One awesome air rifle...

Zombikaze

This is a new toy that I got. It is a Benjamin Elite Powermaster.
.177 cal pellets
49.75" long
8.5 lbs
monte carlo/ pistol grip hardwood stock
Center Point 3-9x40 scope
1500 fps velocity

When It is shoot it cracks like a "real" gun. Well at 1500 feet per second it is faster than the speed of sound. I know with a price tag of around $300 I could have bought a "real" gun (but I have too many In my wife's opinion);)
IMG_1289.jpg

That looks nice, what do you use it for ?

There are pretty strict laws over here as regards using air weapons.
For an air rifle that is more powerful than 12 ft lb, you must have a firearm certificate.

The only shooting I've ever done is on .22 and .303 rifles, when I was an air cadet (many years ago). Then in later years, a little 12 bore Clay pigeon shooting.

UK Legal Limit

To calculate the power of an airgun you need to use a chronograph to measure the speed of the pellet (in feet per second) when fired, and you need to know the weight of the pellet in grains. Once you have that information you perform the following calculation:- speed(ft/sec) X speed(ft/sec) X weight(grains) 450240
This gives you the result in foot pounds force (ftlb).
As mentioned the legal maximum for an unlicensed air rifle is 12 ftlb which from changing round the above formula, gives the approximate values as follows:-
A .22 pellet weighing 14.4 grains, maximum permissible speed is 612 ft/sec
A .177 pellet weighing 7.9 grains, maximum permissible speed is 826 ft/sec
The corresponding figures for a pistol are 433 ft/sec for a .22 and 584 ft/sec for a .177
The pellet weights used in the above calculation are typical weights for the sizes of pellet but you must always check the actual weight of your pellet before performing your own calculation.

Nice gun!
I have been looking at something to get rid of some pesky starlings.

What made you get the .177 size and not the larger?

I can not believe your wife would ever think that it is even remotely possible to have TOO MANY GUNS.That is a myth,it just can't happen.It would be like the sun not coming up.You need a wife like mine,who has never seen inside my safe for more than a glance.I do need a new safe,I wonder, if i got one a lil bigger the same color, would she notice??

I use the gun for targets. I went with .177 rather than .22cal because of the higher velocity=more accurate. If I was to use it for varmint control I think it would do just fine. At 50 feet shooting at a target mounted on 3/4" plywood each shot blows out the back of the wood.:shock: not every shoot goes straight through but it a least blows the back out of the plywood.

I can not believe your wife would ever think that it is even remotely possible to have TOO MANY GUNS.That is a myth,it just can't happen.It would be like the sun not coming up.You need a wife like mine,who has never seen inside my safe for more than a glance.I do need a new safe,I wonder, if i got one a lil bigger the same color, would she notice??

You know how they can be;) She does want us both to get our conceal carry permits. That is "cool" because then I might get that compact 40cal. I've been looking at.:grin:

One can never have too much money or too many guns. :D Or, as someone else said, "I may have all I need, but not all I want."...:D RickO

You know how they can be;) She does want us both to get our conceal carry permits. That is "cool" because then I might get that compact 40cal. I've been looking at.:grin:

I already have my carry permit and just sent off for wifes permit through work.We are given off duty police status after 5 yrs although both have been with the dept longer.I have a compact 9mm and have a stub 38 for her.
Btw,I have been wanting an adult air rifle for pest.

So does it shoot on compressed air? A friend has several air rifles and he actually uses one to hunt deer with. .50 cal i think

So does it shoot on compressed air? A friend has several air rifles and he actually uses one to hunt deer with. .50 cal i think

It's a single shot, break barrel, spring-piston. The barrel folds down and compresses a spring piston(no pumping and only cock once) at that time it is loaded with the pellet...closed and ready to fire. As far as hunting I don't hunt. I don't have anything against it just don't. If I did hunt I think a real gun would be the way to go. With an air rifle you only get one shot and the chances of wounding rater than kill is too great IMO

Hey nice looking! I use an RWS 54 in .22 very much fun to shoot and deadly on small pests. As for too many guns, my wife only allows me to have 10 (cough-cough). Yeah, what she does not know, does not hurt me.....

You're only gonna get the 1500 FPS when you shoot PBA's.

With a springer that powerful you're best bet to gain and attain accuracy is to avoid flats, points and PBA's. Good heavy domed will give you a bit less FPS but much increased accuracy. With domes you should be able to bring the groups down to about 1" at 50 yds....lighter pellets will sail or tumble at the higher velocity.

Pretty sure that Elite is the same as the Silver Streak but, supposedly, with some of the accuracy issues corrected. I haven't researched that particular air rifle yet so not sure whether it is made in Turkey, Spain or China. Most of the high velocity springers are made in China or Turkey.

And so, okay, I checked. The Elite is made in China. I'm not saying this is a bad thing; I own several Chinese air rifles and pistols and, for the most part, am happy with their performance.

The 1500 FPS claim by Crosman/Benjamin is (per someone who tested it) "a myth". It probably will shoot around 1200+ FPS but not 1500 as touted. This is also not a bad thing since it's in .177 caliber. I've got two B-21's that I've tweaked and tuned and they shoot at close to 1100 FPS with very light pellets but their accuracy really smells at that speed. Heavier domed pellets work extremely well at around 1000 FPS and group quite nicely at 50 yards.

Also, if you're shooting the pellets that came with the rifle....dump them. Every review/report I read says those pellets are flyers and completely inaccurate and that's at a distance of 10 yards.

Oh...and I was wrong in saying "Silver Streak". It's the "Super Streak".

Yeah, I have a few air rifles and pistols. My last count was in excess of 150 of them; springers, pumps & CO2's. I'm currently restoring an old break barrel Predom Lucznik KL.187...

I used to hunt squirrels ane rabbits with an RWS. A man I work with uses his RWS for turkey hunting of all things. He is one of the best shots with an air rifle that I have ever seen.

Doug

Back
Top Bottom