jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_1304[1].jpg
    IMG_1304[1].jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_1306[1].jpg
    IMG_1306[1].jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 321
hey its junk but still a ring. nice find.

Well, I thought it was pretty nice looking ring even if someone else thinks its junk! It was still a fun day and good hunt...at least we walked away with something decent.

My grand total for the day was...

WAIT....

WAIT....

WAIT....

$1.76

For those of you whom have the opportunity to experiment with another machine, I highly recommend doing so, I learned a few new things today that I thought I knew.

Well, I thought it was pretty nice looking ring even if someone else thinks its junk! It was still a fun day and good hunt...at least we walked away with something decent.

My grand total for the day was...

WAIT....

WAIT....

WAIT....

$1.76

For those of you whom have the opportunity to experiment with another machine, I highly recommend doing so, I learned a few new things today that I thought I knew.

You got me beat by 47 cents :lol: must be the all mighty power of the AT Pro :lol:

Hey, that's still a nice ring find, even if it's junk. The stones are probably cz's at least that is what they appear to be to me. You and your buddy had a great time together and that is all that really matters.

Gemmy

The big stone cuts glass, but is that a defining charateristic?

Alas, no. The dirty little truth is that damned near anything will cut glass. Go outside, pick up the first pebble or rock you see, and you can see for yourself.

See, the information doesn't come from what the gem will do to the glass, it comes from what happens to the gem when you cut glass with it. When you take a faceted gem and scratch glass with it, the scratching creates a gouge in the glass along with a little debris field of microscopic bits of glass that grind back against the object doing the scratching. A diamond is extremely hard, and will be unfazed by this retrogrinding. But if you look through a loupe (and sometimes even the unaided eye) at the facet point of a softer gem used to scratch the glass, you'll see that the facet point has probably been damaged. So the scratch test won't tell you that something IS a diamond, but in many cases it will tell you what is NOT.

Note:
CZ has a mohs hardness of about 8, while diamond is 10. Window glass is about 5, and quartz is about 7.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohs_scale_of_mineral_hardness

PS:
I doubt that a fine gem would have been mounted in that ring, but it is a remarkably attractive stone. It might be a zircon which is a semiprecious stone that comes in a wide variety of colors, including yellow, and takes a nice facet.

Alas, no. The dirty little truth is that damned near anything will cut glass. Go outside, pick up the first pebble or rock you see, and you can see for yourself.

See, the information doesn't come from what the gem will do to the glass, it comes from what happens to the gem when you cut glass with it. When you take a faceted gem and scratch glass with it, the scratching creates a gouge in the glass along with a little debris field of microscopic bits of glass that grind back against the object doing the scratching. A diamond is extremely hard, and will be unfazed by this retrogrinding. But if you look through a loupe (and sometimes even the unaided eye) at the facet point of a softer gem used to scratch the glass, you'll see that the facet point has probably been damaged. So the scratch test won't tell you that something IS a diamond, but in many cases it will tell you what is NOT.

Note:
CZ has a mohs hardness of about 8, while diamond is 10. Window glass is about 5, and quartz is about 7.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohs_scale_of_mineral_hardness

PS:
I doubt that a fine gem would have been mounted in that ring, but it is a remarkably attractive stone. It might be a zircon which is a semiprecious stone that comes in a wide variety of colors, including yellow, and takes a nice facet.

:shock: Whoa thanks for the info. Gemology is a weak point for me.

Back
Top Bottom