Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   River Team 6 Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > General Hobby Discussion

Old 01-07-2018, 02:45 AM
Supporter

Coinshooting? ZZZZZzzzzzzzz....

Silver surfing OTOH, Yeaaaahhhh baaaaby!!!

My neighbor called the cops for me playing LED ZEPPELIN too loud...

They arrested him

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:47 AM
Supporter

Theres so many subset genres to this Sport...Take a lifetime to Master them all...Basic Detecting skills apply to each, but there are methods and specialty tools required ...Luckily, depending on the site, season and various other circumstances, a properly prepared guy can partake of several during the course of an outing...

Leave the house with the intent on Coinshooting, wind up relic hunting, beach sweeping, or cladding during the course of a day...weather and situation dictates...a guy might be on the way to the beach to water hunt gold, and then observe a tear out or old house demolition...You left the house with the intent on being a Waterbaby, and wound up being a Coinshooter!

I considered a "Coinshooter" was a person strictly focused on hunting for Pre-Clad era coins, which rules out totlots, jewelry, water hunting...does'nt even look at these opportunities or sites...its another subset skill with a primary intent...a means of identifying yourself and specific interest..."I'm a Coinshooter" title allows us to pattern the specific style, methods/gear if thats what we want to do....

In this light, the identifying titles of the various forms of Hunting focus, simply allow everyone to easily understand and relate to your intent and the gear you use...A dedicated "Coinshooter" would not be equipped or interested to hunt water, or totters, or do well as a quick broom Claddie...Different gear and methods and interest is all...

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:23 AM
Elite Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ_fPY7axmU
Bob Munden was the best coin shooter in the wild west

Old 01-07-2018, 09:40 AM
Elite Member

Smile

I am a coin shooter ... but as I practice I tend to have a lot of collateral damage😐
HH ,Dew
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2018, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Dewsweeper894 View post
I am a coin shooter ... but as I practice I tend to have a lot of collateral damage😐
HH ,Dew
Holy !!!! that is awesome! That early 19th century handmade rosehead hidden in all that junk makes your effort worthwhile.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:57 AM
Supporter

Talking

Hey, those Coinstar threads made me think that we need a new "terminology" called "Coinstarring"

Name:  coinstarhunter2.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  45.5 KB

John 3:5 Acts 2:38
Navy Vet

Old 01-07-2018, 10:04 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by GKL View post
Hey, those Coinstar threads made me think that we need a new "terminology" called "Coinstarring"

Attachment 403805
Green Screening

SE GP-PK151 Compact Collapsible Magnetic Prospector’s Pick Plainsman Leather Gloves

Old 01-07-2018, 11:36 AM
Supporter

Talking

Originally Posted by ME&MYACE400 View post
Green Screening
might be an idea there, maybe green screen a detectorist detecting in front of the local Coinstar for dropped coins.....

John 3:5 Acts 2:38
Navy Vet

Old 01-07-2018, 04:51 PM
Elite Member

Well it's pretty much been said. I consider myself a coinshooter because I hunt primarily for pre 1965 coins. I will dig lower signals when they ring steady, the target signal doesn't wander in location and I get a consistent VDI number. My detector is acurate, or I'm so used to trash signals that I can tell if its something interesting. I enjoy digging brass because I've dug 200 yr old flat buttons. Lead too because I like seeing musket balls and other bullets come out of the dirt. My biggest thrill is old coins I guess. You get a lot of clad quarters along the hunt because silver usually reads the same VDI but I swear......silver has a cleaner crisper sound.

Old 01-07-2018, 05:57 PM

Default Mix it up!!

I try to mix it up so I can get experience and see different types of finds. The area I live in is very good for that kind of thing. I can go to the beach whenever I want and hunt for jewelry or 'buried treasure' or I can hit up the fields or parks that I have access to. My entire area dates back to the 1600s so if I ever get the urge to set my iron disc low and relic hunt I can do that as well. Or I can set it to 40 on my AT Pro and go after coins/buttons or anything else.

Coin Shooting will provide a lot of satisfaction and fun, especially for brand new spankin' detectorists. That's how I started and how I got hooked. Start there and have fun for a while, then you can move on when you're ready. Happy Hunting!

Old 01-07-2018, 06:22 PM
Elite Member

I'm a can slaw hunter - quite successful as well!!!

Old 01-07-2018, 06:57 PM
Elite Member

I don't know any coinshooters who would not prefer to hunt pre-65 sites hoping for silver. I know I would but what do you do when you don't have that available to you, just stay home? To say that someone is only a coinshooter if they are only hunting for silver seems a little arrogant to me. Some people have the time and means to hunt every day but for one reason or the other do not always have the ability to get on a pre-65 site every day and so they go to a newer park or school to get their coin fix. Does that mean they are not a coinshooter because they only find clad that day and actually enjoy themselves? Give me a break !!! I have been detecting a long time and have been lucky enough to find some really nice silver finds. Heck, I have even found some of those silver coins when I was hunting areas that really shouldn't be holding coins that old. A few years back when I was hunting a lot I rarely passed up an opportunity to hunt with friends whether we were going to a modern site or a pre-65 site looking for older coins. I just enjoyed the hunt and what turned up, turned up. A little competition among friends is also a lot of fun. To me, hunting primarily for coins and having that mindset when you leave the house, makes you a coinshooter. I will not judge you or ridicule you if all you bring home is a pouch full of clad. Just my thoughts !!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
www.youtube.com/user/pescadoremetaldetect

Old 01-07-2018, 07:59 PM
Elite Member

Smile

Originally Posted by dirt weasel View post
Holy !!!! that is awesome! That early 19th century handmade rosehead hidden in all that junk makes your effort worthwhile.
Thanks dirt ! I always keep all my pocket knives but have not taken the time to learn much about them.
,Dew

Old 01-07-2018, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Dewsweeper894 View post
Thanks dirt ! I always keep all my pocket knives but have not taken the time to learn much about them.
,Dew
I was doing a geeky relic hunter joke (which I prefer over coins)we sometimes get overly excited about junk. Rosehead would be a forged handmade square nail with a distinct hand pounded wide rose look common on sites before 1820 or so. Pocket knife don't know much about.

Old 01-12-2018, 02:24 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by pescadore View post
I don't know any coinshooters who would not prefer to hunt pre-65 sites hoping for silver. I know I would but what do you do when you don't have that available to you, just stay home? To say that someone is only a coinshooter if they are only hunting for silver seems a little arrogant to me. Some people have the time and means to hunt every day but for one reason or the other do not always have the ability to get on a pre-65 site every day and so they go to a newer park or school to get their coin fix. Does that mean they are not a coinshooter because they only find clad that day and actually enjoy themselves? Give me a break !!! I have been detecting a long time and have been lucky enough to find some really nice silver finds. Heck, I have even found some of those silver coins when I was hunting areas that really shouldn't be holding coins that old. A few years back when I was hunting a lot I rarely passed up an opportunity to hunt with friends whether we were going to a modern site or a pre-65 site looking for older coins. I just enjoyed the hunt and what turned up, turned up. A little competition among friends is also a lot of fun. To me, hunting primarily for coins and having that mindset when you leave the house, makes you a coinshooter. I will not judge you or ridicule you if all you bring home is a pouch full of clad. Just my thoughts !!!!
Did someone write your only a coinshooter if you hunt only silver? I think I started this pre 65 thing with my post. I consider myself a coinshooter. My primary/favorite coin type is silver. I always thought that was the goal most of us are hunting. I mentioned I also like digging brass and lead, I've found some cool old brass and like musket balls and bullets. I dig clad and if someones gos out to target clad I'd say he/she is coinshooting. I'd also say here in Ct this whole small state has been tromped on since colonial times making the entire state a pre 65 area. It's just which areas have had the dust pounded out of it by other hunters and what spot may still hold a reasonable amount of silver coins left. If that's your favorite target like me. Ct is pretty small and between NY City and Mass. Probably every square meters been stepped on from early on. I also refer to myself as a treasure hunter, detectorist, sometimes Idiot and my wife has a few more.
Hey clad ads up. I just bought a 2 barell tumbler.
HH Pesc

Old 01-12-2018, 02:43 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by tinsmith View post
Did someone write your only a coinshooter if you hunt only silver? I think I started this pre 65 thing with my post. I consider myself a coinshooter. My primary/favorite coin type is silver. I always thought that was the goal most of us are hunting. I mentioned I also like digging brass and lead, I've found some cool old brass and like musket balls and bullets. I dig clad and if someones gos out to target clad I'd say he/she is coinshooting. I'd also say here in Ct this whole small state has been tromped on since colonial times making the entire state a pre 65 area. It's just which areas have had the dust pounded out of it by other hunters and what spot may still hold a reasonable amount of silver coins left. If that's your favorite target like me. Ct is pretty small and between NY City and Mass. Probably every square meters been stepped on from early on. I also refer to myself as a treasure hunter, detectorist, sometimes Idiot and my wife has a few more.
Hey clad ads up. I just bought a 2 barell tumbler.
HH Pesc
I was not referring to your post at all and I also prefer finding silver coins. Sorry if you thought I was referring to you because I wasn't. Not trying to start a controversy here but just believe that the name in itself depicts someone who primarily hunts for coins of any kind.

Sent from my Acer Chromebook R11 (CB5-132T / C738T) using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-12-2018, 03:05 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by pescadore View post
I was not referring to your post at all and I also prefer finding silver coins. Sorry if you thought I was referring to you because I wasn't. Not trying to start a controversy here but just believe that the name in itself depicts someone who primarily hunts for coins of any kind.

Its ok, I get it
First, I like you pesc. Been reading and writing to your posts long time. Your one of the guys here that helped me a lot Starting out. I have been known to be way too self conscience and thought I poked at something. Thought maybe I sounded arogant writing I hunt silver. I wish I had a quarter for everytime I dug a quarter. Dime, nickels, pennies. No probs here. HH

Old 01-12-2018, 03:17 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by tinsmith View post
Its ok, I get it
First, I like you pesc. Been reading and writing to your posts long time. Your one of the guys here that helped me a lot Starting out. I have been known to be way too self conscience and thought I poked at something. Thought maybe I sounded arogant writing I hunt silver. I wish I had a quarter for everytime I dug a quarter. Dime, nickels, pennies. No probs here. HH
Thanks for the kind words. I have no problem (or want one) with anyone here. I shouldn't have been so pointed with my remarks. I regret making the statement about arrogance. I always enjoy it when a new person post their first find and it's a handful of clad. I remember when I first started, silver coins were abundant but not the case anymore around here and I just don't want to discourage anyone.

Old 01-12-2018, 08:37 PM
Supporter

Do you remember Annie Oaklyz? Well, she was a coin shooter..

KEN

KEN

Old 01-13-2018, 01:28 PM
Supporter

I am a reformed relic hunter and now consider myself more of a coinshooter, not for clad, but primarily silver; however, on the days I fail to find silver, I claim that day I was relic hunting.